Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hmm VW Lookers put the car through diagnosis. ‘System Too Rich’ and ‘Throttle Pressure’ issue. They said they need more time on diagnosis and £150 to boot. Definitely not PCV issue they said. Will look at getting some throttle cleaner but no real answers. Car runs at about 75% of potential, so thinking now of a Service and sale...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finally got the Major Service booked in for Monday. Have picked up a N75 Solenoid Valve and Crankcase Valve in case these are the culprits.With the Throttle Pressure issue hopefully the service will identify the leak if there is one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, so final update. Major service carried out and STILL we have the rough misfire. Mr Clutch reckons it's the Clutch but I'm really not convinced. The N75 Solenoid Valve has been installed too and the car is still on the thirsty side. Pretty frustrating stuff. The car still has loads of power and cruises nicely at 70mph but about town it's no fun. Over to someone else to fix. £500 now to anyone who wants an AUM engine and a project!

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Did he check the coil packs afaik you got 4 separate ones and although the wires in them are hidden they do sometimes ware through thus causing problems, it's one of the reasons why there are upgrade coilpacks available and sold by the likes of awesome gti etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Hmm. I don't think so. Change of oil, new air, oil and fuel filters. One thing that hasn't been changed! Last chance city, in that case. I replaced them in 2017, but the issue back then was power drop at 40/50mph and revs going all over the place, a bit different from the shaking at stationary, which is the issue I have now. I'm so reluctant to continue playing 'parts darts'....:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ah. Ordered some new coil packs and swopped over yesterday. No difference whatsoever so we're now selling. Such a shame not to quite get to the bottom of the issue - car runs powerfully at 60-80 but it is still a noticeable judder at idle. Mr Clutch manager at Wimbledon has offered to investigate further as he's convinced it's a clutch issue, but I've decided to spend the weekend looking at different cars to buy. Bodywork, electrics and interior are all excellent for the car's age, plus new tyres, so now open to offers. It's the AUM engine so qualifies as ULEZ, I got the official documentation from VW. Scrap value is £350 so would consider anything above that to take it away, once I've got a new car!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Had a month of looking at new cars...and still have the GTI! Another garage (Halfords!) have looked at it and have assured me it's a misfire, not a clutch issue and have recommended an auto-electrical in Wimbledon for another diagnosis. Following the service it's still ok to drive - apart from the infernal shaking when stationary. Like sitting above a London bus engine. If I can (finally!) get to the bottom of what's happening, then could be looking at selling for slightly more that £350...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ah. Ordered some new coil packs and swopped over yesterday. No difference whatsoever so we're now selling. Such a shame not to quite get to the bottom of the issue - car runs powerfully at 60-80 but it is still a noticeable judder at idle. Mr Clutch manager at Wimbledon has offered to investigate further as he's convinced it's a clutch issue, but I've decided to spend the weekend looking at different cars to buy. Bodywork, electrics and interior are all excellent for the car's age, plus new tyres, so now open to offers. It's the AUM engine so qualifies as ULEZ, I got the official documentation from VW. Scrap value is £350 so would consider anything above that to take it away, once I've got a new car!
View attachment 51662
Where abouts are u mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Am based in Rotherhithe/Tooting. Had a good spin tonight and it‘a still very much driveable and better after the service but still needs tweaking...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I’m just in Croydon n know these inside out map them work on them got vcds rather than u keep blowing money I’m happy to take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So.. in the end bought at 06 1.4 FSI Sport which drives amazingly in comparison. BUT, I've still got the GTI as there's part of me that thinks there's still an easy fix. Away at the moment but hopefully will be taking up the kind offers of VCDS investigation. Vaccuum leak/exhaust leak the next avenues. Or am I being optimistic trying to ressurrect a 21 year old car, just to sell on for £750?:unsure:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Imo stick with trying to fix it now that you've got another car. There's no rush to sort it now so you can spend time fault finding and diagnosing why it's not running right.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I agree no rush now that you have another run around. Just take your time to sort it out. Than when the time is ripe either sell it or make it a project car

·
NooNoo
9,460 Posts
For me, this stinks of DMF. Unfortunately it's an expensive punt!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, in the end the car went for £340, with month left on the MOT. Had no less than four timewasters on eBay with winning bids and then no-shows, before someone turned up and had the cash! It definitely needed a new clutch and I really suspect the only solution to the misfires across all four cylinders and seriously lumpy running would have been a complete donor engine. One of the commentators was right - if there's a problem you can only expect a little above scrap value. Finally able to cancel that insurance and tax...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts