Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time.. to split the splits...

and to be fully refurbished ready for a whole new look for 2011!!

a few little pics.. and a hole load to follow shortly..

1 down and many more to do.. 40 per rim!!! arrghhh...

Posted Image

20 mins later.. 2 **** and a coffee..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so i'm planning splitting a rim a night... lol.. lazy git i know!

there's no rush for me to get these done, so will be getting them 100% perfect.. ready for the summer months..

so watch this space for a whole new look of porka splits..[snack]

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AJPTDI- true... and what I want, well end up with in the next few weeks/months, I havent seen done to a set of Porsche split rims before... not going to give the game any, but I think and others may be pretty pleased with the results!!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Its that time.. to split the splits...

and to be fully refurbished ready for a whole new look for 2011!!

a few little pics.. and a hole load to follow shortly..

1 down and many more to do.. 40 per rim!!! arrghhh...

20 mins later.. 2 **** and a coffee..

so i'm planning splitting a rim a night... lol.. lazy git i know!

there's no rush for me to get these done, so will be getting them 100% perfect.. ready for the summer months..

so watch this space for a whole new look of porka splits..
You have a PM [Y]

Lucky i only had about 60 to take out but still a pain in the rear lol

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i feel your pain bro...

i split mine a few weeks back... i only had 76 to do!!!...

what a great few hours of my life that was[:(]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
AJPTDI- true... and what I want, well end up with in the next few weeks/months, I havent seen done to a set of Porsche split rims before... not going to give the game any, but I think and others may be pretty pleased with the results!!
Yeah definately keep it under wraps pal, it's hard to be a pioneer of anything these days so if you think you've got something new, make sure you're the first. Slap the scene round the chops!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this will make ya laugh.. whilst i was in a trance of unbolting one by one last night.. i thought the following..

40 bolts per rim = 160

160 take out then 160 back in = 320

it take around 10 turns of the socket to free a bolt so that would work out to be around =

3200 twists of the wrist!!!! arrghh...

(so no self pleasure for me after all that) [lol-lol] [lol-lol]

but once they are all done, i'll be deff be getting a boner over them!!!! [lol-lol]

anyway... where was I..

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 down 2 to go, before I start cleaning, polishing and ????? then.. lol..

so you have to wait a bit long.. well a few weeks longer.. lol... like i say i'm in no rush at the mo..

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All rims are now split into there seperate peice, ready to be cleaned, polished etc etc.. but i was'nt sure on the torque settings when rebuilding them, to do a proper job!! lol.. came across the below from Edition38, which can be useful for others...

Split Rim torque Settings,

tools required.

BBS Split rims BBS RM's 2 piece Split Rims Size :- 15" and 16" Stud Torque setting:- 14/18 Ft/Lds

BBS RS's 3 Piece Split Rims Size :- 14" Stud Torque setting :- 15/18 ft/lds

BBS RS's 3 Piece Split Rims Size :- 15" and 16" Stud Torque setting 22/24 ft/lds

BBS RS's 3 Piece Split Rims Size :- 17" and 18" Stud Torque Setting 24/26 ft/Lds

BBS LM 2 Piece Split Rims Size :- 17", 18" and 19" Stud Torque setting :- 24/26 ft/Lds

BBS LM-R 2 piece Split Rims Size :- 19" and 20" Stud Torque Setting:- 24/26 Ft/Lds

BBS RS 11 2 Piece Split Rims Size :- 17" and 18" Stud Torque Setting :- 22/24 Ft/Lds

BBS RX 11 2 Piece Split Rims Size :- 15",16" ,17" , 18" ,19" and 21" Stud Torque Settings :- 22/24 Ft/Lds

BBS RK's 2 Piece Split Rims Size :- 18" Stud Torque Settings:- 22/24 Ft/Lds

BBS RS-GT 2 Piece Split Rims Size :- 18" , 19" and 20" Stud Torque Settings :- 22/24 Ft/Lds

BBS E30,E50,E26,E87,E28,E88,E68 2 and 3 Piece Split Rims Size :-13" , 14" , 15" , 16" , 17" , 18" , 19" , 20" and 21" Stud Torque Settings :- 22/24 Ft/Lds

BBS RC's 2 Piece Split rims*** Size :- 17" and 18" Stud Torque Settings :- 22/24 Ft/Lds *** :- These wheels have a spline mount in the main basket section and on the studs, once the rear nut has been loosened they need to be hammered or pressed out. All above wheels will use a 8mm 12 point multi point socket and a 10mm 12 point multi point socket on the rear nut. or a 8mm Spline socket.

These items are avaliable from halfords, We use Snap-on tools when spliting so that you don't get cam out, ie the socket slipping off the stud or nut. OZ Split Rims All OZ Split Rims come from the factory with OZ's own specially made studs. The studs look like the usual studs but they are slightly different, therefore a special socket for the stud head and the rear nut are required, also OZ wheels with Spline studs require a special spline drive socket. Stud head :- 8mm 10 Point Socket Stud Nut :- 10mm 10 Point socket Spline Stud :- 8mm 10 Point Spline All OZ Split rims used 12.9 High tensils studs, way over the strength that was required but thats what they used.

There for if using the original studs on your re-build all OZ wheels have a Stud Torque Setting of :- 22/24 Ft/Lds If using after market studs a Stud Torque Setting of :- 22/24 Ft/Lds is more than adiquite We advise that when spliting OZ split rims, if the studs are not re-usable replace them with after market studs that are used on BBS Split rims.

Rial Split Rims Rial Daytona Race 2 piece split rims Size :- 18" , 19" , 20" and 22" Stud Torque Settings :- 22/24 Ft/Lds Compomotive size :- 15"

3 Piece split Rims 26/28 Ft/Lds this is due to the fewer studs holding the wheel together. Please use new studs and nuts when rebuilding, 10.9 high tensile studs and nuts, this is due to the high torque setting required Note:- When replacing studs on Split Rims, the studs should be marked with 10.9, this shows that they are high tensil are are top quality.

Thread lock should be used on all stud threads when re-building. We have listed the main wheel makes that are most commonly asked for, if the wheels that you have, are not listed please post a reply and we will add to the above list.

gave me some knowledge and hope it does you lot as well...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
right, here is a little update so far,

carbon wrapped the centers in the bad boys 3m stuff!! MMm, I so love the feel of 3m! lol.. anyway couple of pics taken from the camera phone i know, but you get to see what ive been up to...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

test fit with dirty dishes.. lol but not for much longer.. your be eating ya dinners of my polished dishes soon... lol...

Posted Image

Posted Image

anyway more to come..

Just waiting for the gold bolts to turn up and mirror polished the dishes and then the long slog of rebuilding them ready for summer!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks sweet dude! Going to look great in your car
Cheers matie.. I Hope so to,

but they wont be going in the car but on the car in early spring/summer!![whistle]

1 - 20 of 173 Posts