Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forum for a while, but thought this was an appropriate time to register.

I have just had my 50000mile service completed at a VW garage on my golf, and after collecting my keys and checking my car i noticed that there was a scratch measuring approximately 2 foot along the rear passenger side door.

I have mande an official complaint about this so that they cannot say that the scartch occured after the service while the car was in my possesion, but I cannot prove that the scratch wasnt there before I took it in to service.

They have told me that they cannot be responisble for any damage to cars whilst they are parked in their car park (which i think its a load of crap), and they have also told me that the person who cleaned the car noticed the scratch.

has anyone else been in a similar situation before? if so, what came of it?

and also, when performing a service, what comes first, the service? or the cleaning of the car? they have told me that they clean the car first. but i would have thought it made more sense to service the car and then clean it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I had a paint chip out of one of the bump strips on my 2week old mk5 that was having some warranty work done. I complained and got the strip replaced with a newly sprayed one, I refused to accept a touch up.

From what i gathered, before any work gets done, someone makes an inspection of your car and records all such damage. So if the scratch isnt in his record you have a good case. If however your scratch happened in the car park before the check you might not. At least the car wash kid noticed it so they cant say it happened afterwards.

hth

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That is really annoying.

I always leave a not in the car saying "please don't wash this car" as I don't want some who doesn't give a fook waving a power hose lance at it or it going in a car wash.

Can only suggest you write a polite letter to the dealer principle stating that your car was damaged whilst in their care and that you expect them to have it fixed. You might want to copy the letter to VW Customer Care.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do they wash the car before or after the service though?

I enquired about them doing an inspection before any work takes place and they told me that the scratch wasnt significant enough for them to record it.

it isnt an extremely deep scratch, but the fact that it is so long makes it significant to me, and I would have thought a scratch of such length would be written down.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've been in a similar posistion, firstly I believe it is down to the dealer to prove that the damage existed prior to them working on the vehicle, this is normally done by them filling in a vehicle inspection form when taking reciept of the vehicle. If they didn't do this, then how can they not accept liability as the vehicle was in the possesion.

Luckily for me, the dealer that put a 4" scratch in my rear quarter pannel had complete a vehicle inspection form, and it didn't show this scratch, so they duely paid for a trip to the VW bodyshop to have the scratch removed.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Just re-read your post and you mention "scratch wasnt significant enough for them to record it", which to me would mean that the scratch didn't exist and they caused it.

As col.mc has said stick to your guns, ask to speak to the Service Manager or Dealer Pricipal to get the matter sorted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gutted for ya! I got a hole in my front spliter whilst at the stealers. I would have sworn it wasnt me who put it there. Buy had no proof. Gunna thoroughly inspect her before and after from now on!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stick to your guns and put it all in writing as others have said.

I took my car in for a service last October and they replaced the windscreen wipers as I had said they were making a noise when I dropped the car off. When I picked up the car they were even worse on the drive home so I called them as soon as I got in and complained, they arranged to have to car back in to check it out a week later. I never noticed but one of the wipers had come out of the metal and it was scratching my screen with a big scratch right in front of my drivers view. I did not notice as I drive to work and home in the dark. Its took me 6 months, about 100 phone calls (no joke) 2 service managers and they have agreed to pay me the excess on my insurance policy to have the screen replaced, got the call earlier today!

Stick with it and write a polite professional letter telling them that you want it fixed.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i noticed you're in bristol? can i take a wild stab in the dark and ask if it was heritage in brislington you had it serviced at?

if so, they have a very poor reputation on here i'm sorry to say!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no i had it done at mann egerton in swindon as it is closer to where I work.

They have pretty bad customer service as I have had work done there before and wasnt impressed. others at work have also given bad words about them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a similar experience with them kerbing one of my alloys. Only problem is I cannot prove it wasnt there before hand. Next time it goes in for a service I will make them walk around the car! Barstewards!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mann Egerton in Swindon is where my car came from some 3 years ago. I could write a book on their customer service! As a small example, for the first 50 days I owned it, it was with them for nearly 30! Not only did they not fix half the problems but both wing mirrors were badly scuffed whilst it sat in their car park. They agreed to fit new ones. Some 6 months later I took it in for a service and when I picked it up, it had a 2 foot scratch in the bonnet and my leather seats had turned from black to white! I never even drove it out of their car park before complaining! They agreed to send it to their bodyshop to have the scratch polished out and a lot of elbow grease from me restored the seats. If you see the way they "wash" the cars, you will understand why they get scratched. They certainly used to wash cars after any work was done.

Unless I have the misfortune of having to use their services, I have stayed well clear of them since and have always insisted that they do not wash the car.

I don't like "slagging" off dealers for the sheer hell of it but, if my experiences and the tales I hear about them are true, they come with an unenviable reputation! They could learn a thing or to from the Audi dealer next door. The service I had from them when I bought some TT pedal covers recently was fantastic.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't get me started on them!!!!

Too late!

I never had any bother with dealers until the last year. Went to one who scratched my rear bumper, forgot to tighten a shock absorber up and made a real mess of my wheel when changing a tyre. They were forced to fix it all FOC by me.

Second dealer who tightened the shock as I dodn't trust the 1st proceeded to put the ABS wire on the wrong way so withing 1/4 mile of leaving the tyre chewed the wire and the ABS light came on.

3rd dealer had the car in to replace a wheel bearing and somehow managed to wreck my bonnet. They replaced it but hammered out the mount under the bonnet rather than forking out for a new one!

That's all in under a year!!

I always try to remember to ask for the car NOT to be washed. Forgot the last time and the car was absoulutely filthy with muck from a farm road and the muppets must have set about it with a brisstly brush without rinsing it so I had to spend hours with my Scratch X to sort it out!!

Was hoping to sell the car before the next service cos I just can't face it again!! Want to get a BMW diesel now!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Quote: posted by Jo Jo Johnson on 23/03/2005 16:02:53

do they wash the car before or after the service though?

I enquired about them doing an inspection before any work takes place and they told me that the scratch wasnt significant enough for them to record it.

But it was significant enough for the person washing it to notice?[V]

They should wash the car after servicing too, at least that's what's happened to mine in the past.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts