Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow i have just looked at autotrader and came across some nice examples,most with quite mileage though!?! I didnt know they came with those half leather/alcantara seats!! thought i'd do an insurance quote and its only a little more then the golf.[:D]

Its funny how i can get insured on these type of cars but no one will touch me when i try a CTR[:p]

What are ppls views on the S3?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Same here mate..... an S3 costs the same to insure as the Golf, bizarrely!

Im seeing ones privately for ?13-13.5k-ish on an X or W with around 45k on them... but FULLY specced up!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Get one NOW!

Superbly made, handle nicely, one of the best OEM stereos of any car (a lot better than the R32), loads of cred, plenty of poke and not bad on fuel.

Buying new, the R32 was a better proposition but as a used buy, I reckon the S3 pips it.

Can't understand why it's so much easier to insure than an R32 or CTR - It's quicker than a CTR and only fractionally slower than an R32 - WTF?!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
[My 2pence worth] Not as easy to steal as the CTR though! Japanese Sport Cars attract that boy racer (2Fast2Furious) factor. [My 2pence worth]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yer they are well spec'd up. The interior and dash seems to be similar to a golf? do the S3 have differnet engine codes as per the golf? agu,arz etc? i know theres 210bhp or 225bhp model and i can imgaine being remapped they would be very quick[8D]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quite similar to the Golf yeah... but it feels like the fit and quality of materials are a step up again from the Golf! [:D]

Yeah, different engine codes..... i think the 225 is BAM... dunno about the 210 though.

Remapped, combined with the Quattro i think they would be unbelievable to be honest.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i take it that they all have the kkk k04 turbo and not different turbos and as such more variety of engines?

might pop down to audi at weekend and see what they're saying and also to bmw about a cooper s[:I] funnily enough there are no Seat garages near me for the Cupra R[}:)]

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Don't be put off buying a 210bhp as it maps to same power as a mapped 225bhp. If i remember rightly my engine code is APY

·
Registered
176 Posts
I went to Measham car auction today to buy one that had done 17k miles on a 51 plate 2001, not a BAM though. It went for ?15,400 which sounds cheap but you've got the buyers premium on top plus it had no options and needed tyres all round, totally shagged alloys and generally needed some TLC. Still tempting but I'd rather have a nicer looked after one with a few more miles than a tired low miler that someone has not bothered with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice cars and lots of toys available. As mentioned a remap will provide pretty much same spec between 210 and 225, residules are good hence the prices. Don't forget you can get a brand new LCR225 for just under 17k from brokers or pre reged from dealers. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
As nice as the LCR is, it is still a Spanish made car and doesn't quite have the same build quality as the Audi [Have I opened a can of worms].

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do like the look of the Cupra R and generally Seat do produce more sporty looking/feeling cars then vw/audi. In some reviews i've been reading over for the past couple of days from old magazines they choose the cupra R as it is alot less and in some cases drove better then S3. But these were based on the cars being brand new and obviously brand new prices. If i did get an S3 then i'd have max ?14.5k to spend which i'm pretty confident will get me a very good cupra R or say a 40k odd mileage S3.

The only problem i'm finding is the garages near me don't have the cars available[:(] But i'm also hoping to test drive cooper s as it offers great fun out of the box

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by phil08 on 02/10/2004 10:05:10

I do like the look of the Cupra R and generally Seat do produce more sporty looking/feeling cars then vw/audi. In some reviews i've been reading over for the past couple of days from old magazines they choose the cupra R as it is alot less and in some cases drove better then S3. But these were based on the cars being brand new and obviously brand new prices. If i did get an S3 then i'd have max ?14.5k to spend which i'm pretty confident will get me a very good cupra R or say a 40k odd mileage S3.

The only problem i'm finding is the garages near me don't have the cars available[:(] But i'm also hoping to test drive cooper s as it offers great fun out of the box

You're absolutely spot on. In terms of sporty looks, the CupraR is probably out there on its own in its price range.... it looks gorgeous. But your right about the build quality... you can see where they have cut corners alright.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Quote: posted by micky on 02/10/2004 12:15:55

Had my S3 for about a month now and I can't fault it. The build quality is better than the Golf.

I definitely agree with that statement Micky after 2 weeks of ownership, but I not knocking the golf because it I still found that a terrific car[^]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts