Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The insides of my alloys are rubbing on the stutt(if that what its called) part of my suspension when i turn hard, i have 18"rs4 alloys, what do i need to do

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The insides of my alloys are rubbing on the stutt(if that what its called) part of my suspension when i turn hard, i have 18"rs4 alloys, what do i need to do
I am assuming that the alloys have an offset of 35mm-30mm and the inside of the tyre is catching on the height adjustable platform on the strut (coilovers). I guess you have coilovers as you should not have this problem on the standard suspension.

I'm guessing that the car has been lowered a lot so either raise the platform (but also increase ride height) or like caged has mentioned put some spacers on....

Spacer wise try a low 3-6mm spacer as you don't want to push the wheel/tyre to far out from the car as you will then start to have rubbing problems of where the tyre will catch on the arches, when you hit bumps or corner to fast.

Hope that helps.....[:)]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Are 3mm hubcentric spacers available?, if so where would i be able to get them from?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i need to know where n how much too
Double check the offset, but if you have an offset of 35mm then I think 8mm would be about the max for the front... only my opinion though!!!! and you may need to get longer bolts and your locking wheel nuts might be to short to use, but double check. The rears should be OK with 15mm spacers, but beware re longer bolts and locking bolts, with spacers this large it might cost a lot for very long bolts.

Offset of 30mm then 3mm should be about the max for the front and maybe 10mm spacers at the back.

With my alloys I'm running 30mm offset and my brakes give me a further 2mm, so mine are now 28mm offset and they only catch on the outter arch when hitting big bumps.

When I had my car lower then I currently do then I use to have to use 3mm spacers to clear the Coilover platform... I got them from Halfords and I think they cost about ?14.99. With an ofset of 30mm and a 3mm spacer the locking bolts still work.

I hope this info helps and is not to confusing...

If you need any further tips, then please give me your set up details (i.e current Wheel offset, what coilovers etc) and I'll and others will try their best for you...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
how do i find out my offset?
I think your wheels will be 30mm... to check you could call the place you bought them from or normally alloy wheels have the offset written on the inside of one of the spokes.. may need to remove the wheel to check, but first try calling the supplier...

What suspension are you running?

What tyre dimensions are you also running?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
rang the suplyer n the ofset is 35mm so what do you advise mate ? get some 5mm spacers?
I hope after all this help you are going to vote for my car?????...... LOL ( http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/295467/ShowPost.aspx )

Right back to the problem....

If you have 225/40/18 tyres, with a wheel offset of 35mm then a 5mm spacer would be the best option for the front and the locking nuts should fit. The 5mm spacer would also position the wheel with sufficient space away from the outter arch.

It might be best to try a 3mm spacer first but check to see and predict how much additional space you need. When I bought my first set of 6mm spacers from Halfords.. it pushed the wheels out to far and I took them back and blagged that they did not fit due to the stud pattern and then exchanged them for 3mm ones which were perfect. The smaller the spacer you can get away with the better.

How about trying a 3mm spacer and if that does not fully get rid of the rubbing then try and turn the coilover platforms up a bit to gain a couple extra mm's. or if you don't want to raise the coilover platforms then just return the spacers to Halfords and blag tht they did not fit and then go for a 5-6mm set.

if you go for 5-6mm at the front then it might be worth getting a further set for the rears to balance the car out, so the fronts don't stick out more than the rears. With 3mm spacers you might not need to do this....

Please note that this is my recommendation with the best fit for my car when I had RS4's in 18"... I found that 30mm offset (or 35mm offset plus 5mm spacer) cleared my coilovers... I now have 19"s with 30mm offset and I have no problems, but I'm guessing your car is lower..

Good luck mate.. and if you need any furthr help then just let me know.

Cheers

Kev...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers mate i went and got 2 sets of 5mm spacers, had them fitted and the problem is sorted cheers everyone now the car sit nicer too

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hi, i,m a little confused as to why some 8 inch width wheels will rub on coilovers, i thought the whole point of coilovers was so that you could lower all you like, and that it shouldnt touch the wheels!, ive got some alloys which are 19 inches by 8 inchers across and they have an offset of 35 mm, if i fit my coilovers on and lower it to be either the same drop as RSGOLFS or about 5 mm lower would i need spacers as well, as i dont want them!, if so i may have to buy a complete anni golf suspension setup as they are the lowest drop from the factory!.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mines realy low mate, the spacers cost next to nothing and are effective, coilovers are good as i slam it for everyday and wen i need to eg wen i went to southern france i was able to higher it so i could have lugage n not bottom the car out on the drive down. the aniversary kit in my eyes aint that low

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
cheers mate i went and got 2 sets of 5mm spacers, had them fitted and the problem is sorted cheers everyone now the car sit nicer too
Good to here your sorted...

Did you need new wheel bolts in the end?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hi, i,m a little confused as to why some 8 inch width wheels will rub on coilovers, i thought the whole point of coilovers was so that you could lower all you like, and that it shouldnt touch the wheels!, ive got some alloys which are 19 inches by 8 inchers across and they have an offset of 35 mm, if i fit my coilovers on and lower it to be either the same drop as RSGOLFS or about 5 mm lower would i need spacers as well, as i dont want them!, if so i may have to buy a complete anni golf suspension setup as they are the lowest drop from the factory!.

Thanks
The main problem with coilovers is the height you set them too.....

When I had my car lower than at the moment.... the inside tyre walls were at the same level that the coilover platforms and as result wore a very slight mark in the tyre wall.

I know what you mean about spacers as I did not want them either... due to being a pain, in lining them up every time you remove and refit your wheels,,,,,, plus sometimes wheel spacers cause wobble problems at speed to the steering (like the wheels have not been balanced correctly), due to them not being placed in the dead centre of the hub.

3mm spacers are normally very light and don't cause the wobble problem.

As long as your alloys are 30mm offset then you should have no problems, with rubbing the platforms. My current alloys are 19" x 8.5" with 235/35/19 and I have no issues or spacers.

If you do not want to go for coilovers due to the platforms, which may cause problems, then go for an aftermarket sports suspension kit as the suspension platforms are already positioned above the wheel, but they will not be height adjustable.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
mines realy low mate, the spacers cost next to nothing and are effective, coilovers are good as i slam it for everyday and wen i need to eg wen i went to southern france i was able to higher it so i could have lugage n not bottom the car out on the drive down. the aniversary kit in my eyes aint that low
Do you have any pictures so Hz2921can see at what height your tyres will hit at...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts