Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
I'd say the easier answer is take note of the round signs at the side of the road with a number in them,and then drive at slightly less than that speed.It can save ????????????s off you next insurance renewal.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really thinking of buying some as i'm a pretty slow driver anyway but might be handy if you got somewhere unfamliar. mistakes can happen and its easy to mist those rounds signs with the numbers in if you've never been to the place before

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'd say the easier answer is take note of the round signs at the side of the road with a number in them,and then drive at slightly less than that speed.It can save ????????????s off you next insurance renewal.
Thanks for stating the obvious !! But as most of us do slightly creep over the limit,from time to time, we should all be vigilant against any form of stealth taxes, such as speed (sorry 'safety') cameras.

Anything that combats this governments unhealthy slide towards penalising anyone who dares set foot inside a car, is a good thing IMO.

However, sorry, dont know if these plates actually work !!![;)]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is it Legal? - Nope.

If the police catch you with a treated numberplate - I've seen several ways of treating them on various websites - I'd guess you're facing instant prosecution. I'd imagine for something similar to not displaying a number plate. Most independent websites tell you that you can use it but don't get caught!

Does it Work? - Nope.

Well, put it like this, it may work some of the time. But your coated number plate has about 1/100 of a second (Imagewerx will know more about photography!) to ensure the image is so over exposed that the police can't do anything with it. The Police have unlimited time to play with the negative to determine what your number is. I'd imagine they'd try doubly hard on someone who is obviously trying to evade the camera. When they do get enough to track you down... speeding points and see point 1 above.

Best strategy is not to get yourself on film in the first place.

Personally I'm waiting for radar reflective paint and a stealth fighter bodykit to become available! [:D]

Good Luck Boys!

Adrian.

·
Registered
832 Posts
?25 a can?!! [:O]

Surely if the web site does say it is legal and you get caught the company would be in a whole heap of trouble, and not yourself?

I can't say if it works or not, but I was behind a car the other day in really sunny weather and it was very obvious there was something applied to his number plate. I just hope, for his sake, that there aren't ever any coppers behind him!

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
It looks like they'll be feeling your collar no matter what you do.Stick to the speed limits as defined by the law (all you gotta do is concentrate on your driving,and this won't be a problem),and make sure your number plates are legal,i.e.readable from all angles in all different lights and aren't excessively dirty,if you do this,they can't touch you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was watching Road Wars on Sky 1 and they were in a copper car behind someone with this stuff on their plate, on their in car cameras the plate shows as blank, but it's fine on the TV camera - it was enough for them to pull the people over and check it out - it had the stuff on it and the bloke was done.

I wouldn't risk it personally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Come on. Of course it's not legal! Would it be legal to cover your number paint in black paint so it couldn't be read by a speed camera? no

I don't know if it works or not, but how many people have ever been caught by a fixed speed camera? I know I rarely stick to the speed limit on non-urban roads, and I've never been caught by a fixed speed camera (although some trickster with a hairdryer hiding behind a road sign did catch me out once [:$]). Surely some basic observational skills would serve you better than risking prosecution? LOOK - A BIG ORANGE BOX AND SOME FUNNY LINES ON THE ROAD.... err, maybe I should slow down. How hard is it to miss?!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Depending on what sort of mood the copper is in, you'll either get,

A ticking off. (ie, "Get it fixed, mate.")
7 day "presenter" for a defective number plate.
Ticket for defective number plate. Fixed penalty IIRC.
Summons for perverting the course of justice.

Or you could slow down a touch. Tough choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts