Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right.. whilst tinkering with the car (read: removing scratches caused by me [:I]).. I had a bit or rag left over so thought i'd wipe away the dirt of the millteks tailpipes.. and what do I find, but some marks that look suspiciously like rust [:O][:(]

Now it was sort of getting dark.. but was light enough to see the colour of the marks.. so took some pics, but i'll take some better ones at lunchtime tomorrow, hopefully it'll show up better then.

Now, I thought millteks were stainless and that doesn't rust, right ? I'm wondering as it's right next to the milltek sport etching (on the top of the right tailpipe) maybe when that lettering was applied to the surface, if it's somehow gone through to the metal below ? But surely it's stainless right through ?

They are only just over four months old too [:(!] Milltek will be getting a phone call from me tomorrow !

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Here's the best pic I could get at the time.. the 'rust' is in red.

Posted Image

HMPH !

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my Milltek to.

Just around the top of the tips are areas of surface rust that had bubbled the metal, also leaving a nice brown colour. I tried using some Peek metal polish to remove the rust, whilst it removed some of it, it's still noticable.

I presume that as Milltek offer a life time warranty that they would be no problems in getting the back box replaced.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These is the best of pics I know, but I think you can still see the discolouration around the top tips.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the replies and thoughts/ideas guys. I'll give milltek a ring in the morning and ask what the warranty is on these.

I guess they'll say they need to see it first, so I guess that means a trip to derbyshire ! [xx(] .. but, I am getting a full turbo back soon.. so I could ask awesome to tell milltek to keep a d/pipe n cat assembly back for me and i'll get em both done whilst i'm there.... cunning plan in the making there, I think ! [;)] We'll see I guess!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My first one was fine, but yesterday I noticed exactly the same thing on my replacement one after just 3 weeks. Mind you the climate out here is such that I've even seen rust on stainless steel cutlery in the past. I'm going to attack mine with some metal polish.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a feeling mine is doing the same...dismissed it as stick on muck when washing the car yesterday but will look closer in a while and see...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Stainless steel can rust! It all depends on the grade of stainless and the content of nickel I think.

However, Miltek say "Milltek Sport exhausts are produced in high quality type 304 aircraft grade stainless steel. This material is anti-magnetic (other manufacturers stainless steel may not be) and is less susceptible to discolouration. This quality of stainless steel is used on all pipework and the total construction of the silencer." So perhaps their stainless should rust as such.

I can personally vouch for their pukka customer service, Phil recently replaced my rear silencer no questions asked under warranty.

Give 'em a ring and I'm sure they'll help ya out

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Thats what you get for buying cheap tat [:D]

I had a similar thing on the Janspeed fitted to my old chavalier GSI, soonn got rid of it with some autosol mind ya, & a bit of turtle wax, ohh the days of my youth[:)]

I shall be having a milltek "discreet" fitted soon, so I wont be having the rusting bling showing..lol [:D]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 17/01/2005 10:16:36

Thats what you get for buying cheap tat [:D]

I had a similar thing on the Janspeed fitted to my old chavalier GSI, soonn got rid of it with some autosol mind ya, & a bit of turtle wax, ohh the days of my youth[:)]

I shall be having a milltek "discreet" fitted soon, so I wont be having the rusting bling showing..lol [:D]

oh.. that has made my day.. you drove a cavalier. pmsl [:D]

oh a discreet.. so, the "rusting bling" will be hidden ? [;)]

I might try the autosol, (that you recommended) and the peek that rfsteel recommended.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 17/01/2005 10:34:25

I might try the autosol, (that you recommended) and the peek that rfsteel recommended.

Using peek removed the worse of the surface bubbled rust, though it's didn't completly remove all of the rust.

The car is parked up and garaged for the next month, so it will be intresting to see if the rust continues to spreed.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Did anyone get an answer from Milltek on this? Mine is definately rusting after 2 months on the car... looks cack!

Scott

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
isnt this just the goldy colored stuff that comes out with the exhaust gases? happens on all exhausts... stainless cant rust

we use autosol to get rid of this...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by awesomeade on 24/01/2005 10:55:26

isnt this just the goldy colored stuff that comes out with the exhaust gases? happens on all exhausts... stainless cant rust

Tried that, along with autoglym metal polish and whilst it removed the bubbled areas of rust, the underlying rust still exists on my pipes.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
over the weekend while washing my car i noticed a few rust like spots on my exhaust tip, also a lot of really stubborn soot spots that would not come off. Car hadnt been cleaned for appx 4 weeks. So i used CIF cream thats used for kitchens/bathrooms etc and it shifted it all with very very little effort. Id say its defo worth a try with a little cif cream.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After parking my car at work last week, I inspected the tailpipe in daylight (well overcast but hey!) and I attacked the "rust" with the end of my fingernail. I REALLY scratched it VERY hard with the end of my nail and some of it did shift.. but the other bits remained. Jace has sent me some metal polish to try on it to see if it shifts that. I'll be keeping a close eye on it in the future weeks n months though.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
In my case I've noticed a tiny ding in the spot where the rust appeared. I reckon that's probably my fault or the fitters. Tylerama also mentioned scratches on his. Given that my first back box didn't rust at all in the six months that I was using it (in humid conditions), I'm wondering if it's possible that some other people may have small nicks, scratches or dings in theirs? Just a thought. BTW, my rust came off with some metal polish and I'm waiting to see whether it's going to come back.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote: posted by awesomeade on 24/01/2005 10:55:26

Nope Ade, it's defiantely rust... are the tailpipes stainless or chromed?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts