Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To save hijakcing GaryM's thread any longer after seeing his Sat Nav unit I have decided to sell my cd player and my PDA with TomTom and put the VW Sat Nav V.D unit.

Few questions as follows:

- As it needs a cd changer to play CD's, will any CD Changer fit it? For instance a non OEM JVC, Sony etc unit? Just I can get my hands on one for the time being instead of paying a fortune for the VW one.

- Would like to hook it up to TV, in reality, what would I need to do this? TV Tuner (how do I get one of them!?) and an adapter of some sort...anyone know the code for the adapter or what it is. Not bothered about playstation, I generally play the playstation in the lounge and don't wanna go out and sit in the car to play it on a 5" screen! 32" widescreen is much better!

- Does it have pre-outs so that I can have my amp connected up.

- Does it HAVE to be connected to the centre console screen in the dash? I presume voice commands come out of the speakers in the car. I only have the normal instrument cluster, how hard is it to connect it to it.

If anyone can answer any one of the questions it would be a great help for me to decide how much it's all going to cost me and how much I can get for the stuff I already have to sell.

Cheers Guys, Graham.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Changer needs to be VW

If you want to watch TV you need the VW TV tuner (around ?350) or a DVD with one built in like those on ebay. If connecting an aftermerket DVD without using the VW TV tuner then you need the Dietz 1212 or similar.

Preouts can be fitted using the same cable as for the Gamma.

Sat Nav works fine without the FIS, I used it this way for quite some time.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Eddy,

So would one of these do for the TV tuner?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67772&item=5770116388&rd=1

I could possibly mount that in the glovebox where the books supposed to go, would have to have a look at dimensions really.

Thinking about it though, with the cost of the unit (?400) the cd autochanger which I haven't priced up and then the TV tuner (?350)....in reality, I'm better off going for one of those motorized screens, but it wouldn't look OEM....either that or a carputer.

Gonna have to think about what I want. Could do without the TV, but it would be a very nice gizmo to have and I don't mind spending money on something I can take to my next car or sell later on.

Thanks for the info anyway, much appriciated.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
I have recently got a Navi and am still trying to sort my cd changer out.

You may find this forum helpful with information. http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/forums/index.php?

On there I found that I would be able to connect a Pioneer CDX 670 6cd boot changer to my Navi using an adapter for around ?50 from halfords.

This is not the case[:$]. I have a CDX P670 in my car which is only compatible with the P series headunit (one i originally had in the car and replaced with the Navi.) I now need a new CD changer too. I have bought a panasonic one and am confident it will work - it has the correct lead.

I believe that Martyn also has a non VW CD changer too. It depends if there is a compatible lead to run the non VW changer to the Navi - which connections are more or less the same as a gamma radio. I think[:S].

The sound does come out of the speakers and besides the hitch with my CD changer I cant fault the Navi at all. Its Great.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Martyn!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys. Think I will forget the TV route for now but look to getting the cd changer with the lead then see how much the total cost is compared to what I would then have to flog on ebay.

The main thing for me, apart from it looking sweet as anything, is getting rid of the cradle in the window of the car 'telling' people to break in and have a route around for a PDA even though it's not in there, they will still cause a lot of damage. The current PDA does hook up to my head unit though with ease via aux-in on the front of the head unit, which is the main reason i went for the JVC headunit I have in there.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm here!!!!![H]

Right here goes...

I bought a Detiz 1212 adapter off ebay - ?80 second hand.. This gives you a AV input and a set of stereo inputs for TV, DVD, Playstation etc...

I bought a DVD player off ebay for ?60 delivered and it does the job nicely... I want to use it for shows only..[:$]

The hand thing is it plays mp3's as well..

As for my CD changer - I bought a Alpine.. It runs of a little interface - ?160ish all in[<:eek:)] Great sound..

I have connected the whole lot up to my genesis amp by using a little pre-out lead - ?15ish

This allows the Sat nav unit to work normally - ie the voice is played through you amped front speakers[:D]

I think thats all you need to know[|-)]

LOL... Now all I need is a backup copy of the 2005 Belfast and Ireland nav software[:cool:]

Hope this helps m8[Y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou Martyn! Will have to now look at getting all those pieces together and come up with a total cost. Cool!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
BTW you can get a tv tuner and dvd player in one off ebay for ?115[:|]

Its just were to put the aerials cause they are HUGE[:S]

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I am getting the DVD, CD, and a new line drive built into my boot ATM[H]

Otherwise I would stick a few photos up for you[au]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL!!!!!!

Was wondering when you would pick up on it! [:p]

Seriously though, thanks for the help, just the info I needed as I can price it all up now and also see what I can get for the sat nav and stereo I got now. Shouldn't cost too much more. Only trouble is, the last time I did an ICE installation I ended up in casualty after putting the entire length of a stanley knife into my hand[:D] Me scared!!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Listen m8... If you hunt around you should get the whole package for ?500 all in..

For dvd, cd and mp3[:p]

And its dead easy to fit...

I just have to go for overkill with everything[|-)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am getting the DVD, CD, and a new line drive built into my boot ATM[H]

Otherwise I would stick a few photos up for you[au]
You doing the build yourself? And the DVD player, presumably it plays normal CD's if it plays MP3's...therefore, not really needing a CD changer.....it's becoming even more of a bargain!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It will play cd's no problem... but you will need to install it in your glovebox[:|]

The 6 disc a least you can load up an forget[:D]

I have started the build for the extra bits but I just dont have the time to finish... So th car is being left at a local ice installer while I am in london for a few days[:p]

Wait till you see my new alcantara covered seats!!![:#]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You posh git!!

Wheres your DVD player mounted? And how are you controlling it, as surely if your DVD player is in the boot, you can't control it from the remote....unless the VW unit can control it, which would be genius in itself.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You posh git!!

Wheres your DVD player mounted? And how are you controlling it, as surely if your DVD player is in the boot, you can't control it from the remote....unless the VW unit can control it, which would be genius in itself.
He is using the supplied Infra Red extender.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts