Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a Sat Nav and have narrowed it down to these two. I already have an origin b2 but ideally only wanted one extra device in the car hence with the RA Nav comes into play.

I have used a TomTom 300 and have found it extremely easy to use and quick to program, anyone had expereinces of either or both of the above?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Have you looked at a Garmin product, specifically an 'i3' Full UK coverage far better than that offerred by TomTom for under ?100.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, on a screen the size of a postage stamp[;)]

TomTom 1 was my choice - excellent product good screen size, touch screen, quick to find satellites and not too much delay from real time so directions are very good (tells you which lane to go into on major motorway junctions etc)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yes, on a screen the size of a postage stamp[;)]

TomTom 1 was my choice - excellent product good screen size, touch screen, quick to find satellites and not too much delay from real time so directions are very good (tells you which lane to go into on major motorway junctions etc)
Try a C310 if your eyesight is failing then. I am not knocking TomTom they have great marketing, unfortunatly their mapping in the UK is terrible.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Try a C310 if your eyesight is failing then.
PMSL! I'm old - but not that bad!

I seem to remember you have some connection with the business? I'm not that bothered about the mapping as 99 times out of 100 I do know where I'm going and it appears to be correct on the journeys I've used it on so far - I bought it for the scamera database and the capability to work with continental maps and POI lists. The fact that the Garmin appeared that cheap 2 weeks after I'd bought the TT1 was a little annoying.......[:mad:]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Correct I do have a strong link with the industry (and we supply to TomTom as well for thier more expensive products) luckily we are regarded as by far the best map database supplier in the industry in every test. Garmin was well behind with functionality, but recently sorted themselves and their marketing machine out. Now you have the Scamera database (for free), Continental maps and POI lists and better mapping with Garmin all for less money. saying that I am sure you are very happy with the TomTom and if you always wait to get the better product you end up waiting forever as there is always something better around the corner. At some point you have to take the plunge.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ive got the TomTom 5 and its a very nice bit of kit! So simple to use, and kicks a$$ compared to my old medion one!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yes, I have one sitting on my desk.  IMO if you want camera/laser detection AND Navigation in one unit it is very good.  However for my money, I would just get a Garmin / TomTom and use the camera databases.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have one sitting on my desk. IMO if you want camera/laser detection AND Navigation in one unit it is very good. However for my money, I would just get a Garmin / TomTom and use the camera databases.
Does it work well there then?! (On your desk?!!) [:p]

Seriously, what is the navigation side of it like, is it easy to use compared to the TomTom?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
In my car I have a Garmin, likewise in the wife's car, I also have a TomTom on my Desk, Route 66 on my mobile and a variety of other test units in the safe behind me. They do work on my desk as well, as I have an external antenna out the window.

Anyway back to how good it is, it is not quite as intuative as the newer TomTom / Garmin units, but it is not exactly difficult. I doubt you will need to use the manual to get it going. It has better mapping that the TomTom but I am not sure how expensive or often the updates will be. Knowing RA, they will have a good model for updates and the price will not be horrendous.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Just out of interest and not trying to be argumentative - when you say better mapping - what do you mean? (it's the nerd in me coming out now....[:$]) higher resolution, more detail, more accurate.....??

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Just out of interest and not trying to be argumentative - when you say better mapping - what do you mean? (it's the nerd in me coming out now....[:$]) higher resolution, more detail, more accurate.....??
All of the above. NAVTEQ mapping has long been considered by almost everyone in the industry to be better. Up to 25% of the road network changes in some way every year. NAVTEQ actually has people (35 in the UK) out driving the roads and coding the databases. TELEATLAS generally get third party data sources and integrates them into the database, i.e. they buy the data and massage it. At the moment they have no full time staff in the UK checking the roads. NAVTEQ data is generally more expensive than TELEATLAS, but is far better quality. However as an end consumer you should be looking at how much the total product costs. NAVTEQ is the only company to offer full coverage (100% of the roads) in the the UK and Ireland. If you search google you will find plenty of comparisons between NAVTEQ and TELEATLAS. This forum is very much Teleatlas orientated even though most of you don't know it. VW MFD and MFD2 and TomTom are both Teleatlas users. 9 out of 10 Navigation Systems sold in the world use NAVTEQ data.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Righty ho, my folks want to get me something like this for my birtday in march. I want something with a speed camera database and i had decided on the RA navigator at ?400 from 20valve, is there something else i should consider?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you just want the speed camera database and navigation then you don't need a RA, almost any 'el Cheapo' system will do. The RA gives you the benefit of laser/radar detection.

Take a look at the Garmin i3, Garmin C310, Garmin Nuvi and all the TomTom range for systems without detection but with the camera database.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts