Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used an S3 intercooler on the 1.8T and would it give any benefit,

does the 1.8T have an intercooler as standard?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Didn't think there was anywhere to put a side mount in a golf!?! Someone please correct me if i'm wrong!....

Better buying a FMIC and i've heard it always helps but it's only really worth the money if you're at stage 2 or higher!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Golf has got a side mount... but only one.... the S3 has two... both side mounted... you can go down the S3/TT intercooler if you wanted... they will fit but you will get better results and spend less cash (unless you get a real cheap SMIC kit of course) with a single Front mount as the S3/TT has a different intlet manifold and plumbimg...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Golf has got a side mount... but only one.... the S3 has two... both side mounted... you can go down the S3/TT intercooler if you wanted... they will fit but you will get better results and spend less cash (unless you get a real cheap SMIC kit of course) with a single Front mount as the S3/TT has a different intlet manifold and plumbimg...
I stand corrected...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info, think i will skip it then,

Didn't think there was anywhere to put a side mount in a golf!?! Someone please correct me if i'm wrong!....

Better buying a FMIC and i've heard it always helps but it's only really worth the money if you're at stage 2 or higher!
I thought the 1.8T was prone to heat soak, and the FMIC would give you
something in the region of 10BHP on a remap or am i way over egging it?

·
Registered
690 Posts
The TT arch vent mod consists in buying a TT wheel arch which has vents moulded in.

You can "copy and paste" the vents to your own wheel arch, that way the hot air around the SMIC can exit and thus improve the flow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do both these mods, and the ducting mod make a noticable diffrance?

How much are the valance and inner arch?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
it is, but is < 10bhp worth the ?900+. To some...probably! But I personally would only get a FMIC in prep for a stage 2 or big turbo.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Do both these mods, and the ducting mod make a noticable diffrance?

How much are the valance and inner arch?
?50-ish for the pair, the valance will give you almost double the intake area and the TT vent will get rid of the hot air better. For ?50 there isn't a better way of doing it and as has been said already the sheer expense of an FMIC is only worth it if you're going to change the turbo and make other engine mods.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The TT mod on it's own is quite cheap and easy to do. Think I paid about ?15 for the wheel arch liners.

As far as I can tell from my research, one of the best side mount intercoolers for the Mk IV is the Tyrolsport one from the US. It supposed to perform really well and offers a viable alternative to a FMIC if you don't want to go that route. If enough people are interested, I'll investigate the possibility of a group buy. I've already spoken to Tyrolsport but haven't sussed out all the issues regarding shipping costs and VAT.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is, but is < 10bhp worth the ?900+. To some...probably! But I personally would only get a FMIC in prep for a stage 2 or big turbo.
I see your point, thats quite alot of money for not alot of bang. I am along way from stage 2 so I might try the arch mods.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I remember reading a write up/test on the TT/S3 setup compared with a
FMIC and remember that in terms of pressure drop there wasnt much in it
but the FMIC produced better results.

With the pipework you have to do, you might as well go the FMIC route and get the better results and the better looks of a FMIC.

Also, I and Jon (GolfTTish) had good results bringing inlet temps down
using a heat transfer resistant inlet manifold gasket...I used the New
South one and I think Jon tried it as well but then changed to another
one because the gasket would malform badly when over torqued...

I think it was called a 'power gasket' or something similar...

Jon logged some interesting figures when testing it, ask him, he might still have the logs lying around...

FYI, I didnt see any gains/improvement from the wheel arch liner mod.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Here's my 2p regarding the wheel arch liner mod. This is based on doing relatively short trips with ambient temperatures of 28C - 30C when I lived overseas.

I don't think you'll gain anything significant from the vents when the car is moving. Perhaps you might if you were caning the car all the time but you can only do that on a circuit. Where I think those vents make a difference is to the heat build-up under the wing after you've been using the car and park for a while. I found that my front wing would be roasting after about 10 minutes and I would feel the performance drop if I had to use the car again after 15 minutes. With the vents, the recovery time is quicker, so much so that I fitted a second vent and I now have one above the other.

This is the first summer that I've had my Golf in the UK so I'm interested to see how it performs over here with the combination of longer trips and warm weather. If heat soak turns out to be an issue, I will definitely be going with an uprated SMIC rather than a FMIC.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm cant see why people buy the TT liner when a sharp knife and a hot air gun do a better job? the vent in my arch is huge! and cost... well nothing....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Here's my 2p regarding the wheel arch liner
mod. This is based on doing relatively short trips with
ambient temperatures of 28C - 30C when I lived overseas.

I don't think you'll gain anything significant from the vents when
the car is moving. Perhaps you might if you were caning the car all the
time but you can only do that on a circuit. Where I think those
vents make a difference is to the heat build-up under the wing after
you've been using the car and park for a while. I found that my
front wing would be roasting after about 10 minutes and I would feel
the performance drop if I had to use the car again after 15
minutes. With the vents, the recovery time is quicker, so much so
that I fitted a second vent and I now have one above the other.

This is the first summer that I've had my Golf in the UK so I'm
interested to see how it performs over here with the combination of
longer trips and warm weather. If heat soak turns out to be an issue, I
will definitely be going with an uprated SMIC rather than a FMIC.
Pope, dont bother with an uprated sidemount! Absolute waste of money,
it did jack for me and I closely monitored and logged the results, no
difference whatsoever.

Save your hard earned cash and go for a Front Mount. As said many
times before, a FMIC DOES make a huge difference, the most noticeable
of which is in recovery times and the length of time you can drive hard
before heat soak sets in...

The problem with the sidemounts is obviously the location for airflow
over and around the core and also the surface area - there just isnt
enough of it to make a difference (even like my Forge uprated Side
mount with a much higher density core surface area).

Please dont convince yourself that an uprated side mount will be good
value for money because it isnt! I know your probably thinking about
the work involved but FMIC kits arent hard to fit, just set aside
half a day and be prepared to do some cutting of the bumper and take
your time...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hmmm cant see why people buy the TT liner when a sharp knife and a hot air gun do a better job? the vent in my arch is huge! and cost... well nothing....
Geeba - Did you cut a whole in the liner for the vent section, then fix it in place or just drill lots of holes in the arch liner ? IF so how big are the holes and roughly how many (don't expect you to count em [:D]) ?

Also, is it easy to take the golf arch liner out ? Any guides anywhere or is it just a take the wheel off then undo some screws type job ?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Stewart, it all depends. You went for Forge SMIC which incidentally I did too. Testing done in the US has shown the Forge unit to be a waste of money. In spite of that, with my Forge I did notice an improvement in recovery time under the conditions I mentioned above AND my fuel consumption improved after fitting the Forge. Don't know why the fuel consumption improved, but it did. I didn't log temperatures or recovery times so I can't comment specifically on those.

Every engineering solution involves a compromise. The Tyrolsport SMIC appears to be a better compromise for me IF I feel the need to upgrade further which I must admit I am far from convinced about at this point. Maybe I never pushed my car hard enough for long enough but even with the ambient temperatures I mentioned, I haven't experienced serious heat soak issues apart from the heat build-up under the wing problem.

I don't think that the Tyrolsport will perform as well as the best FMIC but testing has shown that it comes close to FMIC levels and is much better than the Forge. In addition it doesn't result in any loss of boost, doesn't involve cutting the bumper or the crash bar and doesn't block air flow to the radiator and increase the coolant tempearture. The downside is that no one sells it in the UK at the moment and so there is a question over what it's final price would be if it was imported but I'm looking into those issues. As I said, it won't be for everyone but for me it's certainly worth investigating. In part, it depends on what kind of driving you do and how many ponies your car is producing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts