Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just given my trusty little VW a makeover with some rattle cans and a tin of Hammerite.

I got very light overspray on the windows in places and my local car parts shop advised me that 1200 grade wet and dry would be good for removing it.

So I bought some and set about cleaning my windows with it.

My method was basicly wet the window with the hose pipe and then rub it with the wet and dry.

I now have really fine scratches / scuffs on the glass [brick]

You cant see them from the outside, and you cant feel them - they're only really light, but they really stand out when driving at night.

Now I have a feeling this is due to me not cleaning the windows prior to me washing with the wet and dry.

So, any ideas?

Should I retry the wet and dry with warm water and washing up liquid? Or will I only make it worse? I also read on the net that 0000 grade wire wool is good at polishing glass?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you would have been better off using a stanley blade on a 45 degree angle with water and scrapped the glass evenly.that wont scratch them and removed all defects.you need a special compound and pad to polish glass back up now!oooooops

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BAHAHAHAHA [lol-lol]

That Fail pic's just become visible to me Patch!

Well I was'nt to know was I?!? The man in the shop told me to use it.... and to be honest given what I paid for the car I don't give much thought to the results of anything I randomly decide to do to it

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've read on the net that 0000 grade wire wool would be good. But I think this would give the same results as the wet and dry? Somebody else said white tooth paste as its like jewlers rouge?

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
933 Posts
I was looking at this recently and found this thread over at detailingworld.co.uk . I think wire wool would have been fine to get the overspray off, as would a clay bar or stanley knife blade - but I think you are into the felt pad and jewellers' rouge territory now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts