Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys

Saturday around 2pm i was driving in my car when some Basta** in a nissan van reversed out of a side street onto the main road right into the front wing as i was coming down the street the impact was quite hard and activated both air bags ive got the repairers coming to pick it up some time this afternoon which the insurence approved but where do i stand as to blame etc sureley he,s to blame for this as you dont reverse onto a main road from a side street and as and when i come to sell the car it will be on the hpi regester now and i,ll have lost money on the car also i,m booked in with the docter this afternoon as my back is stiff and neck is aching so this is what whiplash is like so overall not a happy bunny [:(]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So sorry to hear that mate, i do hope you're OK. Those pictures make me sick to think that there are just too many people on the roads who don't care, have no regard for safety and they just don't deserve to be on our roads! [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(]

·
Registered
346 Posts
That looks nasty mate hope your ok, sorry dont know about the insurance and dont forget to put a claim against him for your whiplash, good look.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Feel sorry for you, however I'm not convinced it will be seen as entirely his fault. They could argue that you should have spotted the van reversing and taken evasive action. Hope it doesn't go that way but it could.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
From the looks of the damage to the car i would say that it could be repaired relatively easily.

Regarding the fact that both airbags have deployed, im not sure what the ruling is in such cases, and whether your insurance company would want to repair the car on this basis.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi mate sorry to hear/see you bad news. you do have to watch insurance companies and there approved repair places as sometimes it is easier & more cost affective for the to write the car off when it could be repaired by other places. you dont have to use one of there places even though they want you to believe this, I have got a number of a friend of mine that runs a company to help people in your postion and they will sort everything out even a hire car (maybe a golf). if you want the phone number just let me know, There is also no cost to yourself for the service he provides. all the best mate.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had he reversed out a few seconds earlier, you would have been to blame. As it is though, he hit you, you didn't hit him.. its clear in the photos that it is the other drivers fault, i mean.. its not like you can drive sideways into his van is it ?

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Sounds and looks like the other drivers fault IMO. Not sure about the possibility of repairing it, although it'd be better for you (in one way!) if the car was written off. Personally, if someone did that to my car, I'd prefer it was a write off so I could buy a spanking new one!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hope your'e OK. Keep on top of the approved repairers my colleague waited 12 weeks to get her Skoda, with similar damage, back from their approved repairers. They were waiting for jig brackets but apparently these have to be rented and take ages to come if they don't chase them.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Is it not against the highway code to reverse out onto a major road. Anyway if you were on the major road and he the minor it is his responsibility as he has to give way to traffic on the major road.

Did you get independent witnesses ?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
thats pretty nasty! Never like seeing a golf in that state! Hope your ok!

How come the side air bags didnt go off then?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Chaps,

You are not allowed to reverse onto a main road as far as I remeber from the highway code!

It would never be your fault!!

Airbags are expensive and need to be shipped by water from Germany. You will prob have some suspension damage as well as new wing, bonnet,chassis bend etc...

WHat's the trade price on the car??? You could be looking at 3.5K anyway

1 - 20 of 54 Posts