Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

After waiting 2 weeks for the SatNav Disc, i can at last make uses of the unit!!
Everything seems to be working ok apart from TMC.

The TMC icon is shown on the Route options. Under the Info page, i have s elect the second tuner to be TMC, and under the TMC page, it only showing Automatic station... but i dont' seems to see any TMC Alert... and when i listen to raido / CD, at the bottom part of the screen, its always showning "TMC: TMC Seek"

Does anyone know whats wrong with it? it don't seems to pick up any TMC info at all.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
i know it sounds silly but is the TMC icon next to the button on the map screen greyed out ? What about if you press the INFO button ? What do you get ? Any messages ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know it sounds silly but is the TMC icon next to the button on the map screen greyed out ? What about if you press the INFO button ? What do you get ? Any messages ?
The TMC icon next isn't grey out...

When i press the Info.. i can set the second tuner to be either Radio or TMC.. if i s elect Radio, the TMC tab is grey out... but if i set the second tuner to be TMC.. then I can go into the TMC tab... inside the TMC tab list.. all it showing is Automatic Station.. which already been s elected......
if i set that second tuner to be radio..... that TMC icon on the map page will then grey out...

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't have a TMC disk I'm afraid and will have to purchase one from
Teleatlas. They're about ?160 if I remember rightly

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't have a TMC disk I'm afraid and will have to purchase one from Teleatlas. They're about ?160 if I remember rightly
I got the DVD version of the SatNav, and i was told they have put everything on 1 disc....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the car to dealer again for them to look at why TMC not working..... They said to me they have checked all the options on the machine and taken it out to check all the cables at the back.. and whatever things they did... but still no luck...
They want the car back in for at least another full day... as they going to take the roof cloth off to check the cables and the arial...

Anyone have any problem with their TMC on the DVD SatNav?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I could be wrong but don't you have to tune the TMC in to ClassicFM as
they are the only broadcaster sending out the TMC signal?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definition from the TMC org: QUOTE: The Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a specific application of the FM Radio Data System (RDS) used for broadcasting real-time traffic and weather information. Data messages are received silently and decoded by a TMC-equipped car radio or navigation system. UNQUOTE

The MFD2 decodes the information, stores them as text messages and use the information to show traffic problem on the Nav map. If option is checked Navigation takes those into account and calculate route to avoid those traffic problems as much as possible. Depending on your country you may have one or several (or none...) FM radio stations broadcasting TMC data.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my car for nearly 7 weeks, and still not managed to get the MFD2 unit to function 100%. The car been in to dealer everyweek since i had the car!!
They just had the car in again for 3 days to replace the MFD2 unit as the tech guy said it could be the unit faulty.

So I phone them on Monday afternoon to see if the car is ready for collection: - No, sorry we still can't get the TMC to work and need to keep the car for another day.
Late tuesday afternoon, phoned them again to see if my car is ready for collection - Sorry, the tech guy have left for the day and no one knows whats happening with it, best leave it for another day. But they did mention they think the unit need coding to get TMC to work...
Wednesday - got email to say my car is ready for collection:
Arrive at dealer to pick up my car, along come the tech. I asked him - So, everything is now working then? He replied: Sorry No. There is nothing he can do to get TMC to work, because IT WILL NOT WORK. He said the TMC is not license to be use in this country. It works on the old CD version, but any of the new Passat, Golfs..etc with DVD MFD2 will not be able to use TMC in UK, however it will work over Europe!!

How am I suppose to belive that?? At first they said it could be wiring, then MFD2 unit being faulty, now saying TMC is not license to be use in the UK???

Does anyone here have New Golf, Passat,, Golf Plus that have spec the DVD SatNav? Does your TMC works?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm led to believe it is working as from time to time I get TMC messages i need to open & listen to.. but what makes me think it's doing bugga all is the fact that I can't seem to lock onto a TMC station (it says none available!) what else leads me to think it's not working is the fact that i've run into traffic jams quite often when the route guidance thing is leading me around!.. what's all that about? Isn't it supposed to know where all the snarl ups are & re-route you? Sorry if this rant doesn't help much!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm led to believe it is working as from time to time I get TMC messages i need to open & listen to.. but what makes me think it's doing bugga all is the fact that I can't seem to lock onto a TMC station (it says none available!) what else leads me to think it's not working is the fact that i've run into traffic jams quite often when the route guidance thing is leading me around!.. what's all that about? Isn't it supposed to know where all the snarl ups are & re-route you? Sorry if this rant doesn't help much!
There are 2 parts of the traffic thingy on the MFD2. You have the standard Traffic Report recorded from normal radio program usually every 30 mins. THe TMC is the txt version that should display a list of all the traffic jams, road works..etc. on what road, and that info get use by the SatNav to re-route your journey if you happened to be using one of those road.
On mine unit, the voice traffice report works from time to time, but the TMC itself never did. All i get on screen is "TMC: seeking" and when you go onto the TMC page, i only get something like "No station".

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mine is CD based and works fine..what happens if the dealer puts a CD ( TMC enabled ) instead of a DVD ?
When they had my car in last time, they tried another MFD2 unit (not sure DVD or CD version), but they said TMC works fine. So at the time they think its the MFD2 unit faulty, so they ordered a new unit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like the version of the Europe DVD you're getting does not include TMC codes for the UK. Probably makes sense, if I'm not mistaken the CDs supplied by VW when customers ordered the CD version of the MFD2 weren't TMC enabled either. Go to www.navshop.com and see if there is a DVD version that includes TMC for the UK. Look back over any sales bumpf you may have see if they bragged about any TMC features - if so you may be able to twist their arm and get them to buy a new disk for you.

Do you do a lot of Motorway driving? The TMC only works for Motorways and not A or B roads - not much use if you're doing a city commute all the time. I'd also say that it doesn't work that well on the motorway either - I was driving from London to Newcastle a few weeks back and they had closed the M1 at Loughborough. Signs on the M25 said it was closed and I happily continued all the way up the M1 thinking that the TMC and dynamic route guidance would calculate a different route for me. It knew all about the closed motorway (stop icon and dashed road on the map) but didn't reroute so I got stuck for 2 hours waiting to pull off the motorway with everyone else at Loughborough.... I wonder if I needed to tell it to take a separate route?

Like damianmkv says, try sticking in a CD version of the UK maps (with TMC enabled) and see if the TMC stuff lights up - presumably the DVD unit will read a CD based map?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like the version of the Europe DVD you're getting does not include TMC codes for the UK. Probably makes sense, if I'm not mistaken the CDs supplied by VW when customers ordered the CD version of the MFD2 weren't TMC enabled either. Go to www.navshop.com and see if there is a DVD version that includes TMC for the UK. Look back over any sales bumpf you may have see if they bragged about any TMC features - if so you may be able to twist their arm and get them to buy a new disk for you.

Do you do a lot of Motorway driving? The TMC only works for Motorways and not A or B roads - not much use if you're doing a city commute all the time. I'd also say that it doesn't work that well on the motorway either - I was driving from London to Newcastle a few weeks back and they had closed the M1 at Loughborough. Signs on the M25 said it was closed and I happily continued all the way up the M1 thinking that the TMC and dynamic route guidance would calculate a different route for me. It knew all about the closed motorway (stop icon and dashed road on the map) but didn't reroute so I got stuck for 2 hours waiting to pull off the motorway with everyone else at Loughborough.... I wonder if I needed to tell it to take a separate route?

Like damianmkv says, try sticking in a CD version of the UK maps (with TMC enabled) and see if the TMC stuff lights up - presumably the DVD unit will read a CD based map?
I know there are 2 version of the Map disc for CD satnav (TMC and Non TMC version), but as far as I know, there is only 1 version of the DVD map, and its have the whole Europe and TMC all in one.
I used to own the VDO CD and DVD satnav, and i had to get the TMC enabled version of the CD map disc, where as the DVD version its already have the TMC info on it.

If they do have 2 version of the DVD map disc, i think the one i got do have TMC, as the TMC icon isn't grey out and i am enable to s elect to use or not use TMC when working out routes.

As I not yet manage to to see TMC in action on my car, i can't comment on what TMC info it will show. However on my own VDO system, the TMC uses to show any roads that have problems (M, A, B roads). And when it picks up new updates, i get msg pop up on the screen to warn me about the traffic ahead and ask me if i want to de-tour. I have to say, the TMC info sometime isn't very up-to-date.. Either the traffic Jam never appear on TMC (due to no one reports) or Traffic Jam info don't get remove from the system when the road been cleared.

I haven't tried using CD map disc on my unit, i don't think it will work. Infact i don't think the unit will even play audio CD. I will borrow foxy's map disc and give that a try to see what happens..... [:(]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Aric, you're correct.. On second looks I'm receiving TIM recorded content (general traffic news).. & NOT TMC.. The display says No TMC Stations!

So what's going on?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aric, you're correct.. On second looks I'm receiving TIM recorded content (general traffic news).. & NOT TMC.. The display says No TMC Stations! So what's going on?
The TIM is only normal broadcast of traffic report by the station, most headunit from the last 5-6 years should be able to pick them up.
The TMC on the other hand is only used by the SatNav unit or any of those Traffic Master unit. When you click on the TMC tabs under the info page, it should list all the road traffic, but on mine it just show "No Station".. ie.. it not picking up any of the TMC signal. If you then click back on either CD or Raido page, you should see the a msg at the botton center of your screen "TMC: Seeking"....
If so, sound like your unit not able to use TMC either...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts