Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6055128.stm

The government wants to introduce pay per a mile as you drive and get rid of fuel tax/duty and abolish road Tax, but there one major problem here, PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

The other week I took the bus, this was the first time since passing my driving test that I have done this.

Jump on the bus for 2 mile journey was only 70p but forgot to get return ticket, on my return journey I was charged £2.70, I asked why is so much more he said going this direction there is more stops so is more money, wow I thought this expensive so total journey has cost £3.40 for 4 miles in my car even with going briskly its not going to cost £3.40 even with all costs accounted for as that is almost the price for a gallon of petrol.

The government if they are going to push forward with this better get public transport up to scratch, as a lot people I would say would not be able to afford to go to work.

What are your opinions on this?

Would you stop going to work if it costs too much?

Would you just pay up? And make cut backs on other items?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't understand their thoughts on "encouraging people not to use their cars during busy times." They are only busy times because the vast majority of people start and finish work at the same time, so this to me, seems pointless as everyone will still HAVE to travel during these times no matter what happens, unless they change the business/working hours.

"For a month they will go about their normal motoring lives, but every minute we will keep a record of where they have been." I don't want my family know where i've been ever minute of every day never mind the government.

Also I think if they do bring this in, after a few years they will use it to monitor speed and for every lapse of concentration we will get fined, meaning a more stressful time on the roads IMO, and they plan on it making travelling easier.

my 2p

Dean

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I reckon about 20% of the population would be able to get to work on public transport. I reckon the other 80% would not be able to. Not everyone lives in a city with a bus every 10 mins. I for instance simply would not be able to get to work without my car. Unless I walked the 6 mile part that public transport does not cover.

Even if a bus did cover those 6 miles, it would take hours. Takes me 45 mins. Takes the buses about 6 hours to do the same thing (20 miles) because non of them link up. They get you from one town to another, but non take you directly where you want to go.

I would have to go in the wrong direction about 25 miles into plymouth to get to where I want to go!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Would people stop going to work? I doubt it!

Public transport wouldn't really work for me as I travel to site during the day for meetings. I could if I was office based take the train

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't think it will work, but i am convinced it will happen. Also if they are going to go to the trouble of tracking every car by satellite then you can bet that satellite will be linked to a computer that knows the speed limit for the road you are on. The gps system by its very nature know exactly how fast you are going.............

Jeremy Clarkson said this years ago, seems he will be right, again. I think something that might be a good idea in the meantime however, is the scrapping Road Tax and putting it on fuel idea. Yes i know we pay enough for fuel already but i had no idea how much money road tax dodgers cost the government. This way you truly would pay if you drive and not if you don't. Then they could plough the money saved into the roads! /2p

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
diesel4 that is a good idea

also is this idea to get people off the roads in the busy times or all the time? if the first then are they gonna to charge more for rush hour travel than not?

won't really affect me as i cycle and the missus can walk if she needs to but we have dual income to support one small commute rather than 2

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Public transport wouldn't work for me either, depending on what shift I'm on there isn't any.

And even at the times there is, it would take me about 2 hours with the routes I'd have to take, compared to 20mins in the car!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The techonolgy does exist for this to work properly anyway.  It will be a long time coming before they can get this up and running.  The compnay I work for have worked on aspects on this project for a few years.  It is a disaster from start to finish.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

What are your opinions on this?

Its a load of shite !

What these goons outside of London seem to forget is that we dont all have the tube or a regular bus service to get to work. I live not to far from east midland airport & work in central birmingham, but for me to get to work by public transport I would have to either get a bus to nottingham or leicester & then get the train in

Would you stop going to work if it costs too much?

Home > Nottingham : 1hour by bus @ £3 single ticket

Nottigham > Birmingham : 1hour by Train @ £13 single ticket

So 2 hours (+/-) later & £16 lighter I'm at work, only to have to endure this again to get home, which makes my daily commute £32 !

To drive to work it currently takes 50minutes (+/-) & costs me about £6.00 in diesel, public transport would take over twice as long & over 5 times the cost.

Would you just pay up? And make cut backs on other items?

Why should I have to cut back on other items, just to go to work ?? The whole idea of EARNING money is so you can spend it on what you want.

TBH, I'd consider giving up work & going on the benifits system, I've paid in to it for 20yrs, but then I remembered, it only works for those who havent paid it doesnt it.

The whole of the UK is just a JOKE, Those who work hard are taxed hard, those who dont work are given more & more insentive not to work.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I don't think it will work, but i am convinced it will happen. Also if they are going to go to the trouble of tracking every car by satellite then you can bet that satellite will be linked to a computer that knows the speed limit for the road you are on. The gps system by its very nature know exactly how fast you are going.............

Jeremy Clarkson said this years ago, seems he will be right, again. I think something that might be a good idea in the meantime however, is the scrapping Road Tax and putting it on fuel idea. Yes i know we pay enough for fuel already but i had no idea how much money road tax dodgers cost the government. This way you truly would pay if you drive and not if you don't. Then they could plough the money saved into the roads! /2p
Roads would stay the same with the money generated. Infact, wouldnt surprise me if they got worse, more congestion zones, higher car parking charges, more big brother cameras. They would be putting money back in, but to do things like specs, which can cost over a million pound. Things like the congestion zone. It wouldn't be used to fill the potholes in the roads.

·
Registered
674 Posts
But, in 10 years time "alternative fuels" should be much more developed - take the Electric cars you can buy now - not the fastest (usually only 20-30mph) but around say, London the average speed of a car is 5mph so this more then covers it. Its not a car you could use EVERYDAY for your family for instance but for a means to get in and out of work it could be ideal. No congestion charge, no wasting fuel while stuck in traffic and still warm and dry in the winter.

Im not saying this is perfect, but I'll be dammed if Im going to pay more money to get to work, to earn my wage, which is then taxed by the goverment at 40%. I already pay tax when I purchased the car, I then pay tax again on my yearly road tax, and I also pay tax on the damm fuel! If the goverment think Im paying more taxes after that so I can pay for a nice house and benifits for yet another family to come into the country from some place Ive a) never heard of and b) never want to go to then they can think again.

Im all for scrapping the Road Tax in favour of paying for it on the fuel costs. More you use the roads, more you pay for them. It could actually work very well apart from the large Haulier firms in the UK would really loose money, in turn put the delivery prices up, in turn end users pay MORE money for goods - so either way we all end up paying more money else where...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
As mentioned previously, as cars get cleaner, greener etc, the government will lose income from Fuel Tax. This will have to be changed to maintain income so no matter what, we will get shafted. There is nothing surer. Our country do not believe in cutting costs where the public believe they should be made. Instead, they devise ways to screw more money out of us.

No matter who gets in to power will use stealth "transport" tax one way or another. The Conservatives who had guaranteed my vote when they said they would be reducing fuel tax and speed scameras lost it again with the "pay as you burn" drivel.

I actually took the time to email David Cameron, and got two replies from them, the one below being the second.

"A proposal to reintroduce the fuel duty escalator is just one of many
submissions received by our Quality of Life policy group, launched by David
Cameron, as he prepares the ground for a fresh policy agenda on key issues
including transport and housing, urban planning, the environment and
countryside, and energy and climate change.

I did make clear in my previous e-mail that David Cameron feels that fuel duty
is a clear example of where tax has not helped cut emissions, because consumers
have not been given incentives and alternatives to move away from driving.
Britain's carbon emissions have risen in every one of the last three years.
Emissions from power generation have gone up by 15 per cent since 1997. And
Gordon Brown's tax increases have tilted the fiscal framework away from green
taxes.

David Cameron also believes that we are badly hampered in our competitiveness by
our second-rate transport system. But precisely because it is so important to
the economy, transport has other impacts - not least on the environment. Because
people travel to work, transport has a great impact on family and community life
too.

Studies show that every 10 minutes on your journey home time takes 10 per cent
off the time you give for involvement in voluntary work or community activities.
If we could improve our transport system for everyone we would not only help the
natural environment, we would help the social environment too, increasing the
biodiversity of local life the associations, affiliations and institutions which
give us the sense and the reality of belonging."

Its the kind of crap we have heard so many times before, and no doubt, as usual, the tax hike (and there is nothing surer than the fact transport will become more expensive) will be in place before the 'improved transport system for everyone' is and we will get royally shafted again.

Road charging will not work. We need a public transport system that would be the envy of the world, and not just in the major cities. The small towns, villages and countryside are more important than the cities if this is to work and these will be the areas that are ignored. Once this is in place, and priced at levels which are cheap (not comparatively cheap, so no more artificial and unfair increases in the cost of owning and running a car) it may be feasible to have road charging introduced.

This will take billions and many years to accomplish. Will the government wait this long and invest so much to make it all work? No chance. They will just go ahead and put the road charging in place anyway. The people who do not live in the major cities and have no alternative to the odd bus that probably takes 3-4 times as long to take them to where they need to be will still have no option but to travel. Maybe they will be charged less for using country roads, but as soon as they get to the city, they will be snared.

It does nto seem to matter which party gets in next either as they will all shaft us. Labour want Road Charging, Conservatives want Fuel Duty Escalator. And people wonder why there is voter apathy?! Its like deciding whether you want robbed at gun point or knife point!

·
Registered
162 Posts
For me to get to work on public transport would be £32 for the train ticket. To get to the train station its a 1 mile walk which isnt so bad but i leave at 6am now so to be at the station for around that time i would have to walk to the station at 5.45am then i would be home after work at like 7pm... And for £32 no thanks.

Costs be about £6 a day in the derv including wear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The article says that

Road charging of the sort we are trying out, using GPS satellite tracking, is unlikely to be introduced for at least 15 years.

It also states that the prices will be high enough to put people off driving in rush hours etc but if you are willing to pay the high costs you will have a less congested journey so once again the people on lower incomes are discriminated against and how will this stop the gas guzzling 4x4 drivers taking there kids to school ?.When I go to work most of the traffic jams are with people going to school and when there on holiday there are no jams !.

The way this country is going there will not be any jobs worth going to in 15 years time anyway so we can all have a rest

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
thing is, it'll go ahead, under the premise of a way to reduce conjestion and pollution, which it won't, but will it be scrapped? no, because it'll be raking in more money for the government which won't be put back into the system to improve the road network for the people that are being screwed. i'm gonna live in greenland.

and whats that bollocks about more time at home for voluntary work or community activities?! when i get back in from work i just wanna have some tea and watch some telly. won't find me wasting my spare time down the soup kitchen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts