Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure which one to go for,is there a revo dealer in hampshire so i can try it out ???

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Your engine is an AGU (Non DBW) so I would say you're better off with Upsolute. You'll get approx 195 Bhp with Upsolute and maybe 205bhp with Revo. So I would say that for the extra ?200 Revo isn't worth it. It's only on DBW engines that Revo gives worthwile gains over Upsolute.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Just to clarify, is the Upsolute a chip? The main reason I took the Revo route was because i had my ECU remapped as supposed to a "chip".

·
Registered
424 Posts
Upsolute do a chip version, highly recommended. They also do a S.P.D which IIRC cost's a little more than the chip.

Why are you opposed to the chip???????????

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
REVO, REVO, REVO

Just had mine roling roaded at over 200bhp, very happy with that result. Also the revo software can be set backm to standard when you come to sell it. A new chip will make the value of your car drop

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
REVO are the only tuner that i know of that can 'flash' the ECU on an AGU engine. Every other tuner has to remove it and solder is as far as i'm aware.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by markie on 27/11/2004 11:54:15

Im not sure which one to go for,is there a revo dealer in hampshire so i can try it out ???

dude,

speak to Gti_Jazz_Blue from the forum here, he's the hampshire Revo dealer and is based at Junction 9 of the m27

He's listed on the revo web site - vag-power

J.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote: posted by zekegti on 27/11/2004 17:11:34

Also the revo software can be set backm to standard when you come to sell it. A new chip will make the value of your car drop

Ummmm explain [:D] Simon Coe quoted me a very reasonable price for chip removal if I ever sell my beloved mota - once removed just dont mention it to the next buyer = no value lost [^]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Quote: posted by squky clean on 27/11/2004 16:19:34

Why are you opposed to the chip???????????

Just my personal preference, I don't really like the idea of sticking another chip onto the ECU, also I want to keep most of my mods reversible so when i come to see up it's easy to standardise it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help chaps,im going to go to regal autosport in southampton for my free 5 hour trial of the revo software as i like the idea of not having to remove the ecu,but in the end it night come down to cost.How much is the upsolute ??

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think Carlos had to have his ECU removed on his NonDBW 1.8T when he had Revo installed but IIRC there was no soldering or chips added.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
IIRC you can't get the revo trial on an AGU as there isn't enough memory to hold both maps. Upsolute is about ?310.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
markie, did you tell Regal Autosport that your engine was an AGU, I'm certain they can't do a 5 hour trial for the reason that PJ stated.

To flash the ECU James (@ JBS) had to remove it as this is the only way to do it, I think this is the also to do with the memory issue.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can't have a trial on an AGU I'm afraid. On an AGU like yours (and mine as it happens) we plug directly into the ECU to load the Revo code, usually we remove it from the car and do it on the bench.

I could take you for a spin in my Revo'd AGU which will give you an idea of the feel of the code. At sale time you can either just have the code switched off and left in the Ecu or we can flash it back to stock.

Chip changing in the ECU does possibly increase the risk of an ECU failure due to contact or soldering issues. Although to be fair and balanced, I haven't heard any negative feedback from anyone that has had an upsolute chip fitted.

As hey say you pays your money and makes your choice [^]

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After thinking it over for i while i still haven't made up my mind.

Looking at the torque figures the revo produces a bit more,is this noticeable ? has anyone actually driven both and can u tell the difference?Also does the upsolute work fine in all weather conditions as the revo boys don't think it will.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
To clarify things for you. You cannot have the 5hour trail on an AGU (non-dbw) 1.8T. The ECU also has to be removed from the car and then the program downloaded that way. REVO charge ?399+vat for AGU engines and should give between 197-205bhp.

The upsolute requires ECU removal and a chip soldered into place. Simon Coe @ CCCTech charges ?305 incl VAT and he comes to you. The Upsolute chip will give between 192-197 bhp.

The Upsolute is the best chip in my opinion, unless you want to be confused more and go for a custom remap from JabbaSports for ?475 (which includes before and after rolling road session).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts