Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just had a phone call from a very unhappy customer from one of our GB's (the Road Angel 2 to be specific) he drives a lot of miles on a daily base's and just happen's to be my dad [:I]

He's just come around a corner right by his own place of work where a mobile van was hidden just around the corners blind spot and he thinks he was doing about 48 in a 40 but the road angel didn't make a bl00dy sound [:O]

Anyone else had experience of the RA failing to work? or can I safety suggest that the man in the van was on a coffee break (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i think the laser detection on it isnt 100% to be honest. i spoke to blackspot about this and the lady i spoke to said that feature isnt 100% all the time, mainly due to the RA unit being on your dash, and the rozers aim the signal at your reg. thats why i got the RA and a snooper laser jammer.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Adam......there's nothing anyone can do about mobiles unless you're very lucky.

If your dad reads the RA2 manual it is very clear about what the RA2 laser detection performance is likely to be in various scenarios.

He could be lucky and get away with it.

Soz anyways

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 23/09/2004 13:08:38

i think the laser detection on it isnt 100% to be honest. i spoke to blackspot about this and the lady i spoke to said that feature isnt 100% all the time, mainly due to the RA unit being on your dash, and the rozers aim the signal at your reg. thats why i got the RA and a snooper laser jammer.

Mike, How'd you fnd your snooper (cough) garage door opener, has it paid for its self yet ? Dont suppose you have any pics of were you've mounted them do you ?

I too am thinking of adding one to go along side the RA.[:)]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 23/09/2004 13:30:57

Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 23/09/2004 13:08:38

Mike, How'd you fnd your snooper (cough) garage door opener, has it paid for its self yet ? Dont suppose you have any pics of were you've mounted them do you ?

I too am thinking of adding one to go along side the RA.[:)]

its been on for appx 2 months now and ive not had any rozzers to test it aganst yet! typical though this, just been out to lunch today, and sat there is a mobile speed camera van. But im in the my works van today plus i left the RA2 in my golf last night. luckily sombody flashed me to warn that the pig van was there so i slowed down to about 20mph! typical though isnt it! hope its there tommorrow because im coming to work in the golf tommorrow.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have passed several mobile vans with the laser gun hanging out the back and my Morpheous MicroPilot with laser detection has been silent. I really do believe it is all to do with the fact that they can be so accruate with their aim on the laser guns they can get the reg plate straight away.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by Foxy on 23/09/2004 13:22:06

Adam......there's nothing anyone can do about mobiles unless you're very lucky.

If your dad reads the RA2 manual it is very clear about what the RA2 laser detection performance is likely to be in various scenarios.

He could be lucky and get away with it.

Soz anyways

Foxy - its not your fault buddy [:)] I did explain to my dad no one can solely rely on any dector - and it should be viewed as an advantage rather than protection. I think like most of us our eyes usually spot the vans before any device but at times when your busy eyeing up that gorgeous 6ft blonde walking down the road the RA sure does its job [:D] I think my dad was in the redmist zone [}:)][;)]

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have read on page 12 in the instruction back that the vans do not test every single car that passes through, It may be your dad was lucky and was not zapped.

They are only allowed to test vehicles that they belive to be speeding.

Come to your own conclusion on this but what we want is someone to say yes my road angel went off on a mobile site. I must admit mine did with my road angel clasic but still to test the RA2

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
finger crossed that safety van is there tommorow near work then i can test it out. its typical that before i had my RA2 and snooper the safety van was parked up 3 times a week EVERY WEEK. Now since ive got the gizmos on it very rarly makes and apperance, yet it did today when im in works van and left my RA2 in the golf! Note to self, allways remember RA2!!!!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I've only ever encountered about 4 or 5 of these mobile camera vans, but on all occasions, RA nor B2 ever gave any alert..

Not sure if it's the cameras or the detectors not working...

The Roadangel laser detector did once say my bacon. It was late at night, i was bombing it down the Mall outside buckingham palace, and the Road angel gave me about 1/3 mile of warning.. Drove past the coppers with laser guns about 20 secs later. So it worked 100% that time

·
Registered
646 Posts
Echo Jason's (Fly) comments same for me. Got zapped my some coppers whilst overtaking a truck in Scotland at 23.45 dropped back to 60 as going past. Not much notice but the idoit later zoomed past me and off at next junction as he clocked off.

Went past a fair few vans in wales at the weekend and it didnt go off for them either.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is usually a max spread of 2 foot from your reg plate up... The closer the van, i suspect the less. I think it's academic anyway, unless you get a 'spray' off another car, you're done. 'Garage opener' is prob about the only thing that will help in these circumstances...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 23/09/2004 17:01:56

finger crossed that safety van is there tommorow near work then i can test it out. its typical that before i had my RA2 and snooper the safety van was parked up 3 times a week EVERY WEEK. Now since ive got the gizmos on it very rarly makes and apperance, yet it did today when im in works van and left my RA2 in the golf! Note to self, allways remember RA2!!!!

right, the van was there! so off i went to test the snooper sld902 and RA2 out. the snooper works, it alerted me right away but the ra2 picked nothing up.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 24/09/2004 00:10:21

The only problem with a garage door opener, is the fear that you'll get done for it activating and potentially stopping a copper from doing his 'ahem' job.

You mean they trigger automatically? [;)]

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote: posted by adam10780 on 23/09/2004 12:57:07

He's just come around a corner right by his own place of work where a mobile van was hidden just around the corners blind spot and he thinks he was doing about 48 in a 40 but the road angel didn't make a bl00dy sound [:O]

Anyone else had experience of the RA failing to work? or can I safety suggest that the man in the van was on a coffee break (fingers crossed)

You're assuming that the occupants of the van had the equipment turned on?

I've howled past a camrea van twice in Warwickshire, unintentionally going faster than 30, and not been caught. Luck I guess. [;)]

·
Registered
15 Posts
My RA has gone off in the past when going past a mobile van on a bridge.

Remember the alarm will only go off if you car is actively targeted by the operator. There is very little scatter with laser, unlike radar.

If you are 10%plus 2mph or above and it goes off, the ticket is already in the post!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts