Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Basically, does anyone have this CD ? It's ?160, and I wanted to make sure it's worth it before buying !!!

You can get the CD from navshop.com, sound familiar ?

benj

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guys at navshop seem very confident the car will be fine to pick up the TMC no probs

- the question is, has anyone bought it, and found the features on that CD worthwhile ? ?160 is a lot to pay if bells and whistles is all most of the features amount to [|)]

benj

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
erk. what I do know is that it's a 53-reg R32, which has the "2000 onward" sat nav hardware. I would imagine this would be enough, but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it may not be ?

help anyone ...

benj

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by hz2921 on 06/10/2004 23:42:14

you need a seperate TMC box, if youre using the original satnav.

That's what I've heard many many times now!

I just wish I could find out what is required, and how much it will cost for the hardware.

I posted a thread on the NAvi Forum, but got no replies!

I'm sure there must be someone here that know's what's involved and for how much etc..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked, looked through the various nav screens, there isn't anything saying TMC [:(]

So I'm a bit puzzled - is this an extra box ?

And does the bloody thing work - has anyone tried it out ?

That ?160 for a CD is beginning to sound a bit steep if you have to buy and fit extra hardware too .............

benj

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
From what little info I've found, it appears that there is a TMC box that needs plugging into the headunit.

The TMC unit is a radio reciever which picks up and decodes TMC data (from classic FM??) and then tells the SatNAv unit the traffic density.

By having the TMC box, this means you can listen to CD's or Radio One and not be forced to listen to Classic FM (currently the only UK radio station to broadcast TMC info)!!!!

But what I don't know is:

Does the SatNav already have a TMC reciever inside (meaning you are forced to listen to Classic FM)

Or do you REALLY need to get additional hardware?

MAte, are u gonna be the guinea pig and buy that disc [:p]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Just listening to Classic FM will not work. The TMC box also decodes the signal. It is totally seperate to the radio function, it just piggy backs on the Classic FM signal.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have the TMC supported disc but it doesnt work, i need the tmc box, but to be honest, if i see traffic on the motoway, i just go into the nav route options and tell it to avoid motoways.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I don't know if the VW OEM system does have TMC as a default. Most other OEM systems do not have it as a default, it is an extra option. I guess your dealer may have a clue. Most TMC boxes can be had for around the ?100 mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is some major league confusion on this topic - that is NOT good.

I am taking my car in to the dealer saturday to get rid of a few rattles, so I am going to ask them then .... navshop will be getting a call too !

benj

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update :

I spoke to teleatlas today, who really seem to have no idea !

they said "oh, your CD should have DX written on it, should be fine then. and then take the CD out, reboot the system, and it should tell you what it is"

Rubbish.

The CD does say "Blaupunkt Travelpilot DX" ( so that's good, I think ), but the system doesn't identify itself ( no shock there ).

I sometimes despair at the lack of knowledge on show - they are trying to sell a ?160 CD !

doh.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
The oem satnav unit does not have a tmc function, its available as a seperate unit, which recieves the radio signal, and then sends it on to the satnav unit, it cost around ?250 new, or ?100 second hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts