Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Decided to go for 17" alloys and 30mm drop (Eibach springs). Compromised on the size of the wheels and the drop as I was concerned about ride quality.

Anyway been driving the golf for a few months. Handling is now so much better although I feel more of the road. Something I could live with

My mate was sitting at the back and he wasn't impressed with the ride quality . (went over some rough roads) ((thud,)). I did feel it but he felt it more

Now is this due to the

Bushes at the rear

Or is it the weight issues . Engine is at the front so keep the car down and the fact that the golf is light at the back therefore the rear responds more

I am no mechanic so I would appreciate your help

Is there anything i can do to get some comfort back

thanks

ps nothing to do with this but got my car superchipped [:D]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cue Sonny [:p]
Cheers for that [:p]

Don't know much about Sonny

Apart from the fact that if you left Sonny with standard golf, you wouldn't find it looking the same the next day[;)]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Cue Sonny [:p]
Thought my ears were burning, I've dropped my car 50mm and even the
rough roads aren't that bad and the passengers never complain, but they
complain when I go over speed bumps at 25 mph when there head go bump
off the roof. lol.

Sonny

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sounds like your rear axel bushes might be shot, mine is lowered 30mm on 17's and it is fine, the only other thing it could  be is if your shcks are knackerd.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sounds like your rear axel bushes might be shot, mine is lowered 30mm on 17's and it is fine, the only other thing it could be is if your shcks are knackerd.
Totally agree, mine's running the same setup and regularly have 2 in the back with no complaints or thuds.

How many miles has it done? only got 25k on mine.

R

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dont want to crash the thread but ive got 17s and im looking at dropping by 40 is there going to be a massive amount of difference between a 30mm and a 40mm drop

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like your rear axel bushes might be shot, mine is lowered 30mm on 17's and it is fine, the only other thing it could be is if your shcks are knackerd.
Totally agree, mine's running the same setup and regularly have 2 in the back with no complaints or thuds.

How many miles has it done? only got 25k on mine.

R
Redbeard done 49k

Mechanic did mention that they might need replacing but not yet , (about six months ago)

with the thuds I think it it time [:cool:]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont want to crash the thread but ive got 17s and im looking at dropping by 40 is there going to be a massive amount of difference between a 30mm and a 40mm drop
Awesome-o

my golf has been fine with 30mm drop although it can a issue with the very high point sharp speed humps that are used at certain shopping centres. I have mudflaps and they touch

Also when you go for 30mm, once they set it goes slightly more . Therefore if you went for 40, it would also go lower after a while

Smithjoe

thanks for comments [:D]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im running 17s with 30mm eibach springs, and the ride is great in comparisson to what it was before. (sea sick [+o(]) lol. Ive not had any complaints - not even from my dad whos the biggest critic of my modifying madness.[:p]

Sounds like you need new shocks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im running 17s with 30mm eibach springs, and the ride is great in comparisson to what it was before. (sea sick [+o(]) lol. Ive not had any complaints - not even from my dad whos the biggest critic of my modifying madness.[:p]

Sounds like you need new shocks!
Hi [:)]

How can I tell if it is the shocks or the bushes?

if it is the shocks do you i just get some new standard shocks

cheers[:D]

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think it sounds like the bushes as normally when the shocks have gone the ride becomes very bouncy, is it like this?

A decent garage should be able to look at the axel bushes when its on the ramps to see how bad they are.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it sounds like the bushes as normally when the shocks have gone the ride becomes very bouncy, is it like this?

A decent garage should be able to look at the axel bushes when its on the ramps to see how bad they are.
Smithjoe

first of all thanks for your time and effort [Y]

I am hoping that it is the bushes (cheaper) . I think it will be as the ride is not bouncy

Gonna go for the standard bushes (for comfort reasons). Thought about the powerflex bushes but I think they stiffen the ride up more (hopefully someone will correct me if i am wrong on this)

·
Registered
942 Posts

Smithjoe

first of all thanks for your time and effort [Y]

I am hoping that it is the bushes (cheaper) . I think it will be as the ride is not bouncy

Gonna go for the standard bushes (for comfort reasons). Thought about the powerflex bushes but I think they stiffen the ride up more (hopefully someone will correct me if i am wrong on this)
Your welcome mate, i had new rear axel bushes fitted about 6 months ago, the ride difference was amazing.[8-|]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi [:)]

Just for info

Mechanic checked the golf

Its the bushes , will be getting this done on Wednesday with the service. An easy way to check if it is the shocks is by pushing down the rear of the car and see if it bounces.

I did mention to the mechanic about fitting Bilstein shocks . He suggested that I see how the car feels after new bushes.

Funny though phoned around in regards to fitting rear bushes

Mechanic 164

VW Bradford ?418

VW Halifax 137

i think this issue has been mentioned by another post

Going with the local mechanic as he is walking distance

1 - 20 of 20 Posts