Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - quick question: I have a revo'd 1.8t, and have been thinking about either 1) part-exchanging it for an r32, or 2) spending a little more on perfecting my existing 1.8t set-up. Given that there is a quite a big price difference, do the experts here think there would be much difference in how much fun they are to drive between a 1.8t with revo, coilovers, arb's (front and rear) and brembos, and a stock R32? The r32 looks pretty, but I'm not sure if it's 9k prettier, if you see what I mean. Any views?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
In short the R32 is a much better car for fun and enjoyment but if you sort the suspension, add some larger wheels and maybe a few cosmetic additions you'll have a really really fun and quick car.

It all depends if you have the money. If i had it itd be an R32 every time.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
With all the mods you have stated your 1.8T will pretty much match an R32 in a line, not sure about around the corners, but I love the R32....and no modded 1.8T can give you that "R factor" if you understand what i mean.

Suppose it's down to the R's looks and the noise and that it makes....is it worth 9k extra???? only you know that mate.

[;)]

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
I love my R32 and I loved my stock 1.8T they were both lovely cars. A real tricked up 1.8T will in most cases stay with and even get the better of an R where traction isn't an issue. I suppose it comes down to if you want an R32 that badly to spend the extra if not 1.8T is your route..

hth

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think mine will keep with most R's out there, but the general concensus is that the R is a truly special car.

Given a choice, Id take the R.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
well, when we were at Bruntingthorpe earlier this year, Tabs in his APR'd +Milltek'd R32 absolutely wasted everything else, this was in the wet tho...Wilko was about the nearest I think but only top end... nothing could match Tabs's awesome starts and five point something 0-60...

So, in the hands of a good driver, even a well sorted 1.8T aint no match for a 'dirty too'...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Having driven a low of "low key" 1.8T Golf (and a 150PD diesel) in an attempt to find a less blatant thief magnet, I can confirm that although the FWD cars are rapid, they are bobbins compared to an R32.

I'mm getting a 1.8T Audi Avant sport until I can find a garage, then I will be looking at something similar or maybe even the same.They are THAT good.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Quote: posted by benp on 29/12/2004 19:37:58

cheers all - kind of expected that response ;-) Just can't decide......

How about you save some money and get an S3?

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Quote: posted by Stewart on 29/12/2004 19:44:08

well, when we were at Bruntingthorpe earlier this year, Tabs in his APR'd +Milltek'd R32 absolutely wasted everything else, this was in the wet tho...Wilko was about the nearest I think but only top end... nothing could match Tabs's awesome starts and five point something 0-60...

So, in the hands of a good driver, even a well sorted 1.8T aint no match for a 'dirty too'...

I still weed on two 300Hp+ r32s in the wet. Even 0-60, beat tabs on everything but 0-60, and this was with 250hp, a fecked clutch, and no diff in the peeing rain. Outhandled Tabs r32 on standard suspension around his favourite hooning roads a few weeks before.

R32 on coilovers starts to cut the mustard, well just about.[:D]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Aye a 1.8T in the right hands is a formidable weapon, but the R will take you to those same places with, dare I say it, a bit more panache? Given the choice now, I'd take the best of both worlds and go with an S3 - its got the basis for to be a decent runner.

John I dare ya' to tackle those same roads with me behind the wheel of the Jalopy - of course you'll have to run in limp mode and do it reverse gear but I'll give you a head start [:D]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Quote: posted by Tabs on 29/12/2004 22:53:12

Aye a 1.8T in the right hands is a formidable weapon, but the R will take you to those same places with, dare I say it, a bit more panache? Given the choice now, I'd take the best of both worlds and go with an S3 - its got the basis for to be a decent runner.

John I dare ya' to tackle those same roads with me behind the wheel of the Jalopy - of course you'll have to run in limp mode and do it reverse gear but I'll give you a head start [:D]

[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote: posted by vedhead on 29/12/2004 20:47:22

thats the route i am gonna go down[:D] soon

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
horses for courses, a modded up 1.8t is gonna be as much fun as the R in the dry but when it's wet I think the R comes into it's own.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are defining "fun" as the enjoyment in the driving dynamics of the car then the R32 would be the clear choice. You would need to mod your 1.8T considerably to get even close.

R32 compared to an S3 using the same criteria, again the R32 is the obvious choice. Generally the S3 like the S4 is anodyne at the helm and really does not reward spirited driving like the R32 (which is by no means perfect), BUT price (your budget) is always a consideration that changes what you eventually s elect.

Lets us know what you eventually s elect though[;)]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also and a BIG also - when you come to eventually sell the car (God Forbid [:O]) you will lose a *lot* more money on a modded 1.8T than a standard R32.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Without sounding biased, I would consider an S3, I love the R32 and think it is the absolute bees knees, but you get a more/easier to tweak engine with the S3 and the same four wheel drive setup as R32. If only VW consider making an turbo'd V6 as the next generation R32[??]

·
Registered
614 Posts
fwd cars are rapid if you can put the power down Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 29/12/2004 20:39:03

Having driven a low of "low key" 1.8T Golf (and a 150PD diesel) in an attempt to find a less blatant thief magnet, I can confirm that although the FWD cars are rapid, they are bobbins compared to an R32.

I'mm getting a 1.8T Audi Avant sport until I can find a garage, then I will be looking at something similar or maybe even the same.They are THAT good.

·
Registered
614 Posts
if i can bite the bullet and sell mine Quote: posted by ianhg on 30/12/2004 00:11:10

Quote: posted by vedhead on 29/12/2004 20:47:22

thats the route i am gonna go down[:D] soon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts