Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just purchased a new gt tdi (first diesel) and have been advised for the first 1000 miles do not exceed 3000 rpm but make sure to reach it regularly. for next 1000 miles (to 2000 miles) dont exceed 3500 rpm but again make sure to reach it regularly

to 3000 miles not to exceed 4000 rpm but reach it regularly

up to 4000 miles dont exceed 4500 rpm but reach 4500 rpm a couple of times a week. after that no limit.

as this is will self clean the injectors and blows any soot out of exhaust and helps to free of piston rings making the engine more efficient and less likely to use oil.

does anyone no if this is right (or not)would be interested in any comments[?] marlin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well Melin, it seems there is a lot of BS out there when it comes to running in cars. Most people will tell you that engines these days are so well made, you should cain them from day 1 etc.

From personal experience, I would recommend taking it easy upto about 1500 miles, just keeping the revs varied rather then stuck to one narrow band. You don't need to be anal about sticking the formula you have described, but I think in essence its probably close to the truth. You will see the benefits close to about 50k miles, when the car will drive beautifully...like mine!

·
Registered
261 Posts
That sounds crazy! how would you remember that? I mean u could get it mixed up and end up doing 4000 miles and not exceed 3500 rpm! I know if i were asked to stick to that sort of regime it would drive me nuts!

I'm sure it varies from car manufacturer to manufacturer but 'gentle' driving for the first few thousand miles will usually do it.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Personally I run my cars in in the same manner!

For the first 500 miles I baby them, vary the revs remeber that the brakes, gearbox etc are all new and need bedding in.

For the next 500 miles I start taking the rev's up a lot higher but not holding them up at the upper rev range. After that it's open day on the rev's.

All my cars have run lovely and sweet and none have used oil (well my r32 needed less than half a litre in 18.5K miles which I think is pretty good but my 1.8T never used a drop)

J.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
4K until driving it....LMFAO!!

If you want to, take it easy for the first 1K and that is it.

I took it gently for maybe the first 300 or 400 miles and then drove it hard. She put out 153 and 155 bhp stock on two different RRs so the only thing it sounds like my hard-ish driving did was loosen up the engine nicely!

You'd be doing well to even reach 4,500 fully.

Let me guess who told you this? Either a stealer or some guy down the pub?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It can take a long tim for diesel engine to bed in, they are running on oil after all. My car used a lot less oil just after 20 thousand miles and it performance increased slightly to.

This question comes up often on Diesel Car forum. The replies posted to this type of question agree with what your dealer said.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have to be honest and say I followed that advice [:I] Mind you didn't take me long to get the mileage up. It sure has opened up more now. Coming up for the 10000 mile service very soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another question on the diesel...do they get quieter over time. I am a littl surprised how noisey the 2.0tdi is at low speeds and idle. Well..compared to a Laguna I was in the other day that is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, Any new car I have had, I took it easy for the first 1000 miles thats it!.

However I have always noticed that for the first 2 or 3 full tanks of derv, the mpg was a lot lower. My current car 2.0TDI Golf has currently has only 1450miles, and the computer is showing only 41mpg on both the 1st and 2nd memory, to achieve anything higher, i have to drive no faster than 65mph. So I'm hoping that this will improve as the miles increase.

My last car an Audi 2002 1.9TDI 130PD, always showed 47.6 or thereabouts no matter how hard you pushed it, with 50.4mpg easily achieved with more careful driving

Before that I had a mkIV Golf 130TDIPD, which also achieved 47mpg

Any body else notice improved MPG as the miles clocked up???

·
Registered
31 Posts
We've been taking it fairly easy - less than 2500rpm for the first 100 miles, 3000 rpm 100-500 miles, bursts of 3500rpm upto 1000 miles, then I think we'll just go for it (currently on 650 miles)

On the MPG thing, we did a motorway run at the weekend (230 miles) and averaged 50.1mpg (according to MFD) - so if it improves further I'll be really impressed. It seems to be pretty easy to get 52mpg+ on B roads.

On a negative note, we've just had a new windscreen fitted at 2 weeks old due to a stonechip / crack [:(!]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Around 6k the car seems to drive much better and mpg improves, over 11.5k and the sudden increse in mpg i have witnessed has been unbeleivable!

My last tank (refilled at 12,300) averaged 53 on a brim to brim

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My dealer advised no more than 3k revs for the 1st 1000miles, what he didnt tell me was that @ 3k in 6th i'd be doing 100mph [:D]

·
Registered
137 Posts
@124joanmount

I monitored my mkII mr2 until it hit about 160k when i got rid. Between 80k to 150k it went up by nearly 5mpg and mpg was still increasing (oil consumption was rising albeit very slowly after 130k) it was doing nearly 40mpg (taking it easy) when i got rid

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The 2.0 TDI is not as economical as the 1.9s - that's the first thing.

Seeing 41mpg on one with just over 1K on the clock is very good IMO.

If you use the torque to shift very quickly you'll see mainly high 30s, early 40s. I've never had less than 400 miles out of a tank and the most I've had (up and down the country) was 540.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts