Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Stock TDI 15's here but painted black.

Used to run 17's, they looked nice but ruined the drive, god knows how you survive on 19's

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Used to run 17's, they looked nice but ruined the drive, god knows how you survive on 19's
WHAT!!! your kidding right? 17's are too harsh now are they? Sorry mate but that is funny you've gotta admit.

Why dont you buy a mondeo if you want comfort...[Y]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
had 19's but found the ride too harsh and unforgiving over bumps , got new wheels last week 18's , so much better imo and still looks as good too[Y]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

WHAT!!! your kidding right? 17's are too harsh now are they? Sorry mate but that is funny you've gotta admit.

What ?

Why is it funny ?

And no, they are not harsh, however they kill acceleration and fuel economy which isn't so good when your doing 30k+ a year is it now ?

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had 19's but found the ride too harsh and unforgiving over bumps , got new wheels last week 18's , so much better imo and still looks as good too[Y]
Yeah they can be abit harsh depending on tyre pressure and shocks your runnin, but its horses for courses - personally I like the touring car style of setup, only with slightly larger rims.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
well going from my stock 16" monty IIs to my 17" santas didn't make a blind bit of difference to my acceleration or fuel economy, slightly harder over bumps but negligible really. That said having been out in cars on 18"s they aren't bad either, wouldn't want to go any bigger on britains roads though, think 17"s are best all rounder for weight, tyre cost, comfort and looks.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The results are well interesting so far, I always thought there were alot more on 19's than 18's for some reason.

Might just be the forum members round my area? For example the first South Mimms meet I went to, (nearly) every one was on 19's.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What ?

Why is it funny ?

And no, they are not harsh, however they kill acceleration and fuel economy which isn't so good when your doing 30k+ a year is it now ?
On re-reading that I didnt mean it to sound quite that harsh [:$] lol

Everyone has their own opinion mate and your perfectly entitled to voice yours on this forum [:)]

·
Registered
842 Posts
got mine on 16's steelies at the moment, waiting for my BBS RXII to be refurbed

had 17's on my last mk4, but the isle of wight roads are terrible so more rubber around the wheels the better.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I went from steels to 18's and omg they made a huge difference on the economy and acceleration..i really regret it now.. so im looking for a nice set of monty 2's to stick on mine and il just shift the 18's after.. but i have to agree the 18's do look nice..

Sat[y]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure there were a few on here with dubs?? 20's that is, we all have dubs.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I went from 16" VW alloys to 19"s, and to be honest I hardly saw any difference...I was expecting it to affect it alot due to only being a 1.4!

The only time I've found my 19s to really be a pain is the tram lining on the motorways, which is right annoying! Although its normally only at night when you use the inside lanes more than the fast lane! Anyone else get that problem with 19s??

[:)]

·
Registered
728 Posts
I went from 15 to 16 and am now on TT Comp 17"s. I really want to go to 18s but for the extra weight and cost of tyres, + harsher ride i can't see the point anymore. (I can't afford a decent set of light weight wheels). + as so many people have already said the roads in this country are a disgrace, and i like the extra protection that bit more rubber gives me![Y]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Horses for courses as GT said, i've got 17s and find the ride bearable...just!, on our terrible roads. Wouldnt want to go any larger, but 18s really fill the arches nicely compared to 17s.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I went from 16" VW alloys to 19"s, and to be honest I hardly saw any difference...I was expecting it to affect it alot due to only being a 1.4!

The only time I've found my 19s to really be a pain is the tram lining on the motorways, which is right annoying! Although its normally only at night when you use the inside lanes more than the fast lane! Anyone else get that problem with 19s??

[:)]
That explains that, i thought ud drank too many Ribena`s [:p]

You dont want to know about Bora`s so i wont vote, but i have 16`s atm, getting 18`s after winter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts