Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As some of you may know, i've got a 1.8T Non-DBW

I have just sold my old car and i am now able to afford the remap i've been saving for. I was looking on the REVO website and noticed the price was ?399 + vat, which i dont think is too bad.

I rang up Cardini Motorsport in Lincoln as they are the closest dealer, and they told me its ?500 + vat!!

Should they be doing if for that price?

Steve

·
Registered
464 Posts
yep the regular revo price is ?499 + VAT. In the states it $499 + Taxes - getting on for half the price we have to pay.

How computer code can be sold for almost double the price inthe UK is a joke - hence Ive still not invested in it, rip off Britain yet again. Its not even like they have to "ship" anything anywhere either, which is the usual excuse for charging us well over the odds.

I know REVO have develpment costs to cover, but ?500+VAT a pop - get back on planet earth.

Im guessing Mr Revo or relevant owners arent driving PD130s or any model of golf for that matter.

/high horse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know its supposed to be good but ?600 is alot when Upsolute gives the same results for half the price.

I'm cant see why it says ?399 + vat on their website but dealers charge more tho.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The ?399 + VAT is for the Golf 1.8T 150bhp <2000

The ?499 + VAT is for the Golf 1.8T 2001 upwards

I think anyway! correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Oh and add the fact that when you sell your car, you loose it - they dont even offer the ability to return yours to stock and then put the code on another car for free, or maybe even a one off charge of ?100 or so.

Its plain profiteering as far as Im concerned.

?250 an Id think about it - but ?500+ for applying some code onto my car is a joke.

Even Microsoft don't charge that for an entire operating system, which you get to take with you to your next PC, and I'd bet that Microsofts development costs for an entire operating system far outweighed REVO's for a remap. Sure MS probably sell more, and make a darn sight more profit, but I hardly think REVO would feel the pinch at Christmas if they charged the same price golbaly.

If the software costs $499 in the US - why is the same software almost double that in the UK???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked the website again

It seems that the Non-DBW is ?399 + vat and the DBW ?500 + vat. But i did tell the guy on the phone that its a non-DBW and he still said ?500 + vat.

If that is the case, i'm definately not getting it done.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The non DBW price is ?399 + vat and that's official.

Tell him he's wrong, if he still insists it's ?499 + vat, get him to phone me and I'll put him straight. Or he can speak to Revo, who are likely to be less friendly.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My mate has a 1.8t AGU upsolouted with a neauspeed air intake pipe, vipercross cai, gfb bov & a mongoose back box.

I have a 1.8t AUM Revo'd and we are still on par. He has probally spent ?800 where as i have spent ?600.

However mine is a DBW which does make some difference.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote: posted by Viperpsych on 05/02/2005 19:06:20

My mate has a 1.8t AGU upsolouted with a neauspeed air intake pipe, vipercross cai, gfb bov & a mongoose back box.

I have a 1.8t AUM Revo'd and we are still on par. He has probally spent ?800 where as i have spent ?600.

However mine is a DBW which does make some difference.

It's only the chip on his car that's going to do much for power, the rest is mostly for show, maybe a couple of horsepower at best on the road. CAI might come into it's own in the Summer though.

Wrigley, ask Revo direct - they have their own forum section on SeatCupra.net and regularly use it.

Would go the UPsolute route myself though.

Surprised sfront bottomhorpe gets past the swear filter too BTW!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote: posted by Felix on 05/02/2005 16:53:24

yep the regular revo price is ?499 + VAT. In the states it $499 + Taxes - getting on for half the price we have to pay.

How computer code can be sold for almost double the price inthe UK is a joke - hence Ive still not invested in it, rip off Britain yet again. Its not even like they have to "ship" anything anywhere either, which is the usual excuse for charging us well over the odds.

I know REVO have develpment costs to cover, but ?500+VAT a pop - get back on planet earth.

Im guessing Mr Revo or relevant owners arent driving PD130s or any model of golf for that matter.

/high horse.

welcome to world ecconomics..

just how do you plan on changing this..

its applivcable for just about EVERYTHING.. and exchange rate can fluctuate both ways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,

Cheers for all the replies.

I've not totally decided what i am going to o yet. I have been looking at the Jabbasport website and it seems they do a pretty good deal for ?475 including VAT and thats with Rolling road time too.

The only reason i would go for REVO if it was ?399 + vat is the fact it can be done in less than half an hour and its less than an hours drive from where i live.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Steve, most of the major tuning companies, you've seen mentioned make a pretty good job of a non-DBW Golf, whatever you choose, you'll be happy.

If you like I'll get Revo to speak to the unhelpful dealer and see the error of their ways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mike

Cheers for the offer, i'll contact the company again tomorrow when they are open and explain that the price should be ?399 + vat and if they still argue, i will let you know.

Hopefully, they will do it for ?399 + vat and i'll go down tomorrow after i finish work [:D]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have spoken to Cadini and it was a genuine mistake (he actually called this morning to double check on the price) I am sure if you give him a ring then he will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[:)] Thanks for all the replies. Its all sorted now and i'm going down to get it done tomorrow morning [:D]

Cant wait! lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote: posted by Felix on 08/02/2005 14:49:48

Quote: posted by Mike-P on 06/02/2005 16:31:54

Bill, don't bother, it's a waste of effort.

I take it as a Revo Dealer you paid full price including VAT for your own then...??

As for the exchange rate fluctuating both ways - does the price fluctuate accordingly? or has it stuck at ?499 + VAT since the $US was at 1.31 to the GB? and now remains the same ?499+VAT when the US$ is no nearer 1.85 to the GB?.

Yes its economics, and no, I can't change it, but I can stand by my opinion and hence shall not pay ?499+VAT for something that costs a fraction of that just to support profiteering.

What a surprise that Revo dealers are trying, and I might add "trying" just once more for dramatic effect, to justify the price.

Care to mention just how much you make for each Revo sold?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts