Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Me and the missus are considering saving up over the next few years for a sporty 'weekend' car and we were looking at what options available.

I know a lot of you guys fancy the GTI and R32 which I understand to both be nice cars.

Similarly a Audi TT or Porche Boxter/ Lotus Elise might do the trick.

However, for around ?15,000, I could get myself a 1999 4 litre, V8, Supercharged Jaguar KXR with leather seats and a few other nice extras. I know the insurance would be a bit pricey, but surely the R32 insurance wouldnt be much better. I could save some money and got for a convertable XK8 (non-supercharged) with cheaper insurance but still looks really special.

So a Jaguar XKR costs around ?15,000 and a golf R32 with leathers etc costs how much? ?25k?

I'm new to the performance cars but can anyone tell me why I sould save an extra ?10,000 and look at a sporty golf over a Jag? Am i missing something here?

Again, I dont want to upset anyone and I love the GTI/R32, but after looking at the alternatives I really fance these sporty Jags!!!

What am I missing?

Matt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Again, i'm totally new to real performance cars.

I really like the look of the M3/M5 beamers (my dream car would be the new M5 but it costs the world!)

I am finding myself falling in love with the XK8/XKR though.

Do they drive like lemons or something? I have heard that they dont like to be driven fast are are more designed for cruising.

Has anyone driven one?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You'd be buying a 6 year old car with no warrenty and potentially huge repair bills if something goes wrong. Not to mention the fact that the servicing costs on the jag arent going to be cheap and also because its second hand, you'll have no idea as to how it been driven for the previous 60,000 miles.

I'd buy new over used any day of the week even if it did mean something that didnt quite have the appeal. But as posted above, you can get a very tidy M3 for about ?20k too. A guy at the office has an XK and he said they're not the type of car for sporty driving, they are GT cars designed for cruising.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Its all abotu old cars vs new cars mate. You could have a 1998 BMW
840Ci or 1992ish Porsche 911 too, but its a very different proposition
to the R32. Be prepared for unexpected bills and running costs, but yes
you could get an awful lot of car for your money!

Personally mate in ur position id spend 20k on a e46 M3
I wouldn't ...?20K is alot of cash but only buys you 3-4 year old
average condition example, and TBH with an M car I think you NEED to
have one thats under warranty. BMW just upped the price of a 1 year
warantee extension on an E46 M3 to ?1800+VAT....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lotus Exige every time, light, fast and VERY desirable.  Why buy a heavy old car when you could get yourself a 51 plate Exige for arround ?20K?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my dads porsche is for sale for less than 20k.

its great looking and super performance. but the best thing is its mega reiable, never broken down once.

lots of piccys and info here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2086041/1

thanks

Andy

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Lotus Exige every time, light, fast and VERY desirable. Why buy a heavy old car when you could get yourself a 51 plate Exige for arround ?20K?
I agree, if you only want the car for a bit of fun at the weekend, then a Lotus is the way to go. If you want a hot hatch I would pick the MKV GTI over the R32 any day of the week. TT - don't even think about it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

So it seems that old cars loose favour because of the large service and repair bills. Fair enough.

However, I would only be looking to run the car for one or two years max and then sell it. If it was an old M3 then I might be worried about how the previous owners had treated it. I just imagine that the average XKR/XK8 would have been driven be very sensible people (50 year old business types) rather than boy racers.

I know im gonna loose money on it, but I just want to be driving 400 horses and cruising to 60 in 5 secs.

Perhaps after looking into all the costs, I will just have to stick with my 2.0TDI!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about a *cough* Vauxhall VX220????

These are going for ?10,000 now!!!

I can get a tidy >>2003<< example with some manufacturers warrenty remaining for an amazing ?11,500 ono!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my thoughts is my dads cars a better buy [;)]

come to think of it though any 911 (old or new) will be a good solid car (providing you pick out a good one and not a total dog)

say for example my dads car has been with us for 10years ish so you know it has been kept tidy. you dont want to be buying a car with more than 5 owners imo

·
Registered
154 Posts
..no offence, but I hate the old school Porsche look, I'm sure it's a really great example, but I just can't stand the interiors on old cars.

I'd second the Lotus Exige choice, or if you're REALLY nuts, an Ariel Atom. My Boss has one and it

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The vx220 turbo now thats a nice motor out of the box i think the 0-60
is something like 3.9s or something like that, get a remap that should
shave it down to about 3.5s then you got a seriously quick car there,
as its based on a lotus iirc.

Sat

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So noone likes the VX220 then?

For ?10,000, surely you cant go wrong!
cant say im a fan of the way it looks, however, its a very very fast car

·
Registered
177 Posts
A weekend car to me says "fun! fun! fun!" and let your heart rule your head. It would have to be a roadster / convertible so the options I would look at are, as some of you are suggesting, a Lotus Elise / Exige, VX220 Turbo, or maybe something like a TVR. Not sure about the Jag though, just doesn't seem to have the same kind of appeal but that's only my opinion.

At the end of the day it's what YOU want and I wouldn't be too influenced by anyone else if it's going to be a short-term pleasure-mobile. Long-term main car (in the ?20K to ?30K price range) - a GTI. Just done a 100 mile familiarisation trip in my new one and I just know the more I drive it, the more I'm gonna love it!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi all,

Me and the missus are considering saving up over the next few years for a sporty 'weekend' car

Matt.
A few years is a long time in the automotive world,why not wait until you've saved however much you want to spend,then look at options.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Only just caught up with this post. There are loads of decent cars available in the ?15k - ?20k bracket, it just depends on how practical you need to be. If I wanted a fun, weekend car, it would have to be rear driven, have more than 4 cylinders and be reasonably rare. 911s, M3s, Clio V6, 350Z or maybe a well looked-after Skyline GTR (they do exist, my mate has one) spring to mind.

As for servicing on older cars, there is always the risk of something big going wrong. E46 M3s have high servicing costs and have a few well documented issues with the double vanos system. On top of that, I'd say that 90% of M3s have been thraped on a daily basis. That said, if you can find a good one, you'd have fun with it. There's always the older Z3-based M-coupe, but that's a bit of a Marmite car - I love them, but most people hate them. 911s are expensive to service but they are also made from granite so not much goes wrong with them.

Jag XKRs are lovely. The engine is awesome and relentless and if you get one with the R Performance pack fitted, it'll handle quite well too. However, at the end of the day, they are GT cars not lithe and nimble road-racers.

As for the R32 you mentionned in your post, I've had my MkIV for 2 years and haven't wanted to swap it yet. But for what you are looking for, I feel it would be a bit too sensible - even with a silencer-bypassed rasping Milltek fitted [:D].

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the great comments guys. Certainly food for thought.

The car wouldnt need to be sensible at all. If there was room for an overnight bag and maybe even a couple of small seats in the back, I would consider it a bonus.

I even thought about something like a Caterham 7 or a westfield for an ultimate driving experience. These would however take the practicality down to zero, but would be great fun. (And you might look like a prat driving one through town!)

A lot of it boils down to how much bonus we both make over the next 2 years! At this stage though, the little Lotus Exige seems to catch my attention the most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts