Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Road Angel 2

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  adam10780 
#1 ·
Well me dads away on holiday so I took the opportunity to try out his RA2. Currently I have the classic RA and I haven't any faults with it - does the job just fine - sits there nice and squat and then bleeps and flashes manically when it knows I'm potentially about to be robbed by some sort of law enforcement camera [}:)]

Anyway looks wise its far more modern and in keeping with the red and blue dials so that?s a great start. I also like the display and the options available to change more or less everything the unit has to offer and most settings are turned off by default[?] guess it would do your head in if it was set to alert you to everything from congestion zones to schools!

My biggest preference of the RA2 is the fact it does not have the additional laser device, as it has been built in this time. I've never had the opportunity to test the classic one but boy did the RA2 get tested yesterday morning! On my way to work and it went off like the clappers - screaming 'laser, laser' - sure enough - a good stones throw down the road was a man in a bright green jacket standing at the road side with a laser gun [}:)] needless to say my anger was replaced with the delight I could slowly crawl by at a nice 15mph knowing the RA2 has more than paid for itself [^]

I'll be honest when I brought my RA and on buying the RA2 for my Dad I was always optimistic of the laser device, whether in-built or not. The excellence and accuracy of the GPS/dataabase alone justifies its purchase - and now I have full confidence that the RA2 is a great and simple device and would highly recommend to anyone.

Having said that I know my dad had one encounter with a mobile VAN that it didn't go off too but neither did he get caught! I just hope I haven't (fingers crossed)

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think we're ever going to be able to sort out this little dilemma... It always seems to be pretty much a split argument to me. I personally don't have one, and never have had, which is why i'm not going to voice my opinion JUST yet... But i am definitely going to get one... It might not be the RA2 which i buy, but something of a similar spec, but who knows, maybe i will. However, the one thing i have noticed in this argument is the consistency. For every guy claiming it's fantastic and catches the cameras and vans everytime and how they couldn't live without it, there's another guy saying how much of a waste of time it is and how it's only fit for the bin.... What annoys me though is the thought of spending ?300-400 on one only to find that it doesn't do what it should do, and that the latter guys of the argument are infact right! The trouble is these days, it's more of a neccessity to own one of these devices than ever. I just hope that when i come to owning one, i can happily confirm that it does work effectively and you guys will certainly be the first to know! Sorry for that, Rant over! [^]

#5 ·
I've got one & its the dog bollox.

I got mine by taking my RA1 back to halfords & complianed on intermitant cutting out, & a said I need it every day, halfords muppet just swapped it [:D]

I also find the database for the RA2 more comprehensive, just dont have the school alert on, it will just go off ever 10 feet, bloody kids

#8 ·
RJH - Your right buddy there will never be an end to 'sort out this little dilemma' I think the trick is to compromise. You''ll never ever get a device that does everything or can guarantee 100% protection. Even if you did you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll get caught the day you decide not to plug it! The way I look at this is - Any of the better/more expensive devices i.e RA or Origin units will pay for them selves, especially when driving in unfamiliar locations but you always need to bare in mind they cannot be viewed as 100% protection or can guarantee you'll never get caught. Not only that but the traffic departments/police are always improving on speed detection devices that will supercede what todays in-car detectors can detect! There are about 1000 camera's erected a year across the UK and these are static so the GSP system will (as long as the database is kept up todate) be spot on and 100% accurate so like I said in my initial post the GPS/database functionality alone justifies its purchase.

I appreciate these devices are a lot of money but trust me once you've brought one and done a long trip somewhere your unfamiliar too - you'll be happy with which ever purchase you make.

Hope this helps [;)]

#11 ·
Dont know how you can say the Auto Gylm valet pack is rubbish - I've had two now and yes one was from my RA purchase too - the carry bags are very well made and have lasted me well - they contain more or less everything you need. Auto Gylm gets the thumbs up from me and I've been using it for past four years now.

#12 ·
Quote: posted by adam10780 on 06/12/2004 15:57:59

Dont know how you can say the Auto Gylm valet pack is rubbish - I've had two now and yes one was from my RA purchase too - the carry bags are very well made and have lasted me well - they contain more or less everything you need. Auto Gylm gets the thumbs up from me and I've been using it for past four years now.

The bags cool & a few things in it are useful, but the resin wax is pants, just gives off loads of dust when removing.....you havent yet tried Maguiars products I take it [^]

Once you have you'll think the same, honest [:D]

#14 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 06/12/2004 15:44:29

Quote: posted by col.mc on 06/12/2004 15:38:26

RA2's are in halfords for ?399 with a free bag of valeting stuff

Yea they did that last year when I got my RA1, AutoGrim pro-valet pack, I gave it to my dad, bloody rubbish

I gave it to my dad, bloody rubbish - That's nice ain't it ! [:D]

#15 ·
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 06/12/2004 17:11:53

can anyone tell me how much the subscription charges are for RA2 [?]. I believe there is a free period upon purchase, but what are the costs after that please.........

You get 6 months included and then its ?49 for 1 year, ?79 for 2 years or ?99 for life.

J.

#16 ·
Quote: posted by marriedblonde on 06/12/2004 17:23:50

Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 06/12/2004 17:11:53

can anyone tell me how much the subscription charges are for RA2 [?]. I believe there is a free period upon purchase, but what are the costs after that please.........

You get 6 months included and then its ?49 for 1 year, ?79 for 2 years or ?99 for life.

J.

i think the ra 1 is ?99 for life but my ra 2 box says ?99 for 3 years

#18 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 06/12/2004 16:37:05

Quote: posted by adam10780 on 06/12/2004 15:57:59

The bags cool & a few things in it are useful, but the resin wax is pants, just gives off loads of dust when removing.....you havent yet tried Maguiars products I take it [^]

Once you have you'll think the same, honest [:D]

I'll give it a shot matey [;)] what products do you recommend I use? It was only the weekend before last that I gave my motor a full valet and polish plus a coating of the extra gloss protection - a good number of hours worth too. She's still sparkling even with the crappy weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.