Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
yep the regular revo price is ?499 + VAT. In the states it $499 + Taxes - getting on for half the price we have to pay.

How computer code can be sold for almost double the price inthe UK is a joke - hence Ive still not invested in it, rip off Britain yet again. Its not even like they have to "ship" anything anywhere either, which is the usual excuse for charging us well over the odds.

I know REVO have develpment costs to cover, but ?500+VAT a pop - get back on planet earth.

Im guessing Mr Revo or relevant owners arent driving PD130s or any model of golf for that matter.

/high horse.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Oh and add the fact that when you sell your car, you loose it - they dont even offer the ability to return yours to stock and then put the code on another car for free, or maybe even a one off charge of ?100 or so.

Its plain profiteering as far as Im concerned.

?250 an Id think about it - but ?500+ for applying some code onto my car is a joke.

Even Microsoft don't charge that for an entire operating system, which you get to take with you to your next PC, and I'd bet that Microsofts development costs for an entire operating system far outweighed REVO's for a remap. Sure MS probably sell more, and make a darn sight more profit, but I hardly think REVO would feel the pinch at Christmas if they charged the same price golbaly.

If the software costs $499 in the US - why is the same software almost double that in the UK???

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote: posted by Felix on 08/02/2005 14:49:48

Quote: posted by Mike-P on 06/02/2005 16:31:54

Bill, don't bother, it's a waste of effort.

I take it as a Revo Dealer you paid full price including VAT for your own then...??

As for the exchange rate fluctuating both ways - does the price fluctuate accordingly? or has it stuck at ?499 + VAT since the $US was at 1.31 to the GB? and now remains the same ?499+VAT when the US$ is no nearer 1.85 to the GB?.

Yes its economics, and no, I can't change it, but I can stand by my opinion and hence shall not pay ?499+VAT for something that costs a fraction of that just to support profiteering.

What a surprise that Revo dealers are trying, and I might add "trying" just once more for dramatic effect, to justify the price.

Care to mention just how much you make for each Revo sold?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wilko,

I do agree in part with your response, however to say I "need to live in the real world" with regard to my objection to REVO cost I feel is a bit off.

The REVO system in its basic form is software code, now while businesses may wish to extract proffit from selling of this code, the difference between the UK and US price is, in my opinion, completely unjustifiable.

As you say products have to carry significantly more overhead costs than simply the manufacturing costs, but I think with regard to the REVO system the words "significantly more" are a little under powered themselves.

I assume that many dealers do not rely solely on sales of REVO alone to keep their businesses afloat, in fact would it not be possible, as the system is simply software modification, to run a REVO dealership from a van, in the same principal as a mobile tyre service. Then business costs and property costs are actually significantly less.

Yes, many people are quite happy to pay ?500 + VAT for REVO, and fair play to them if they can justify the cost - afterall there is no bigger bang for the buck.

I have not, and will not, buy it at the prices quoted. As you have said that's my choice as a consumer, but in my opinion REVO are taking the michael out of car performance enthusiasts by charging that price in the UK.

At the end of the day (great cliche), it is software code, and in my opinion, no amount of building expenses, property costs or wages can justify the price that is being charged for that product.

Microsoft charge ?239 inc VAT for Windows XP Professional in the UK, ($214 in the US - so again double) and I would expect that they have significantly higher development and property expenses than REVO.

Anyway, the price is what it is and that's that, its not going to be changed while people are still buying it.

However:

It would at least be nice of REVO to offer the service of uninstalling the code and appying it to your new car if you change your vehicle, but they don't even do that as far as I am aware.

So for company car drivers who may change their vehicle every couple of years, they are simply expected to swalow a ?499+VAT charge every time they change their car.

So, I buy a CD and play it on my CD player, if I buy a new CD player do I have to go out and buy my CD again?

If I buy a copy of Windows XP and then buy a new HDD, do I have to buy another copy of windows?

If I buy a new toaster do I have to throw away all my bread and go buy some more loaves?

While the above may be extreme examples, is this not exactly what REVO expects customers to put up with with their product??

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote: posted by Mike-P on 08/02/2005 15:34:10

Wilko, nice response..... to a ludicrous post.

Mike, rather than insulting other members of the forum, you could always try answering their questions/points with more than short rude answers..

Would you care to point out exactly why you think my post is ludicrous?

I have an opinion with regard to the REVO price and I have stated my reasoning behind it. Other people do not share that opinion - that's fair enough (its the basis of a discussion).

I don't think the price is justified, and others do. I have not in any way stated that people should not purchase that product, I have simply stated my opinion as to why I have not.

I do not wish to be objectionable and if I have caused you any offence by any of my remarks then I appologise.

However I would advise that you could put a little more effort into your on responses, especially when commenting on other peoples writing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote: posted by awesomeade on 08/02/2005 16:06:16

REVO or any other remap company simply couldnt economically justify lifetime maps whatever car you have...

Agreed, but they could offer you the ability to change it a couple of times at least.

Mike, I did read the post again, that sheds a lot more light on the situation, I automatically assumed that the REVO company was owned either wholly or in part by REVO in the US.

The post was quite informative, just a shame in my opinion, that you had to ruin it with a crass remark at the end.

I never expected for a moment that you would have paid full price for your REVO tuning, that's one of the "perks" of being a dealer.

I am stating my opinion of the list price that we (the general public) have to pay. Now if you're willing to do it at less than the list price then you may have an extra order[;)], but somewhow I doubt that you are allowed to do that.[:(]

?586 inc VAT in my opinion is way over the top for the product in question. Your opinion is that it isn't, we will just have to leave it at that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wilko - I doubt very much that there is a lot of money to be made as a dealer. I think the money being made is somewhat further up the supply chain.....

I have just downloaded the submitted accounts/info from companies house... Though it is from Dec 2003 - (I'm looking forward to reading the new info in October)

As stated above by Mike, the company is seperate from the US, however isn't it strange that the directors and developers (listed as electrical engineers) all have their names/addresses listed in America. With the exception of a couple of nominated directors in the UK.

So as for the development costs and staff costs, am I to assume they fly the staff over to the UK and pay them UK salaries, pay UK building costs and have them pay UK taxes while they work on the European ECU. I would hav thought that flying the European ECU over to the states forthe development work to take place (where those engineers live) would have made more sense. [;)]

Mike - Ill take you up on that offer, Ill buy you a pint back too... The debate could go on fr a while though - so should we tap the missus's (sp) up to drive back now? [:)]

I thought that it would be REVO who set the price, otherwise the dealers would be competing for business - thats a little unfair for the dealers I think, and a little unfair for the customers too in my opinion.

There is a guy round here that runs a mobile tyre service - he has no overheads other than the running of his Van and a store for his stock of tyres (which I think is his garage at home) - so he can offer tyres at prices far less than many stores - even online ones. However he only does "run of the mill" tyres.

A mobile Revo dealer could make a killing that way, no/small overheads and he can travel to the customers place of work and "do them" in a lunch hour - just a shame the lower costs to him cant be passed onto a customer.

Anyway - I think its too expensive, however I thought that about automatic garage door openers and a home cinema with 8ft screen and a stereo in the bathroom and a new "plasma" fire etc etc.

All the things above I thought were too expensive, until I craved them so much that I thought "B**ger it" and bought them anyway - then I cant be angry about the cost anymore, as I would then be calling myself a fool!

I suppose REVO will be the same eventually! LOL!.

Anyway - I think we have exhausted this one - lets move onto another debate.....

Hmmmmm 10% off........

you b*gger im at it already now. Again!...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.