Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used 5. I would get another dealer one but my original dealer went bust so I can't get one that matches my rear window dealer sticker on my number plate surrounds.

Anyway this Richbrook one I've got has real carbon fibre on the back [:D][Y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a related note why can't the people who fill in and stamp your tax disc write neatly and put the stamp the right way up and properly aligned with the circular space provided...

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Order it online next year mate! Typed out perfectly.  It hadnt crossed my mind till you mentioned it though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I binned mine in the end. After loosing the alan key, 2 screws and nearly smashing my windscreen with fury.

Trusty old ?1.50 plastic job does the trick!

As well as the post office needing to write it clearly, they also need to make the perfereated (*sp) holes a bit better!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Rather than mounting mine on the glass, I put it on the dash. Think it looks better like that, can be seen clearly and actually fits properly with out half of it hanging of due to the curvature of the glass.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends where you stick it. Mine goes right here, without using the spacers, and when I change the disc, I mark the position outside using masking tape [Y]

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Why do you need to mark outside with masking tape??

Sounds like you lot are making a mountain out of a molehill tbh! And they never tear my tax disk out for me... maybe they're lazy at my PO but means it comes out straight when I do it myself! (says she, tempting fate with having to get a new one tomorrow morning! [:p]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To mark the exact position so I can put it back there the same - anywhere else and the glass curvature makes things difficult.

Actually come to think of it I didn't use masking tape, I used Post-It Notes - must have looked really weird driving to work like that because I didn't have time to stick it on properly before my car went in for a service [:|]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That would be ohhh too easy.

Shiu likes to make things a little more interesting cat.

I got rid of mine, just have one of those magnetic things from Halfrauds.

?2.50 ya can't be looking!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
And they never tear my tax disk out for me... maybe they're lazy at my PO but means it comes out straight when I do it myself! (says she, tempting fate with having to get a new one tomorrow morning! [:p]
Didn't he mean stamping the tax disc, not ripping it out of the square bit of paper?? I'ev never understood how so many people can botch that up.

As for those mental tax disc holders, they're too much jip. As GTIF said up above... Dealer one, much simpler, and easy to adjust if you don't get it straight the first time [;)]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably stupid question, but.......... why didn't you just unscrew the back?
Cos this is the old style version with 5 screws at the back, and 5 screws at the front [:|]

They do a new one that twists off from the back, but not sure if they do it in that style with real carbon fibre bit at the back like mine? [:p]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Same here, and I've changed the tax discs several times without ever having to pry it off the window

Am I going to have to take pics tomorrow? [:p]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Same here, and I've changed the tax discs several times without ever having to pry it off the window

LOL a photographic HowTo *FOR* Shiuming?? Classic [:D]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hang on, are we talking the same thing here... Mine has screws at the front as well, and there's no way you can take the back off without undoing the front screws as well [:S]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes there are screws on the front of the 'old' style ones, and yes they can be unscrewed if neccesary, but there is no need to, as the whole purpose of the design, is that you just remove the screws and cover at the rear to replace the tax disc.

From the looks of the pic, shiuming has placed it too far down in the windscreen in order to to able to use the allen key to undo the lower rear screws anyway. I remember doing this on my bora, and only realising when I need to change the disk. Unfortunately for convenience, it needs to be stuck higher up the windscreen ala Cat's ^^^^.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts