Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the advert for the half price one Halfords are doing so looked for reviews on it. doesnt sounds too clever to be honest. Im good with directions but can be a handy tool. Have used a Navman unit before and know TomTom are a known brand.So what would you people recommend?

Matt

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
I'd go with Garmin every time,they came up with the concept of portable sat-nav,and they seem to get it more consistantly right than any of the others.Tom Tom seem to sell more purely because of the way they are marketed,but I know quite a few people who have had them and complained abouth them losing sattelite reception for no apparant reason when other makes don't.
They also seem to be popular because you can download the alternative voices for them,so if you're thing is to have Ozzy Osbourne swearing at you every couple of minutes,buy a Tom Tom.

Chris.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just thought i would say that there are a few other sat-navs that i have looked at. Depends on what price your looking to pay but i have looked at the pioneer one which is very good covers all of europe and also has blue tooth hands free for your phone on it. Another one is the directed sat-nav which is very good my friend has one and it works great can do loads on it and has speed camera detector on it. My other friend has a tom tom and he has never had a problem with his yet.

Just a few ideas to think about.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I've got an older PDA based satnav system that has been really good, obviously also doubles as a PDA.

If I were to buy one now I'd go for something that has TMC capabilities so that it could re-route you around traffic jams.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 310 which you can download the speed cameras datebase to the unit rather than onto a mini sd card like tomtom.

The Nuvi is a very thin unit which has bluetooth and can be a mp3 player. There are also other bits and bobs in the unit.

Garmin are about to release a map update in 2007 but not sure when.

There are more helpful imformation over at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ and you can also download teh camera database from there and they have a forum too

Tam

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
 i have a tom tom 910 and cannot recommend it enough!!!!if you connect using your phone with it,you get live traffic updates via gprs and if your journey is marred by traffic jams,it automatically re-routes you without you needing to prompt it too!very handy if like me you have to travel the m25 for the majority of your 110mile round trip to work and back,like myself!the maps are excellent,speed camera notification can be tailor made to suit your preferences,the bracket is a decent one,it changes from daylight settings to night time settings automatically,it has all of mainland europe on there too,as well as north america,if like myself you are going to the states for a holiday,you may want to consider this model.the best thing i like about the tom tom 910 though is that when you go online and set up your home page,every time you dock to your pc,the unit gets sent the sattelite's projected courses for the next week meaning your start up time,to acually getting a fix on an orbiting sattelite,is extremely quick!the other thing you have to consider is this unit has a 20gb hard drive where you can store plenty of music,or photos too!also ,it's blue tooth connectable to your mobile,or pc too!in all,an excellent bit of kit.pricey,but in my opinion,the best always is!!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Tam, how have you found the Nuvi?  Have been thinking about a 310D for a while but now I've seen the 610T and the 660 I'm not sure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies...I dont want to be spending mega bucks on one, but want one that dos the job well. Also having one that shows speed camera locations is handy. Am i right in thinkin that with all units available there is a yearly subscription?

·
Registered
906 Posts
With the Pocket GPS World you don't have to have a subscription.You can pay ?2 for a months subs then go back to the site when you want an update. As far as i know gamin don't do a subscription but tomtom does but i have been told the Pocket GPS World is cheaper.

Correct me if i am wrong about tomtom

Tam

·
Registered
906 Posts
Tam, how have you found the Nuvi? Have been thinking about a 310D for a while but now I've seen the 610T and the 660 I'm not sure.
Hi Pope1

I have had no problems with my Nuvi at all. I got it when they first came out, just after the british motor show. I used to have a road angel compact but wanted sat nav. I looked at tomtom and road angel nav but prefered teh Garmin as it was thinner than the other twos units.

I thought the 300 or 310 had just british maps but now they have europe maps in the 310D. Not sure what teh difference is between the 300 range and 600 range anymore.

I have just got the traffic adaptar. So would get that with your unit.

If you do get a Garmin make sure its a v9 map and not a v8 map. V9 has just come out as i have seen on some web sites. I will be getting a copy from garmin when they release an update.

Tam

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Just buy a good map mate and don`t waste your money. Sat Navs are just expensive toys that you`ll regret purchasing very quickly.
I agree 100%,they are a luxury without doubt,how did Columbus ever find his way around the world without GPS all those years ago? My sense of direction and knowledge of this country is good enough that I could find my way to anywhere in the UK just by stopping and asking directions,and if I concentrate on my driving as I should do,I will never need to be warned of speed limits and cameras designed to catch me if I exceed that limit.
But now I've got one(a Garmin i3 BTW),I do find it very useful,but as I still need sometimes to use a map to properly plan my journey,and know that should it go wrong,I still have the map should I need it.
What would be a shame is if the next generation of road users grow up relying solely on sat.navs and don't know how to read maps properly,if at all.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Agreed, standard satnavs without TMC are just toys.

Been out in the governors 530d which has the TMC function, very useful for avoiding traffic, it simply re-routes you around it. It is what satnav was made for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great and timely thread as i was looking to buy a sat nav for my new job. Can you get sat navs with built in speed gun detectors, so you are warned of not just fixed and mobile cameras, but of police with radar guns?

That plus TMC would be very handy

·
Registered
703 Posts
With the Pocket GPS World you don't have to have a subscription.You can pay ?2 for a months subs then go back to the site when you want an update. As far as i know gamin don't do a subscription but tomtom does but i have been told the Pocket GPS World is cheaper.

Correct me if i am wrong about tomtom

Tam
Tomtom subscription for cameras is less than ?20 now and with that you get updates throughout the year, I've had 3 so far for mine.

Also benefit of tomtom cameras over Pocket GPS ones is that tomtom also gives the speed for the cameras.

I still have an old copy of Pocket GPS cameras on mine along with tomtom ones, so I get at least 2 warnings per camera [^o)]

I have a tomtom 500 btw and can't fault it so far!

(and yes, my dad still makes me take an atlas on long journeys, "just in case"!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts