Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Getting a GTi in the next couple of weeks. Do new cars still need "running in"? If so, what is the best way to prolong engine components and get the most most from the car?

Stay below 3k rpm's for the first 1,000 miles????

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
yeah they still need running in!

if it was my car and was brand new i'd drive it very slowly, avoidnig motorways keeping revs and speed no higher than 40!

i like to treat my cars nicely so thats y i would be very ott with a new car! think its about 1500miles for running in

·
Registered
178 Posts
i too am getting my new gti in the next couple of weeks and will be running it in as i did my r32. which means keeping it fairly restrained most of the time e.g below 4000rpm, but with infrequent runs up to the red line for short periods of time, as in rev though the range up to more or less limit then let it come back down and cool off. i'll drive it like this for 1000 miles ish. the actual manual says 1000km.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
wouldnt even touch the red line or go above 2.5k revs for 1st 2000miles! like i said above i am so careful with cars

my currect car! i drive it about roound the streets for a few miles to get engine nice and warm before taking it on motorway for work

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now this is really interesting, ask my dealer a week ago when i picked up my new GTI, as to whether the engine needs to be run in, she was the manager of the place , she's says no it doesn't need to be run in, I was quite surprised about this, she's says no they don't need to be run in, not on these new cars, they used to be, but not anymore. Even when I was test driving the GTI 3 months ago I asked the sales guy next to me about it and even he said no, he says that the engines are runned in at the factory before they are shipped.

I haven't listened to them, and i'm currently running in mine, keeping the revs below 3000 rpm for the first 1000 miles. I'm just wondering why the dealers are saying this? is it because i'm 23? and would they say the same to someone who is older?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Now this is really interesting, ask my dealer a week ago when i picked up my new GTI, as to whether the engine needs to be run in, she was the manager of the place , she's says no it doesn't need to be run in, I was quite surprised about this, she's says no they don't need to be run in, not on these new cars, they used to be, but not anymore. Even when I was test driving the GTI 3 months ago I asked the sales guy next to me about it and even he said no, he says that the engines are runned in at the factory before they are shipped.
Usual rubbish churned out by dealers who have no knowledge of the products they sell. Why not go back, ask the question again, then when they have reapeated their bogus advice you could flourish the car handbook and ask them why they think the manufacturer provides advice on how to operate a new car during the running in period?

·
Registered
178 Posts
to be honnest i think the running in stated in the manual is more for the brakes and tyres to settle down, because car manufacturers dont want people buying new cars and driving them too hard on new tyres and brakes and having a major accident. my method sort of errs on the side of caution while still giving the engine a run through its rev range to loosen it up.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
to be honnest i think the running in stated in the manual is more for the brakes and tyres to settle down
Not entirely, although it pays to allow them to bed in - Most manufacurers suggest varying your driving conditions (motorway, town and country roads) and not using more than 70% or so of throttle travel in any gear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can drive your new car how you want but it wont last as long as a properly run in one.

Car manufactures do not run in the engines they are just made to better tolerances now and better manufactured than years ago with far superior engine oils if you vary the revs and don't labour the engine by using too high a gear with low revs and just take it a little easier for the suggested 1000km,the brakes only need 200 miles to bed in.

Pete.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it's anything like the TDI it's better to go easy at the start as mine was noticably looser after 1000 miles or so which just so happens to be the suggested run-in period. As to how much difference it really makes in the long run is anybody's guess, but for the money I'd rather exercise a bit of caution.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
to be honnest i think the running in stated in the manual is more for the brakes and tyres to settle down
Not entirely, although it pays to allow them to bed in - Most manufacurers suggest varying your driving conditions (motorway, town and country roads) and not using more than 70% or so of throttle travel in any gear.
Also, there would be no mention of engine speed in the manual if it was just brakes and tyres.

The way I looked at it was that there was conflicting advice, and one view was obviously wrong but there was only one view that was going to result in damage. For a measly 1000 miles, it's worth taking it easy for a bit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ran the engine in by mainly not taking it past 4k in the first 1000 miles with the odd short blast in lower gears to 5-5.5k after a couple of hundred miles, never let the engine labour by having the revs to low in too high a gear then after 1000miles gradually started taking it to the red line for longer periods by doing it in higher gears always allowing it to warm up and cool down. I'm now at 3000 miles and I haven't burnt a drop of oil, guy I work with got a GTI 2 months before me didn't take it past 2.5k for 2000miles and I was in the car with him traveling at 35 in 6th with the engine not liking it at all he has just bought his 3rd litre carton of oil for his car and his is at 4k now, my oil is also cleaner looking on the dipstick. Mines is now feeling nice and smooth pulling well to the redline I had a go of his and it feels tighter than mine and doesn't feel as quick to the redline after 5.5k. So who has run the engine in better ? its all a matter of opinon however I think over the two I've had the better balance.

You need to balance run it in too easy which will take the piston rings longer to bed in causing it to burn a little oil, if you don't take it above 2k you'll never get the turbo on full boost so won't be running the turbo in properly which won't do it any good when you suddenly let rip with it after 1-2k . Its not revs that are bad for the engine when running it its labouring the engine.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Some of you lads really go to town on the running in!!

No more than 2k revs.. are you mad?!

I just drive them normally, no ragging it to bits but giving it plenty of 'normal' driving.

The only car I've come across which specifically gave you set intervals for running in and rev limits was a BMW M3 (and obviously nicer cars again with bigger engines but I haven't had the pleasure).

I think some of us seem to forget sometimes that nice and all as they are.. they're just Golfs! A GTI is not meant to be driven like Miss Daisy.

I had my last GTI for a few hours a few weeks ago as my new one was getting something done in the dealers and my old GTI felt so much quicker compared to my new one with just a few hundred kms at the time so the way I ran the last one in seemed to do the trick. Nothing worse than a tight engine. Maybe a tight girl but that's a different matter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm getting mine on Friday, after 4 month wait, and this is exactly want I plan to do. I'm planning a 1200 mile trip over the weekend to get to know her better [:D]!

Can't wait! BTW, her specs are DSG,Xenon's, Sunroof, Black, Black leather, MFS and 18" ....

Great forum and there are obviously quite knowledgeable people onboard.

Regards!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm getting mine on Friday, after 4 month wait, and this is exactly want I plan to do. I'm planning a 1200 mile trip over the weekend to get to know her better [:D]!

Can't wait! BTW, her specs are DSG,Xenon's, Sunroof, Black, Black leather, MFS and 18" ....

Great forum and there are obviously quite knowledgeable people onboard.

Regards!
cool sounds nice, get some pics posted when it arrives.

just a thought tho, are you not better off waiting another week to get it on september the 1st and the new reg?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hmm...didn't think of that.... I will talk to the dealer asap!. Thanks!
You really do need to talk to him as your car will be worth a measurable amount less (come sale time) if you have it on an 06 plate rather than wait another week and get the new plate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
wouldnt even touch the red line or go above 2.5k revs for 1st 2000miles! like i said above i am so careful with cars

my currect car! i drive it about roound the streets for a few miles to get engine nice and warm before taking it on motorway for work
This will do your engine more harm than good, - it will end up being very tight and won't rev very well.

You need to take it easy for the first 1k, - try to keep it below 4000rpm but just drive normally. After 500 miles or so maybe take it upto 4500/5000rpm occasionally.

After 1000 miles you need to start using more of the rev range but ensure the engine is properly warmed up first. In fact after 1000 miles I tend to drive mine quite hard to loosen up the engine.

That's my two penneth worth anyway

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
As mentioned above, the handbook advises on how to run a new car in, also worth avoiding is prolonged driving at the same speed and throttle position (motorways except the M25 ) and labouring the engine, which is often more harmfull than high revs.

It's not just about then engine though, there the gear syncros and brake and clutch linings that need time to settle in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts