Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
ive got 18x8 et 35 aez deep dish style rims on my 1.6se. hopefully ill finally be lowering it on coilovers.
looking to lower it 40mm and get 5mm spacers for the front,15mm for the rear.

there was a post that had a easy way to calculate what spacers u need for what offset but the search function dont seem to be working and i cnt find it anymre!

any advice guys?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Put the wheels on and see how it looks first. 8" wide rim with ET35 is already going to fill the arches quite nicely especially when you lower it.

EDIT: Duh... read before replying... OK you already got the wheels on. Lower it and see how it looks. One thing at a time.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
how do you could go for another 5mm front and 5 rear at least, I am running 18x8.5 on a et 35 with 15mm rear and 10mm front and no massive problems and they fill the arches perfectly IMO 

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was planning to lower it first and then put the spacers on. the thing
is, wat if after i put the spacers on i need to raise the height up? im
planing to get koni ride height and damping adjustable coilovers, but
im not sure if this means i can adjust both front and rear myself
wivout having to take them off the car?

i know they're called ride height adjustable and i'd be buing the ones
which say they are adjustable on front and rear, but im not sure if
that means adjustable on the car?

i understand 5mm spacers dont come hubcentric, would this cause any problems?

i guess i could go for 10mm front and 15mm rear, sounds gud to me walrus!

i really want the arches filled perfectly! its something compulsory, in
my opinion, for a well styled mk4 Golf and any car in general!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
im getting 15mm on the rear only, i have 18s with 225s (is 225s 8 or 8.5 inch)

anybody with any pics of thier spacers post them up with a spec please :p

thanks

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Shoosh your noise Shiumming [;)]

5mm will be fine you should have plenty of collar left on the hub to fit the wheels on, I am running 10mm non - hubcentric spacers on the front and have no problems apart from them being a bit difficult to get on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im running 18x8 on 225/40 tyres
id rather be safe n get hubcentric but i understand that for 5mm spacers its not necessary.

if i was to go 10mm hubcentric fronts and 15mm hubcentric rears 40mm lowered allround would there be any probs? (rubbing, full-lock probs etc)

or wat about norm 5mm fronts and 15mm hubcentric rears 40mm lowered?

or 10mm hubcentric front and 20mm hubcentric rear on 40mm lowered?

i wanted to lower it 45-50mm but im assuming if i use correct spacers i wont ave to lower as much to achieve the same affect to fill the arches well? (taking into consideration i live in london and the road i live on has speed bumps! )

also not forgetting once i change my bumpers/valences(havent decided wat to go for yet) i dont want to scrape anything!

lol, im not asking anyone to make the decisions for me, just want opinions on the diff set-ups!

Cheers B

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Put the spacers on first as that will give you an idea of how close the rims and tyres will be, bear in mind the car above is on 7.5inch rims not 8 but it should not make to much difference. If you are putting lowering springs only on then be carefull as they can be under damped and bottom out when pushing on.

Good luck and post some piccies when done [:D]

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
just read you have coilovers so ignore my comment regarding damping. unless they dont have adjustable damping then do ! I think that makes sense. 

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
visited big boys toys last night, had a gud gander. i think im going to
go with the KW variant 2, as they work out cheaper then the
adjustable Koni's. ?800.

any ideas on where i could get some bargain H&R hubcentric spacers from?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump*******************

Im not sure which coilovers to go for!

i know this is asked time and time again, but i just cant come up with a definate answer

i want to be able to drop atleast 40mm and possibly more. not sure that i need adjustable damping???

i want to be able to lower the car and not negatively affect the ride quality while still making the handling better. i do plan to fit front and rear ARBs aswell as s3 strut braces, i know they'll make the handling better. i also might fit poly bushes all round.

the thing is, im not sure whether to go for FK highsports or the Konigsports or whether its worth paying the extra for Koni ride and damping adjustables.also im not sure whether its that important to have stainless steel components to avoid corrosion problems.

i could save up and stretch my budget but do i really need to? its a 1.6 16v, so im not about to take it on any track, i just want to lower it and get it to sit right while sorting out the doggish handling!! Which set-up can anyone recommend i go for??

FK Golf 4 Highsport Coilover Kit?349
FK Golf 4 Konigsport Coilover Kit?499.99
FK Golf 4 Silverline Coilover Kit?499.99
FK Golf 4 Silverline X Coilover Kit?649.99

?680 for Koni ride+damper adjustables fitted

?700 for KW variant I fitted

?800 for KW variant II fitted

Bearing in mind KW coilovers allow fittment of R32/S3 ARBs which are cheaper then Eibach kits which id have to use on the other brands.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh im going mad!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If you're not tracking it then KW V1, or if you want to save money FK Highsports, leave the front ARB and fit a H&R 22mm rear bar to make it more neutral. R32/S3 ARBs won't fit, at least the rear bars won't, those are 4WD which is different at the rear.

As for stainless vs non-stainless, besides the obvious benefits of stainless there are of course some disadvantages, have a read of this article, which is very interesting general reading on aftermarket suspension:

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/printer_170.html

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers for the reply shiuming,

im pretty much convinced then that i dont need stainless steel bodied coilovers.

KW V1 seem to be the best option but are they really better then the Koni height and damper adjustables which are cheaper?

hows the ride on highsports? is it worth the extra money for the konigsports?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hub-centric i think basically means the spacers are kind of lipped with
an edge which fit concentrically to the hub.therefore the hub and
spacer become one piece and the bolts only have to restrict horizontal
movement. otherwise with non hub-centric spacers u can get vibration!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Heres one of my rears. Bear in mind that i had 2 people in the rear. Suspension at the mo is only 30mm springs. This pic has 15mm on the rears by the way.

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 22 Posts