Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Decided to figure out how much my 4mo had cost me recently as it just seems too keep getting a lot of small problems.

Ended up working out how much the car had cost me per mile since I bought it two years ago.

The result is Year one 41p, Year two 45p and overall 43p. I do about 15,000 miles a year. Without Depriciation its about 26p (of which fuel is 16p)

This includes depreciation, servicing costs, fuel, parts / labour when things have broken, MOT, Tax, tyres and insurance, couldn't be bothered with cleaning products as I don't spend to much on these. Anyone think of something I've missed ( apart from air fresheners [:D])

This means it costs me on average ?7.50 to drive the 17 miles to work. [:O]. Anyone else done this on another model diesel, R32? How about another make BMW etc?

I have a spreadsheet if anyone wants to work theres out, just PM me for it.

Brian

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You seem to have missed loan costs, or don't you have them you lucky sod?!?!! Mine including the loan cost's ave 47p per mile. But then I do 18k per year.

I have a 115 GT TDi

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ok.....

This isn't bang up to date as I haven't updated my maintenance spreadsheet to include the last service (naughty me)

? 3,377.04 servicing and modding costs.

? 5,529.29 on diesel !!!!!

60,220 miles

14.79p per mile [:D]

It does pay to get your spanners out afterall.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
If I worked it out I would probably cry... [:S]
I have grown to accept that my hobby is also my mode of transport, so its just going to cost me more...some mates ski, surf, etc...and spend their money on that. I spend it on my car, and the bonus is I get to enjoy it all the time....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
No finance or loans, it's all mine [:D].

How much is it without loans, if you don't mind me asking?
It's ok. its 27p per mile. But then everyone has to pay for the car in the first place and that's the big chunk here!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Mine is flawed as it doesn't contain any depreciation.

Any ideas what I'd need to factor in for that ?

The car is worth very little for it's age as it's done pushing 140k

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
There is a website or 2 kicking about that will tell you the value of your car. You can work out you depreciation from that. Maybe if you did it with slightly different figures for each year....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ct.p Hi I used Purchase price - value now / miles covered. I didn't include the cost of mods as I don't think of them as running costs. Just how much it would cost to run the car excluding the 'hobby' factor if you see what I mean.

Did you also include insurance / tax etc?

Sean, so thats about 22p then. Thats pretty cheap! Nice once damn that 27mpg. [:D]

Anyone beat that?

Brian

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
If I factor in insurance, tax, MOT, consumables, annual service, and non existent depreciation, my japopy, over the space of a year, works out at about 19/20p a mile.  

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! Was that on the V5 then?

My 43p is starting to look quite expensive, any other V6 owners got a comparison figure?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I worked it out I would probably cry... [:S]

I have grown to accept that my hobby is also my mode of transport, so its just going to cost me more...some mates ski, surf, etc...and spend their money on that. I spend it on my car, and the bonus is I get to enjoy it all the time....
I Ski as well and have two kids to pay for too :-( , oh and a baby on the way. Perhaps the V6 will have to go... bu t as depreciation seems to account for so much of my cost per mile perhaps I am over the worst of it and the cost may start to go down now?

Should I expect depreciation to 'slow down'? I thin kthe problem was buying for a dealer where you pay over the odd's.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Nice! Was that on the V5 then?

My 43p is starting to look quite expensive, any other V6 owners got a comparison figure?
Yeah it's not as bad as it looks because I don't think everyone is including maintenance costs, fuel, road tax, insurance, depreciation and the cost of buying it in the first place! If I include all of that, I'm paying around 47p per mile!

Mine is likely to be this high due to my age, IE my insurance is ?640 per year and that last year I did 18k miles. I'm just thankfull I have a diesel and I averaged 51 mpg last year!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm 36 paying ?613 including all declared mods as I have a poor accident history (3 in last 4 years) and only 2 years NCB.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ok.....

Now revised...

? 3,377.04 servicing and modding costs.

? 5,529.29 on diesel !!!!!

? 820 insurance (2 years)

? 90 mot's (x2)

? 230 road tax (2 years)

? 3000 depreciation (estimated in 2 years)

? 13,046 SUB TOTAL

60,220 miles

21.66 p per mile [:D]

It STILL does pay to get your spanners out afterall.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
That doesn't include the cost to pay for it. Or were you lucky enough to have the cash floating about and not have to pay monthly for it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts