Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bosses (partnership so I have a few!) has asked me to upgrade their home computer which I built for him 5 years ago. He doesnt want a new one, wants this one upgrading! I haven't been on the building computers scene for a while now as it's easier now just to buy them, but have come up with a pretty good spec for him, I'm upgrading the Hard Drive, MB, CPU and Ram, going to be an AMD Athlon 64 3500, Abit AV8 MB, 1gb Ram and the Western Digital SATA 10,000rpm hard disc drive.

He's going from an AMD 1.2...

Does anyone have any experience with these high RPM drives? Are they actually any better? Prone to failures etc?

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't have a 10K rpm but my normal WD SATA performs fairly quick for
my needs. It all depends on your Bosses applications.

I assume the speed would be a tad better but not mega fast. Have a browse thru the Overclockers forum.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
defo worthwhile

i can notice the difference and i do a fair but of multimedia work

just remember to have the sata device drivers when u install xp on their computer!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
10K RPM Western Digitals are very quick and so far so good on the reliability front! They also come with a huge 5 year warranty which is way better than most other consumer hard drivers, some which come with 1 and a few with 3 years.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Go for it. The WD Raptors are actually built tougher than cheap entry level drives, hence the 5 year warranty. Check the manufacturer's date sheet, you'll see it has an above-average MTBF rating (Mean Time Between Failure). I just built a server with six of them - 2x RAID 1 for the OS and 4x RAID 5 (3 stripe and 1 parity). Go for the 74 GB version though as it's faster.

One thing I definitely recommend for all modern high speed drives is forced cooling. Static air = insulator. Drives get hot. Even a low RPM fan blowing gently over the drive will make a dramatic difference to its operating temperature. If it's a server though then just load it to the max with the biggest, baddest fans you can find!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Hmm, that board you chose has SATA RAID. Buy two drives and stripe them, it'll go like stink. [Y]

Don't know about AMD boards but the Intel ICHR5 controller for P4 boards bypasses the PCI bus, it has its own direct high speed link into the core logic, so when you stripe a pair of Raptor drives you get over 120 MB/s peak sustained transfer rate without choking the PCI bus.

EDIT: Hehe, this was post number 1234 for me [:)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Graham, does he really think getting new motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard disk and all that in the same case means he is not getting a new one, merely upgrading?! Or does he have to hide it from the wife [;)]

Get a phat, quality power supply (Akasa PaxPower is excellent quality for ?40) and Crucial, Corsair or Kingston memory. These will ensure system stability is as high as possible.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have a Raptor drive too, very worthwhile though expensive. I just use it as a boot drive and don't put much stuff on it.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies people!

No, he doesnt have to hide it from the wife, he's a GP and does a lot of stuff from home, he also has 2 of his kids (one which is 8 and loves PC games) and 3 step kids living with him. He has a powerful graphics card in his computer already (well he thinks it is anyway, 128mb thing which I stuck in there a couple of years ago for him) and just wants to get a good system tailored for him.

Can't really spend much more on it, so raid isn't going to be a feature I will be using, I just don't like using cheap bits for other peoples computers.

Just didnt want to be putting in a 10,000 rpm drive that will knacker itself in a couple of months! The drive is primarily for the use of computer games and literally booting up etc, he wants it as fast as possible on a budget of ?450 [^o)]

The sata drive is the WD 74gb version. Haven't bought any of it yet, only got the go ahead this morning. He's already got the dvd writer etc etc, good sound card which he wants to keep, so buying a new one didnt make any sense to him. I will be putting a couple of extra fans in though. At the moment it vibrates the room as the CPU fan has gone stupid [:D]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Definitely don't skimp on the memory, just make sure you spread it across two sticks for maximum bandwidth (dual channel).

For the drives being fast (one of the main things that makes a system responsive), you might be better off using a pair of Seagate NCQ (Native Command Queueing) Barracuda (7,200 RPM) drives. They also have 5-year manufacturer warranty, just not the lightning seek times of the Raptor. You can buy two for the price of a single 74 GB Raptor. Then stripe them for loads of throughput - a single drive will clock well over 55 MB/s peak, double that for RAID 0. The motherboard has SATA RAID so make use of it, you're not paying any extra.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
have had raptor drives in my PC's for ove 5 years now...

not a single problem, quick and reliable!

?450.00 is a reasonable budget for this type of upgrade, looking at what you're planning you should have some change?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Delivery, fans and the little bits should leave me with about ?20 change. It's not a 'make money for me' thing as he already pays me to be here 9-5! [:)]

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
whos your supplier?? or is the ?450 inc VAT?

I just priced it up on Komplett, and it came to ?404.00 inc VAT

Might be worth giving them a try if you can save some money for either yourself or the boss!

[:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ebuyer at the moment, but the site is so slow I can't seem to get anywhere, always is weird from an NHS connection, dunno why. The prices I said were including VAT.

Was thinking of going to PC World and buying all the bits [:p]

EDIT: Just looking at that Komplett site, bit expensive innit!?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well considering the disk is for home use, and not for some serious
high power home user, i'd say that a regular 7,200RPM drive with 16MB
cache and NCQ will be just as fast for most tasks - AND seeing as the
largest Raptor you can buy is 71GB... for the same kind of money you
could buy a 300GB fully specced WD/Seagate/Maxtor SATA drive..

Surely he'd value space over total and utter balls out disk performance?

BTW - worth checking out http://www.todayonly.co.uk / http://www.scan.co.uk and http://www.aria.co.uk :)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
True, will look into it, gives the added benefit of if/when a drive fails too...good call mate.
No I meant stripe them, RAID 0. Doubles the speed. If a drive fails, you still lose the lot. The way I look at it, that's no different to a single non-redundant drive failing so why not spread it across two striped drives and get the speed. Just make sure he backs up the important stuff regularly.

If you don't have access to trade accounts I'd look at www.overclockers.co.uk before PC World. Most of the bits there are already carefully s elected for price/performance and quality.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL I'm only kidding about PC World! I can get access to a trade account to Computer 2000, but minimum spends make it silly! Have to look into this striping lark!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts