Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight in southend i got pulled over.

i have german plates on my car (as my car is euro style'd) which i know are illegal, however i forgot to take my standard set with me.

the not-so friendly policeman didn't believe i didn't have my standard plates, and decided to search my car, which i'm not sure if he is allowed to do?

while doing this the usual chavy saxo's 106s etc were driving past with neons on and music etc etc, i said are you going to stop them.. he replied no.. im just looking for illegal numberplates

grrr i know they are illegal but its just annoying that the other people don't get caught

anyway my fault really, i'm now on the 'naughty' list and he is going to report my car to the dvla.. he even took a picture of it- maybe he just liked the car?!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
seriously what is the use in police these days, there is gun crimes, rapes etc going on but they stop someone because of their number plates. its pathetic.

as you said those chavy 106's and saxo's are probably going to break the speed limit at some point in the night and thats all ok, but because your number plates they stop you, gutted for you mate. btw i bet he did like your car for the pic, who in their right state of mind wouldnt like a mk4

·
Registered
906 Posts
Last week i saw the police pull over a corsa with black plates on, not sure what happened as he still has his plates on the car.

I got german plates and so far i have been ok, now i have my standard plates in the boot.

I think he must of been out to pick on particular people.

Which german plates do you have mate?

I got mine through germanplates on the web site and dubmister which is currently on the car.

Tam

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Did he fine you ??

German plates arn't strictly illegal, as long as they conform to european standards and use reflective white/yellow paint.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Read this from Dubmeisters website.

The Law And German Plates01 Dec 2005
We had some contact from DVLA regarding pressed alloy German plates, and were asked to make sure all were aware they are illegal for road use, and to sell strictly for off road use..no problem and we have posted this on the Show plate page.

Then info came in that their was a section in the Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 saying otherwise...
And we quote:

1PART 1

VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d[13], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

PART 2

VEHICLES REGISTERED ON OR AFTER 1ST JANUARY 1973 AND BEFORE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of reflex-reflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a[14], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

© Crown Copyright 2001
Section from page:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm#sch2

Note (b) in each section!

We are seeking definate clarification...

Quote from email received direct today from DVLA Swansea.

"I can confirm that your assumption is mostly correct and European number plates may be used legally on vehicles manufactured between these dates (1973 and 2001). Schedule 2 Part 1 also extends the 'European' facility to number plates fitted on vehicles manufactured after September 2001. However, the equivalence test would be carried out against the latest issued British Standard"

Our plates are German DIN standard marked...so should be UK legal in themselves...We have more work to do, but will be doing this with some urgency.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm thats interesting... mines 2002 [:S]

the only other thing i forgot to say.. he reckons he is going to apply to the dvla to get my private plate taken off, and my car put on a q-plate

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in fairness the plates are quite illegal...

Posted Image

but it just annoys me that the then pay no attention to the people not wearing seat belts, and have there car lit up like xmas trees. oh well.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i can't speak for them up in southend, but I wouldn't stop a car like yours except maybe to have a look a it. I'll stop people for mobile phones and seatbelts as i've seen alot of crashes caused by them, well phones anyway, and seatbelts as you must be pretty stupid now days not to wear one!, the plates is a difficult issue, as I understand why you havethem but I like dubs and mod my car in a similar vein, many people don't understand why you would put german plates on it, and looks a bit sus. There are stacks of polish and european cars in london that are not insured so we stop as many as possible, the cars then get seized and the owners get fined. I'm sure you would prefer it if we did that once your car had been damaged by an uninsured driver.

geeza's plates are illegal in that they aren't spaced correctly, but I haven't heard of people taking private plates away before.

sorry to go off on one but, gold golf ... its nothing to do with there being murderers out there to catch and better things to do, you stop a dodgy looking car which has no insurance and often theres a lot more to it, as when someone doesn't care about insurance, driving licence etc, what else don't they worry about?

not saying your car is dodgy at all geeza, i think its wicked

·
Registered
191 Posts
in fairness the plates are quite illegal...

Posted Image

but it just annoys me that the then pay no attention to the people not wearing seat belts, and have there car lit up like xmas trees. oh well.
they are like and illegally spaced , but there is no need to threaten getting your number plates taken off you

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i can't speak for them up in southend, but I wouldn't stop a car like yours except maybe to have a look a it. I'll stop people for mobile phones and seatbelts as i've seen alot of crashes caused by them, well phones anyway, and seatbelts as you must be pretty stupid now days not to wear one!, the plates is a difficult issue, as I understand why you havethem but I like dubs and mod my car in a similar vein, many people don't understand why you would put german plates on it, and looks a bit sus. There are stacks of polish and european cars in london that are not insured so we stop as many as possible, the cars then get seized and the owners get fined. I'm sure you would prefer it if we did that once your car had been damaged by an uninsured driver.

geeza's plates are illegal in that they aren't spaced correctly, but I haven't heard of people taking private plates away before.

sorry to go off on one but, gold golf ... its nothing to do with there being murderers out there to catch and better things to do, you stop a dodgy looking car which has no insurance and often theres a lot more to it, as when someone doesn't care about insurance, driving licence etc, what else don't they worry about?

not saying your car is dodgy at all geeza, i think its wicked
Totally agree. Lots of people are too quick to run the public services (particularly the police) down, but never quick enough to publicise when they do a good job. There's a lot of generalising on this site based on one person's bad experience. We're always going to be biased on here because we love our cars and when we are pulled for doing something wrong, we complain.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its my fault at the end of the day, bu ti do think its very 'petty'

he also wanted to take my plates as evidence? all seems a little vain to me

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hear what you're saying mate and it does seem a bit petty. I know its not the crime of the century and, to be honest, most coppers would only give you words of advice about it.

With regards to the "why are'nt they out catching rapists and burglars" comments, what you have to remember is that most rapists and burglars drive cars and its a lot harder to check or identify their vehicles when you can't read their bloody number plates!

Most people in this country believe that the police only pick on motorists because we have nothing better to do or becaue we are simply only interested in generating revenue from fines etc. This may be true with certain agencies but what you have to remember is that a hell of a lot of information can be gained about peoples movements from simply stopping cars or reading number plates. A number plate tells us who owns the vehicle, if its taxed, if its insured, if its MOTed, if its stolen, any suspicious activities the vehicle may have been involved in, it may have firearms warnings, drugs warnings, etc

Stopping and checking vehicles is a vital way of disrupting local criminals and police are at liberty to stop any vehicle on a public road in order to check the drivers documents although, as stated above, most of this can be done now without leaving the vehicle.

Not suggesting that you are a local criminal either.

I know its annoying when some little tosser in a chav mobile drives past as you are getting checked, but they will get stopped aswell at some point.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The fact of the matter is the Police are under immense pressure from the home office and government to clean up crime and get statisitics to fall... so lets of easy to clean up crimes are being targeted in one foul swoop.

The fact is what happened to you was just a statisitc. The bobby was able to fill in a form tick every box bar the last and just write advice given.

If they had pulled the Saxo.. etc the likely hood is it would have been a whole rigmarole, he woldnt have been insured, there will have been weed in the car etc etc .. this means the guy has to be knicked statements taken (which in itself will take bobnnies of the beat for half a shift) and then when it comes to court or a threat of prosecution the CPS will chuck it out on the basis "not in the public interest" then it skewes the Chief consatbles figures as it goes down as an usnolved/unpunished crime.

I get this all the time and have seen a real increas of this in the last year and absolutely ppug sick of it... I have staff getting bollocked left right and centre and warnings being given and Police refusing to watch CCTV eveidnce which shows the staff did there job properly (knocking back under ages for booze) but yet the Bobbies get to tick there boxes and it all adds to the home offices statisitics.

·
Registered
370 Posts
hmmm thats interesting... mines 2002 [:S]

the only other thing i forgot to say.. he reckons he is going to apply to the dvla to get my private plate taken off, and my car put on a q-plate
Sad thing is.... they can take your plate - you will be issued with an "age related" plate, corresponding to the year your car was first registered. Details on the dvla personal reg site. Any one with serious miss spaced plates or with dodgy script is being targeted at the moment.

By the looks of the euro plates on A17 TYO ( bacardi geezers? ), and the letter of the law, you cannot separate the groups of letters / numbers - you are banged to rights with that sticker in between the T and the Y. Move that over, you might get a lot less blue light action. They are also on the lookout for genuine EU registered cars, as if they are here on holiday, they are insured: but those here long term need to apply for UK plates and tax disc, insurance. All the things that they dont have to pay if they keep the plates from the homeland. Just take a look around, Polish plates are a big hit around here - some have been here 3 years! You are just gonna know they havn't got paperwork for them, and will just shrug thier shoulders and start gibbering if caught out.

Just pray one of those f*ckers with no papers dont ram your car! Not a hope of getting a penny.

Dibble is a very anal animal, and they all have a particular different thing that pisses them off. Time was, Andover had a WPC who hated peeps not letting DVLA know of changed addresses and selling cars. Makes it a bitch to trace cars and people, and if she found you with papers that werent up to date, beware!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Sad thing is.... they can take your plate - you will be issued with an "age related" plate, corresponding to the year your car was first registered. Details on the dvla personal reg site. Any one with serious miss spaced plates or with dodgy script is being targeted at the moment
Yup, if they want to they can revoke a cherished number if its 'being abused'. Your car would go back to its original registration.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sad thing is.... they can take your plate - you will be issued with an "age related" plate, corresponding to the year your car was first registered. Details on the dvla personal reg site. Any one with serious miss spaced plates or with dodgy script is being targeted at the moment
Yup, if they want to they can revoke a cherished number if its 'being abused'. Your car would go back to its original registration.
and worse still - you wont get a penny back from the plod or the dvla - its all in the small print. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts