Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced the timing belt and water pump etc. at 203800 miles on my beloved 20 year old Golf GT TDI, so all is well with the world. However I am bloody exhausted, back is hurting and I want to learn from this for the next time, should there hopefully be one. My main gripe is with the side engine bracket - I remember the first time I did the belt, I tried to assemble everything around the bracket without removing it since it seemed nigh on impossible. This time however, after removing belt and tensioner etc., I lowered the engine right down and it just fell out. Reassembly is not so easy! I tried reinserting it from below but that was a non-starter since the central cover mount spigot is blocking the way. So I tried jacking the engine up and tried from above to the point where the EGR was hard up against the bulkhead and there was still barely room. I forced the bracket with all my strength against the heatshield in the corner and metal pipes and pulling the engine forward to try to get it past the plastic timing belt cover and with brute strength I eventually succeeded. However there has GOT to be an easier way!?! Is it a big job to remove the last part of the timing cover which is mounted on the side of the aluminium block and appears to be underneath the cam pulley which would also therefore require removal? Should I also remove the EGR if this would help? I saw mentioned on another forum about possibly removing the bracket on the opposite side so that the engine can be moved over for a bit of extra room? Annoyingly just about every video I have watched skips over this, or demonstrates with a stand alone engine - not helpful!!! Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I feel your pain! Mine’s done 196000 miles now and so I have this job coming up shortly also. Can’t remember how I got it done before, but yes I’m wondering whether undoing/removing all the mounts is the way to go…

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Remove the mount and you'll notice how quick and easy changing the belt actually is... as long as you have the lot locked in place yoi can't go wrong.

That said there is an online mk4 workshop manual available... the link to it I have posted up on the forum a few times, so I suggest you find it and save it as a favorite. Or get yourself the electronic workshop manual called elsawin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but I found removing it the easy bit - it is reassembling it I just couldn't find an easy way to get the bracket (not the mount) back in place after doing the belt/ tensioner/waterpump/ idler pulley. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel your pain! Mine’s done 196000 miles now and so I have this job coming up shortly also. Can’t remember how I got it done before, but yes I’m wondering whether undoing/removing all the mounts is the way to go…
Is yours also ASZ? I am trying to work out the best way of doing it before I forget and while it is fresh in my head and make some notes for the next time... taking it all apart and putting the new belt and parts on is the easy bit. It is the flipping bracket which is the ball-ache. After removing the covers and pulleys etc. the bracket just falls out when you lower the engine. However I know from the first time that if you try and assemble the belt etc., around the bracket then you are also letting yourself in for a serious backache. Next time I would try to see if there is a way to remove the last part of the plastic cover. I'll research and try to let you know - or if you do it and find a way, I'm all ears!!!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
If you read the manual I directed you to, you'll find how to remove it and put it back on as I stated before... i can't be arsed to put the link up again. And yes it shows how to remove the bracket and the cover, if it didn't i wouldn't direct you to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - that reply was actually meant for @Rgm36. I've looked literally everywhere and people either say to jack the engine up as far as possible and manoeuvre it in, or assemble everything around it, or simply "remove bracket". Either way it is a &*%£$"£. I can't be bothered either spending time to look for any more instructions which don't tell me anything useful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts