Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a golf mk4 gt tdi 130bhp standard not chipped, and i am slightly worried about my rev range on the car.

When doing 80mph, my rev range in 6th gear is 2,200 rpm, when accerating form there the revs speed up quicker, is this normal.

I remember before doing 80mph before two months back and my revs were 2,000 rpm, also when switching off the car engine i get a air noise from the engine air filter, bretaher pipe, as the airs going back to the air filter.

Just would like to know hwat the problem could be, also can someone please state on there golf gt tdi 130, what revs they have on 70 to 80 mph.

Kind regards,

Trip.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You must have been confused with your readings last time. Gear ratios never change. At 70mph it should be around 2000RPM which is perfect for the turbo boosting up quickly which is why it accelerates well around there.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As above - you either have a slipping clutch (if your observations have been while the engine is under no load ignore this suggestion) or you are very mistaken, as cogs/gears have no means of being adjusted/altered without rebuilding the box with different ratios.

Tom

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right, ok so all seems fine then.

I must admit from time to time my first gear sometimes slips, not all the time, but what about the noise from the breather box, whilst air in entering the air filter when switching the engine off.

I swear my revs were less before, or i might of been mistaken.

I was thinking when doing 80mph, the revs are at 2,200 rpm, then 85 mph 2,400 rpm, just was thinking thats is not stressing the turbo is it becasue its on boost mode.

·
Registered
590 Posts
right, ok so all seems fine then.

I must admit from time to time my first gear sometimes slips, not all the time, but what about the noise from the breather box, whilst air in entering the air filter when switching the engine off.

I swear my revs were less before, or i might of been mistaken.

I was thinking when doing 80mph, the revs are at 2,200 rpm, then 85 mph 2,400 rpm, just was thinking thats is not stressing the turbo is it becasue its on boost mode.
In your best Mr T voice 'stop talking jibber jabber and get some nuts!'

All joking aside, if we can rule out a slipping clutch (because your comparison between engine revs and mph is taken while at a constant speed - surely!?) it is physically impossible (and i mean that!) for your revs to have changed, on boost, 'boost mode' or whatever.

I would also suggest (but i may be wrong) that this noise has always been there, and its a bit of paranoia - honestly, it happens to all of us at some point, but if unsure cheak all the pipes under the bonnet, and even go as far as getting a scan.

Tom

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for ur help and advice, so the revs are nothing to worry about, might have to check the pipes under the bonnet, hope its not an intercooler pipe, pulls very well.

I must admit, i did change the air filter on the car, does pull better, but did not replace with the genuine vw one, i did notice the genuine one is less thicker than the patterned part one, was a tight fit to place, took me 20 minutes to place in the air box, i did question the parts shop where i purschased it from, he siad thats the one for a gold mk4.

Might just buy a genuine filter, is less thicker and will be a better fit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Revs - no, dont worry, if it 'pulls hard' you clutch sounds fine, and i dont think i need to through a snickers at you regarding revs/mph again :)

By the sounds of it the noise could well be due to the fact your filter isn't fitting flush.

Tom

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in high gears its fine, i must admit the engine shakes when idel when still for some time, when i depress the clutch the engine stops shaking.

In high gears it seems fine, i have a problem in first gear for some reason only from time to time, its not always the issue.

I must admit last year when it snowed, my brakes had failed plus the clutch was slipping badly, when i had the brakes bleed the clutch seemed better, but not perfect, i was told by a mechnic the clutch and brakes run off the same servo.

·
Registered
590 Posts
in high gears its fine, i must admit the engine shakes when idel when still for some time, when i depress the clutch the engine stops shaking.

In high gears it seems fine, i have a problem in first gear for some reason only from time to time, its not always the issue.

I must admit last year when it snowed, my brakes had failed plus the clutch was slipping badly, when i had the brakes bleed the clutch seemed better, but not perfect, i was told by a mechnic the clutch and brakes run off the same servo.
Engine shake sounds like your DMF is worn - its that is the case you'd be mad not to get your clutch done at the same time...

Tom

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
right, so the clutch is gone then, but the car pulls strong, and i mean it does take off.

I took my car to amd last year, they test drove and said it is chipped, but i have not chipped the car

·
Registered
590 Posts
Dont jump to conclusions just yet - particularly if your car accelerated hard still.

Does the vibration (even a noise too?) go when you dip the clutch? I had a rattle on shut-down which was also due to the worn DMF, and could be 'removed' by dipping the clutch...

Tom

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when i press the clutch down, the noise is gone, is shakes when idel, stood still, when i rev the engine on stand still its fine, but the nosie comes back.

Could it be the fuel filter by any chance, by the way if it is the dmf how much am i looking at.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts