Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a promotion in my work where I will be managing a lot of real time information at once.

I wanna try to impress management with all my new ideas that I've got to help develop the role (read get brownie points [;)])

One thought I had was linking 2 screens to my computer so I can spread all of my open applications over 2 screens.

I'm not that 'techy' when it comes to computers, so I don't know where to start:

Is this sort of thing built into windows already?

Will I have to get new software/hardware? If so what's the best to buy?

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated [:)]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom - is that something that your work supplied, or do you know the best place to buy that from?

Edited just read your repost - suppose i could run up to 3...?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
work supplied, its due to the nature of the business, transferring information from scanned images into the computer software, I usually have 4 seperate programs running that i have to flick through and this makes life easy as it splits the desktop over two screens ( wallpaper's fun though, i end up running an image on each screen)

Not sure if the graphics card is special as it has a single monitor connection that is split to the two monitors by a y shaped cable ie single card output becomes twin outlet.

Shiuming or w36ejo might be able to help better as iirc they are it people

·
Registered
263 Posts
The NVidia cards quite often use a DVI Output, which can then be split into two standard VGA outputs - the software for the card than handles everything esle - I assume this is what you are using.   I have had quite a few using this set-up from Dell for schools where they have a monitor and a projector connected at the same time.   The 'Y' shaped cable will have a DVI connector on one end and two standard 15-pin monitor connectors on the other - you can't just split a normal monitor output.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You will need a dual output VGA graphics card. These can be picked up very cheap on ebay if you don't need games.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-MATROX-DUAL-GRAPHICS-CARD_W0QQitemZ8747298008QQcategoryZ96874QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or like GTI has stated above, there are units that do it for you.

Then you will need 2 monitors, go into display in control panel and call 1 monitor number 1 and the other number 2. Number 1 will deal with everything, you can then just drag stuff over to the other when you wish, or you could just use it as one massive widescreen monitor [:D]

You could also go for an all singing all dancing card with DVI port, then split the DVI port with an adapter to take it to 2 x VGA. I just dont like splitters.

Then there are things like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-NVIDIA-QUADRO4-200NVS-64MB-DDR-SDRAM-DUAL-319627-001_W0QQitemZ8746913391QQcategoryZ67863QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Depends how much you want to spend really!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your advice everyone!

It would be the company spending the money, so probably the lesser the better. I'm guessing a new graphics card would be needed in any circumstance, EJO?

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
work supplied, its due to the nature of the business, transferring information from scanned images into the computer software, I usually have 4 seperate programs running that i have to flick through and this makes life easy as it splits the desktop over two screens ( wallpaper's fun though, i end up running an image on each screen)

Not sure if the graphics card is special as it has a single monitor connection that is split to the two monitors by a y shaped cable ie single card output becomes twin outlet.

Shiuming or w36ejo might be able to help better as iirc they are it people
Christ Tom.. our jobs sound very similar ! I do that a lot too.. lots of iamges and verification etc so having two screens hepls out so much !

How do you do the two image wallpaper ? I haven't mastered that yet ! It's either the same image on both screens [:mad:] or one huge image stretched across two screens..

Here is my desk, twin screen setup - two 19" Lenovo (formerly ibm) tft's running off a matrox millenium G550 dual head monitor card.

That white box on the right is just a little html code which has the links to all of my network drives, a few of my colleagues and it also has a one click link to here too.. not very conducive to getting work done.... [:S] [;)]

Posted Image

Vedhead posted up a picture recently of his six screen work setup.. looked cool [:)]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Dan, I've always thought our jobs were along similar lines, my setup looks very similar bar the personal touches as I work shifts I don't have anything bar my wallpaper to personalise the space. Last week or so I've had a couple of pics of Kev's Golf to remind me why I'm there (normal people think i'mweird wanting cars and always wonder what I'm doing in an aeropalne world when my passion is cars!)

It's under my nvidia properties/settings where I have configured the desktop to be spread across both monitors but wall paper is split with one image per monitor.or I can do the usual stretch to fit which always gives interesting results (think beetle becomes TT !)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
You don't neccesarily need a new graphics card if you went down the box splitter route, though I reckon it would cost more to go down that route than it would to go for the new or second hand dual head card.

You just need a 2560 x 1024 (dependant on screen res) image and then use the stretch to fit option, or it depends on what hardware you are using as to the software you will get with it, as some software that comes with the dual head cards will do this for you, either by splitting the image in two, having two images or using one big image. If you stretch a normal desktop image though, say 1024x768 it will all go wide, and it will literally stretch it.....nice if you have a girl with long legs as your desktop image, her legs get longer and more slender [:p]

The one and only problem with these kind of set ups is its a long mouse travel to the other end of the other screen!

EDIT: Some nice wallpapers here: http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/mpages/dualscreen1.shtmlhttp://www.csbmb.princeton.edu/~smcclure/dualmonitor.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool... I now know what my wallpaper will be... [:p]

Any idea of how much the cheapest way round it would be?

·
Registered
263 Posts
.....nice if you have a girl with long legs as your desktop image, her legs get longer and more slender [:p]
...if she is laying down. If she is standing up, surely she will become shorter and fatter (in fact twice as wide!)[:p][;)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
.....nice if you have a girl with long legs as your desktop image, her legs get longer and more slender [:p]
...if she is laying down. If she is standing up, surely she will become shorter and fatter (in fact twice as wide!)[:p][;)]
Correct, people wouuld be wondering why you had Jo Brand as your wallpaper [:)]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Dan, I've always thought our jobs were along similar lines, my setup looks very similar bar the personal touches as I work shifts I don't have anything bar my wallpaper to personalise the space. Last week or so I've had a couple of pics of Kev's Golf to remind me why I'm there (normal people think i'mweird wanting cars and always wonder what I'm doing in an aeropalne world when my passion is cars!)

It's under my nvidia properties/settings where I have configured the desktop to be spread across both monitors but wall paper is split with one image per monitor.or I can do the usual stretch to fit which always gives interesting results (think beetle becomes TT !)
That's the problem. If I have the desktop across both, the wallpaper is too ! [:|]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts