Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I read somewhere its some kind of scam to get names and addresses and stuff. Dunno how true it was.

Website has been around for a couple of years now though and all the reviews say 'its about to start' as does the website itself, they wont give any details of when, or with who you can buy your petrol with.

They needed 100,000 people to make it work. They have over 400,000 and it still hasnt worked, and so on. Seems dodgy to me, dodgy looking, poor website too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i signed up ages and ages ago. To date they still havent managed to get a discount from any petrol company. Bit of a waste even if it was a good idea

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I saw about this on Fifth gear a while back, and its been mentioned on other successfull shows, imo i dont think its a scam but it could well be. Afterall it is free and ive just put my name to it.

Got to love his name though

Ben SCAMmell - Pipeline Card Founder

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I saw about this on Fifth gear a while back, and its been mentioned on other successfull shows, imo i dont think its a scam but it could well be. Afterall it is free and ive just put my name to it.

Got to love his name though

Ben SCAMmell - Pipeline Card Founder
Doe's it ask for any details apart from your name and address? If it does, thats where, if it is a scam, the scam would come in.

It's been reviewed yes, but like I say all the reviews have said about it starting and it never has done. Check out how long its been going on.

They are getting a lot of info for nothing at the moment. Could well be completely legit, but why keep saying 'a couple of months' which is had been since I last looked in 2005!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Apparently its been going officially for 7 months, Registration includes details such as email address and home address, thats it really. No phone numbers.

If i get hassle via emails, i will block them, if i get hassled via post ill send them some dangerous animals or something back [:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Apparently its been going officially for 7 months, Registration includes details such as email address and home address, thats it really. No phone numbers.

If i get hassle via emails, i will block them, if i get hassled via post ill send them some dangerous animals or something back [:)]
Been doing some reading on this.

They sell your details to companies. The companies then e-mail you with spam. Also, pipeline sends 'unbeatable' offers from time to time and have signed up with an energy provider to bring you unbeatable deals. Of course, pipeline has a huge base of users now, huge base of e-mail and home addresses and thats invaluable to a company.

They recently sent one out for a GPS system to 's elected' users. Sadly, they left their tradedoubler link in the ad and didnt cover it up! [:D]

Waste of time and another way to get a database of users which is very very valuable, especially targetted ones, such as people signing up to save money.

Load of rubbish.

Search www.moneysavingexpert.com for them. Even Martin there, the owner who did a review from ITV is eating his words and condemned it.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Oh and one more thing!

The costs of setting up such a system would be huge, the cost of JUST the cards would be very very large.

Why would a retailer need an outside organisation to run this? Why would they be interested in doing this for an organisation? Can you imagine going to a company and saying 'tell you what, offer our users money off your petrol'. That company would turn round and say no, we'll do it off our own backs thanks with loyalty cards where we have our own database which we can use for our own purposes, like seeing what our customers buy at the same time and sell that data to claim the 5p back.

Why would BP, Shell, Jet etc even trust them?

Pipeline card is registered for VAT. Hmmmm, making over 60k a year then are we?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Very true and i fully agree on your points.

Im always a sucker for these sort of things and i never look into them that much.

I suppose as you put it , it is pretty much impossible from the way they are doing it. Im probably better going to a supermarket and spending lots to get fuel vouchers.

Anyway only time will tell.....

Dont petrol stations only make a couple of pence a litre themselves? i know it builds up with so much sold but remember they have to pay for all the delivery costs and stuff like that. Seems like if this did take off then its the stations that would be in the cack.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
That old chesnut. Looks like another 'sign up, click the box that says we share your info with s elected companies occasionally and sit back and watch every tom dick and harry company bombard you with spam emaisl. Just like everyone else does then!   

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
This one is quite clever though, they also have your home address. Think about all this 'shred your information' stuff we are told.

This is how easy it is for someone to get your name, address and e-mail. Thats a nice database for some companies, especially considering this database is full of people looking to save money.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I completely agree with Graham on this one, always thought it was dodgy and the site design is very amateur.

Glad I never signed up for it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
i did sugn up 2 xmas ago and still nothing.

Used my mums address and so far haven't received anything in hte post.

Thinking of getting my name taken off their list

Tam

·
Registered
811 Posts
I signed up at the begining of the year i think, but i only done it because Richard Hammond wrote a large collum in the daily mirror about how he signed up and recommends everyone else does.. sob did he get con'd too??

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Not neccesarily no.

You got to also remember that Richard Hammond and the publishers don't give praise out for free. They most probably would have got paid for the story. Normally the only free publicity you get is when you have done something wrong!

So he may have got conned as in the actual scheme, but I doubt he would have seen the site and thought 'ooo, I'll write about that'.

Just the same as they don't go to car companies and say 'hey, we'll write a great column about your car this month for nothing, just because we like you'.

This may have been set up for the purposes described on the web site. However, I HIGHLY doubt it. With any of these schemes, you need to pay to join and save money.

I saw it right from the start when I though 'ok, might give this a go' then thought to myself, hold on, how are they going to pay for 100,000 cards to be produced with your details on....that's a big cost and they are doing it out of their own pockets to benefit us?! Wow, he must be a mightly nice bloke! Especially considering they are also doing all the legwork for absolutely no money whatsoever!

So in my eyes, its a big scam and always has been right from the word go. You also don't get that many praising reviews for something thats not even running without paying something out to people. Praising review brings customers.....customers cost money to get in the first place....

We will soon enough see that the web site has had to give up the cause due to excess costs of getting the system up and running or a poor finanical climate and the retailers unwilling to co-operate.

Either that or the site will get closed down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts