22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my golf with 17in Santa Monicas already on them. However,
Im now beginning to wonder whether they are replicas. Is there anyway
of telling?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I purchased my golf with 17in Santa Monicas already on them. However, Im now beginning to wonder whether they are replicas. Is there anyway of telling?
No idea mate but if you cant tell then it doesn't matter LOL

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Take a look around where the valve is, there should be some lettering. If there is then they are more than likley genuine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah on the replicas the laquer seem to flake off, also on the inner of the alloy i think there should be some vw stamping and the ET  number if there originals???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Always thought it was the other way around with Santas and the OEMs corroded/flaked more than the replicas?

Besides doesn't the flaking have more to do with how the wheels and looked after and how they are cleaned than anything else.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The replica's are a copy of the original, yes, so basically its not
going to be of the same quality, I'm pretty sure that the laquer used
on the santa replicas is not as good as the originals, thats why they
tend to flake unlike the originals. Thats my 2p's worth.

Sonny

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Always thought it was the other way around with Santas and the OEMs corroded/flaked more than the replicas?
Apparently OEM ones cost about ?1600 brand new, without tyres... excluding VAT. [:O][:O]

Surely these dont flake as well!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I saw an Audi A6 1.8T this morning with Santas and Audi centre caps. Were these offered as Audi original accessories, too? Look better on a Golf, I think.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I am pretty sure they werent offered as accessories for audis, but
the've got the same offsets, PCDs havent they so their bound to fit.

True they look well wierd on audis, i saw an old shape A3 with santas the other week, didnt suit it at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Apparently OEM ones cost about ?1600 brand new, without tyres... excluding VAT. [:O][:O]

Surely these dont flake as well!
Well based on what I've seen on these forums and from talking to other people there certainly seems to have been a number of warrnty replacements due to corrosion on the OEM Santas.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Well based on what I've seen on these forums and from talking to other people there certainly seems to have been a number of warrnty replacements due to corrosion on the OEM Santas.
From what I can see, the spokes of the Santas are polished metal with lacquer straight on top, and I understand this to be the same reason that Anniversary BBS wheels corrode. Most alloys are painted, and then lacquered (including most other BBS wheels, which do not have a general reputation for corrosion). I'm guessing that lacquer sticks to paint much better than to bare metal.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think you'll find they are the same mike, otherwise how would they fit on the a6??
AFAIK the only Audis that share the Golf's 5x100 PCD are the A2, old shape A3 and the TT. All other models have a 5x112 PCD.

Hence that A6 you saw must have had replicas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts