Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The Revs On my Golf 1.6 S 16V seem to be idoling at 600 rpm when it is suppose to idol at 800 rpm.~It seems to drive fine but some time when stopping at a junction the revs go mad between the 600, and 800 mark. You can hear the engine reving its self up to prevent itself from staling. i really need help on sorting this problem out, The other day i have had the car put up on to the diagnostic computer and the fault codes suggested that the heated oxygen sensor had gone. They had then replaced it but the revs still idol low. The thruttle body is clean so there is no problem with that, and the o2 sensor had been replaced....If any one has any ideas and suggestions please let me know....Any thing will be good..

Thanks,

Turbomatic

·
Registered
101 Posts
mate that sounds like the same problem i have but mine is a 1.6
SE...yesterday as i pulled up to a junction...diped the clutch and the
car just died. It did start but needed constand reving to keep it
started...im taking it to a garage tonight...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hummmmm.... Its dodgey coz one day its gonna die and i wont be able to start it back up. The Garage will probably say it is the heated oxygen sensor or a wiring short! if you seem to find out what was wrong with it let me know so i can try fix mine, cheers mate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
no wories mate ill let you know either way. The garage owner is a mate
of a mate and he has VAG-COM so ill see if that pics up anything. The
idiot i bought the car off used to drive around on reserve and so i was
woried all the gunck at the botom of the tank had been sucked up into
the injectors[:O]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah they put mine on a comp too but it didnt solve the problem so make sure ur carefull about it! But as its a mate's mate then it should be cool. Im just a bit worried coz it seems to be loosing power on acceleration. :([:S][:)]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah they put mine on a comp too but it didnt solve the problem so make sure ur carefull about it! But as its a mate's mate then it should be cool. Im just a bit worried coz it seems to be loosing power on acceleration. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
mate have a look at my topic i think its two under this one in the
menu. Really helpful bunch of people on this site [:D] the recomend
using some carb cleaner on the throtel body...give it a go ill mention
it to the garage tonight.

Mo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You really had my hopes up there for a second, sadly the garage told me the throtle body was sparkling :( i know it sounds stupid but i wish it wasnt (wish it was filthy) that way it could be a step closer to solving the problem, cheers any way mate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dam sorry mate...back to the drawing board ay?have you had the ideling
checked to see where its set? if too low the car will jump revs to stop
itself staling...i think

Mo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i asked the mechanic if it is possible to set the revs a bit higher....His reply was its not the same as the old days now, the revs are affected by other car components and we can't directly set the revs higher? they had an answer for everything, the thing is they tol me it wa a wiring short, but the other garage said it was the o2 sensor so as that was the cheapest solution i had that changed, now im wishing i had it checked AGAIN for a wiring short.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi mate yea i was jus gna let u know that the machanic said one of the pipes had slit ill ask him tomorrow what pipe it was and let you know.

Mo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright mate nice one, at the moment my cars covere with warrenty so i want to get it fixed while it is still coveed....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright mo, cheers for the update........i might have to suggest that to the mechanic.....you know when you drove your car did u feel like it was lacking in power? i hope my car wont die soon i only just got it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey am having the same problem with my 1.8t its doing my head in big time!!!!!!! it only happens some times its sounds like it back fireing as well, i think its got a cold! nothing comes up when its on the computer realy strugling!!! Its just been serviced and am getting a new cam belt and water pump fitted next week ive only done 37000 miles costing me a fortune [:(]

paul

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mate to me that sounds like the spark plugs, distributor etc...on my old car i had the engine steam cleaned and after that it was backfiring and all sorts try spraying some WD40 on the plugs distrubutor and the srarter....might help...worth a try.....

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Hey am having the same problem with my
1.8t its doing my head in big time!!!!!!! it only happens some
times its sounds like it back fireing as well, i think its
got a cold! nothing comes up when its on the computer realy
strugling!!! Its just been serviced and am getting a new cam belt
and water pump fitted next week ive only done 37000 miles costing me a
fortune [:(]

paul
Check your throttle body as well, could need a clean. I had a similar