Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read an old report in 'The Golf' mag where they test a few top tuners TDI's. Their comment on the Revo software was 'a little harsh' when tested on a Pd 150.

Is the Revo remap lacking a little refinement as this article suggests? It has put me off a bit, and am now looking at AMD or similar to do the work. Unfortunatly AMD's custom remap is not removable for when car visits dealer. The Revo was a better option here. (Even if expensive ?582 all in, plus ?150+vat for SPS1??? This is ?758 WOW is it worth all that)

Can anyone assure me otherwise?

P.S.Not trying to put Revo down here, just looking for some feedback on it's value for money compared with others.

Thanks,

Chris.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Don't think it's harsh personally. Have driven a Superchips remapped 150PD today and there was very little difference between them.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Would defo be interested to here more peoples comments as im due to get the PD150 mapped at JBS on the 5th....

What figures does the superchip and Upsolute offer? and are they drivable...?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok just had a browse and for the leon cupra 150 superchips offer a 30 hp gain, upsolute say a 32 bhp gain and revo 40 bhp.

However upsolute quote 313 lb/ft and revo 290 lb/ft? To me this suggests the upsolute is the more peaky and less drivable.... am i correct in thinking? Anyone out there with a Up'd pd 150?

Finally is upsolute still around the ?300 mark as it was for the 1.8t?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Don't forget all these claims are on diff rollers on diff days etc. The only realistic way is to stick them all on the same rollers on the same day etc and even then there will be some variability.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
What do you mean by removable? Do you actually mean switchable? If so then I don't think Superchips is switchable but for most people that isn't really an issue. I have REVO and never stick it back into normal mode even when it goes into the dealers. Also I think Superchips is cheaper than REVO too.

·
Registered
811 Posts
?511 ish for a superchips i think... price isnt really the issue for me. We'll not ?30 or 40 anyway. I wont be switching programmes i dont think, the extra charge really isnt worth it. I never switched my 1.8T on the APR map.

Hmmmmmm i dunno.....

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It was my car that Nick drove yesterday. We were both interested to make the comparison and as far as we could tell, the two cars felt tuned the same. As long as Nick had his NOS switched off[:O], and didn't try an emergency stop[B)])

Now my Superchips map claims 185bhp in the blurb, dynoed at Superchips 190bhp and then independently at 195bhp. So its 195bhp, Okay?[:D] Jabba claim 204bhp do they? Ah well it must be then.

Revo is switchable and like Nick says, that doesn't remove any software it just changes it back to OEM settings.

Superchips is removable if you take it back to a dealer and have them upload your OEM program back again. TBH theres no need. My dealer knows all about my car.

All these maps have a checksum designed to mask the fact that the ECU has been reprogrammed, but ultimately the software is there to be discovered. Don't assume that because it is not detectable by rudimentary dealer diagnostics that there is no need to inform your insurer.

I seem to have nailed my colours to the Superchips mast having had three cars with their software, and I know the guys at HQ reasonably well now. The fact that they tune the VW Racing cars and have the longest history in the trade counts for a lot to me.

There is a Superchips GB on the go organised by Foxy and me if thats any help, there is a 15% discount on the ?511 RRP, which includes one year warranty, which can be extended thereafter for a further 12 months as long as the car is still within manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
As long as Nick had his NOS switched off, and didn't try an emergency stop)

Yeah, erm, lol! My brakes are currently not up to par, certainly not compared to the monster ECS2v2s. So I've booked in to get some Brembos fitted as I can't really wait for or afford the ECS brakes at this time.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
OT but i'd like to read more about the comparisons between James' and Nik's cars if possbile, now that you have driven each others. We know about the brakes, but what about the susp and any real difference felt between the maps.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
In all honesty it was a little difficult to give a real comparison. This is because it was so wet yesterday. James didn't drive my car because I wanted to show him the nos and it does take a bit of learning to use. Hopefully when it's dry and I've got the new brakes he'll be able to have a better go and give me a better opinion. I would say based on what we could do yesterday that there's very little if anything in it in terms of performance from the maps. I think his may be slightly faster but again would like to try this on a dry day and when I've got my brakes sorted. We did go for a spin in his mates chipped 330D and that's in a different league. I really am considering a 335D when they come out though will get one second hand.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by NikB on 25/02/2005 15:48:04

So I've booked in to get some Brembos fitted as I can't really wait for or afford the ECS brakes at this time.

JBS Nick?

If so, have they confirmed you will need spacers behind the front wheels?

I love the fact that you don't with the ECS 2v2 though cost is considerably more.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You definitely need spacers for the Gran Turismo Junior setup Gary. It depends on wheel clearance but between 5 and 10mm seems the order of the day. If you look at the kits side by side it is easy to see why.

The Brembo GT Junior (Leon type calliper) is a 2-part calliper bolted together. As such, the two halves are chunky and have the required bolts.

The ECS 2v2 kit uses Porsche Boxster rear callipers (also made by Brembo, same size as non-S Boxster fronts but with a slightly different pad dimension) but these are a single casting and can therefore be more compact. So you don't need the spacers, which is a good thing IMO. That was a factor in helping to make the jump in budget. The other factors were a devil-may-care attitude, tru-float rotors which work and look the mutts, matching rear upgrade, high quality, anti-corrosion anodising and Porsche logo[:)].

I have never had the remotest possibility of fade even after a track day when I used 1.5 tanks of fuel (@ 17mpg[^]) and the majority of a set of pads.

Having said that, Badger Bill, Wilko and others use the Junior kit on much more powerful machinery with no problems.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by NikB on 25/02/2005 19:04:19

In all honesty it was a little difficult to give a real comparison. This is because it was so wet yesterday. James didn't drive my car because I wanted to show him the nos and it does take a bit of learning to use. Hopefully when it's dry and I've got the new brakes he'll be able to have a better go and give me a better opinion. I would say based on what we could do yesterday that there's very little if anything in it in terms of performance from the maps. I think his may be slightly faster but again would like to try this on a dry day and when I've got my brakes sorted. We did go for a spin in his mates chipped 330D and that's in a different league. I really am considering a 335D when they come out though will get one second hand.

Agreed. It really was grotty. It had been snowing and the roads were slimed with salt. Still, we had to give it a go didn't we.[;)]

Ant's "d3" was a star of last year's Gumball 3000 and will be going on this year's event too. Check out the entertaining in-car videos at www.antandpete.co.uk and you can see an off-the-shelf diesel BMW with a remap consistently finish in the top 10, overtake F355's, 996T4's and RS6's and follow a Murcielago on every overtaking move except the one that narrowly avoided a head-on with an artic[:O]

·
Vendor
231 Posts
So you're aware, the car I took up for that article was running a slightly more aggressive code... not really more powerful but more aggressive, didn't help that the front tyres were bald either!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just had the Revo treatment installed locally, rally happy with it! I don't know what the 'Golf mag' article was on about as refinement is spot on.

Maybe because of the different map in the car tested?? Perhaps Revokev can tell us more??? Is a more aggressive map going to be available??

Anyway really happy, even though i'm ?580 lighter!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts