Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I popped into my local car "bits and bobs" shop today (Autoparts of Inverurie, some of you may know it) and noticed they had a set of 17" Audi RS4 alloys for sale. When I asked about the price of them the guy said ?600!

However a member of UK-MKIV's gave me this website which has them for ?475 (http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=28&P_ID=155&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=117).

With this knowledge I asked the guy if they do a price match as I can get them cheaper online. He seemed pretty shocked by this and said it seemed too cheap and that they have probably been refurbished.

Is this the case or does he just want me to pay ?600 for their set?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are they with or without tyres? Without tyres, ?600 is expensive, with tyres, probably about right I would have thought. Obviously the type of tyre can have a huge effect on the price...and in my opinion you shouldnt ever skimp on tyres!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
That link you gave rfor rocjford are replicas not OEM parts.
yep, they may be replicas, but i got my wheels from there, and they ARE NOT REFURBISHED or anything like that, and they are top quality........get them from Rochford Tyres and save the cash. The guy you spoke too was just gutted that his price had been smashed [Y]

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine are rs6 reps, the oem audi dont fit on the golf unless you use adapters anyway, different pcd. Also the real audi rs4/6 dont come in anything bigger than 17".

Mine cost me ?520 with kuhmo 712 40's. And iam quite pleased with them, i will say though if you park a rep alongside a oem, you will notice slight casting imperfections.

Also make sure you get Italian reps and not Jap ones.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine are rs6 reps, the oem audi dont fit on the golf unless you use adapters anyway, different pcd. Also the real audi rs4/6 dont come in anything bigger than 17".

Mine cost me ?520 with kuhmo 712 40's. And iam quite pleased with them, i will say though if you park a rep alongside a oem, you will notice slight casting imperfections.

Well it must matter to some people and as I'm a young student it's not the sort of money I can just throw away if you get what I mean....

I just want full confirmation on whether the tyres are ok and would like more people's opinions on this....

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok good news about the tyres, do you know whether they are Italian or Jap though?

Also do you have to get your speedo recalibrated once these have been fitted and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
404 Posts

Well it must matter to some people and as I'm a young student it's not the sort of money I can just throw away if you get what I mean....

I just want full confirmation on whether the tyres are ok and would like more people's opinions on this....
Sorry iam not trying to patronise you, nor am i in a position to class myself any richer than a "Poor student".

Iam not wealthy, i saved up for my wheels for 9 months and, as it took blood and sweat doing so i was gonna get the best quality wheels i could.

The Jap reps are poor quality, make your choice but its better to wait and save up for the best option, any self proclaiming v dubber will offer thus advice.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's right down my line of thinking... this will be the first mod to the car and I want to get it right!

So are you saying it's better to go the extra mile for OEM or get the reps but just make sure they are Italian?

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's right down my line of thinking... this will be the first mod to the car and I want to get it right!

So are you saying it's better to go the extra mile for OEM or get the reps but just make sure they are Italian?
If you want 17" and really want to pay large sums then get oem, but consider about ?120 on top for the adapters.

Reps are cheaper and fit straight on, and come in larger sizes, 18,19 etc which is another reason to get them.

Italian reps are better quality then jap, if your unsure what you are buying then ring up and ask if they are Japanese reps, dont mention Italian, that way if he says yes to jap or dosent know then you know where you stand.

Where are you based?, i can show you where i got mine if you like.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ok thanks, I am based in Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Ok, iam a bit to far away lol.

Find an alloy wheel dealer in Scotland and go down and have a look at some wheels, maybe ring first to make sure they have some rs in stock.

I didnt want to gamble with ebay myself, but iam sure some folk must have had good results. But it is a gamble, antone will tell you that.

Good luck and use ya common sense. If they offer you some reps with p zeros or any top quality tyre for less than 500 then you gotta ask yourself where the quality is skimped on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts