Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Saw a 6 Series at a stealer today - yes please!

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  dc 
#1 ·
Was parked up outside a nice BMW stealers showrooms, I slowed riiiiiiiiight down in traffic to get a look, didn't care who I was holding up!!

Posted Image

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen a couple of these on the road around Wycombe (believe it or not!) and they look absolutely fabulous!! Seem to look as good in light colours as they do dark.

Last time I passed, BMW Park Lane has a cabrio in the showroom window in silver with the roof down - not that looked impressive! The 645i seems to be quite quick considering it's an auto carrying the extra weight of the hood mechanism - gets to 60 from standstill in 6 seconds!

#7 ·
I always liked them in pictures, but having seen several in the metal now, I think they are pretty hideous. Less 'lithe GT coupe', more '2 door 7 series'. And one thats crying at that (front parking sensors). It just does not flow for me, the front is too bulbous, and the waistline looks inflated.

However it seems BMWs flame surfacing, i.e. obscure curves that meet at odd angles and skew the cars proportions, is the 'look' they are actively trying to achieve. Problem for me is I'm not sure this is a new style we need to get used to - why does a car have to be ugly and lack proportion to be modern? The new DB9 is thoroughly modern but looks beautiful.

I can think of better cars to spend ?55k on though...a shame because I really wanted to like it!

Posted Image

#10 ·
Mike - I can't believe you don't like a BMW - this must be a first!

However little i may like a beemer (and the 5/6 series have caught my attention in a positive way recently), i would have any one of them over a Merc......

It's true that there's a stigma attached to owning a BMW, but notwithstanding this, and the fact i shan't be owning one for the foreseeable, i must say that BM's radical styling approach may be a longer term winner for some.

I do think you have to drive a car to judge it as a package but you can have an opinion at any point in time IMHO.

#15 ·
BMW are on crack. The styling is completely POO!

Most of the car looks really good, the stance is really nice, i have real problems with the front of all these new BMW's though. They just look so ugly!! I remember BMW's looking aggressive and angry, about to pounce at any minute! Now they just look like happy and smiley and about to throw up on you!

#16 ·
it dosent look the best but sounds and handles amazing the new 645 coupe with active steering will out run the merc sl500 no problem.i was on course a few weeks ago at rockingham for the new 6,x3 and 1 series we took all the cars round the track as well as competitors the new 645 is superb but very expensive.[:D]

#18 ·
My Stepdad's got a 7 series and has been invited to one of the 6 Series test drive days. Guess who he's taking along with him!! I'll let you know how they drive if I get my hands on one!

Must say I am reserving judgement on the looks until I see one in the flesh although I really like the 7 series so I'll probably like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.