Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I have had my 2002 1.8T for 2 weeks now and after reading all the hype I have had the Revo upgrade fitted. Now I was pretty sceptical about the sort of performance increase being mentioned (40 Plus BHP) with out further modifications to your car. I thought there must be a catch such as turbo lag, bad town manners etc.

I went to Cadini motorsport in Lincoln (01522 519449) and had a chat on Saturday. This chat led to me saying ok and getting the upgrade done. 20 mins later with a lap top and that was it. Did not even open bonnet! Job done. The technician said lets go and play so I drove him out of town to see what difference there was.

First of all. Slow driving in town is just like the car was before. Tickover is normal and all is fine. This is good for Mrs Muzzle and kids. Get on to open road and give it a bit more and it is very very very very impressive. Car pulls hard now from 2000 rpm and just keeps going all the way round the rev range. 4th gear pulls like 3rd now and 5th like 4th. The difference from the stock motor is very noticeable. All hype you have read about revo is true. The turbo noise I would say is 3 times louder and you can hear the dump valve clearly now when shifting gear.

I went to the England game in Manchester with a mate straight after the upgrade and on the motorways and cruising the car is great. 5th gear is all you now need for overtakes. 80 - 110 mph in 5th is effortlesss. I think the car car now be moved up from a warm hatch to a proper hot hatch. On a 300 mile trip the computer said average 32.4 MPG which would seem to say fuel economy is barely affected. At worst maybe 2 MPG down but that could be down to my right foot a little bit.

I have had all sorts of superbikes over the last 12 years and have been clocked at a genuine 170MPH in the rain so I have experienced a bit of performance over the years. Obviously you can not compare bikes to cars but the revo has been a very pleasant surprise and has to be the best value for money (? per BHP) hassle free upgrade you can get for any vehicle. Car or bike.

The only minor problem I would say is the price. Don't know what you guys think but I am not sure if I was overcharged. Quote by e-mail was for ?399 + Vat. When we got down to paying the guy said ?499 + Vat. When challenged he said the extra ?100 was because the car was Drive By Wire so more expensive.He had made a mistake when quoting. I asked about the switchable box (basic one) and that was an extra ?149. I know I do not have to have the box but it is nice if I need to change back to stock settings. Should this be included in the price? Anyway all in ?761.40 Inc Vat.

Hope this info helps any one else toying with a Revo. Just do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rolling road run. He said that the variables are set by revo and are not adjustable by him. He quoted the basic revo stuff that you get on their web page.

·
Registered
354 Posts
With all the fuss about variablility RRs on the forum, any numbers are just that, numbers. They tell you far less than your right foot and backside!

In my experience it's the driving experience that really counts, it's what made an Revo'd S3 driver change his car for a Revo'd PD150, 287 bhp & 287ft lb vs 190 bhp & 290ft lb, the numbers would never explain that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jason

I'm surprised he got the price wrong, all DBW cars are ?499, the Golf went DBW in late 2000. You can however change the variables with an SPS3 which gives control over boost and timing, it means you can get about 225 bhp out of the DBW engine with high boost and Optimax, and a 4 bar fpr (the upgrade is free for the 4 bar code). Not that I'm encouraging you to spend more dosh![:)]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The backside dyno certainly feels like a decent power increase. I presume that revo have their settings well within the engines capability. I still can't beleive this much power is available with a software upgrade.

I

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went for the basic kit. I want to keep the car standard for Mrs and have a bit of fun when I use it. I will fit a K&N or similar panel filter and that will be it. If you want big performance try a bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cadini Motorsport

Unit 14 Newark Road Ind Est

Murdock Road

Lincoln

LN5 8RG

01522 519449

They are behind Sandersons Motorhouse.

E-mail [email protected]

All e-mails were replied to. I told the guy that he could make a killing in Lincoln with the revo if he promoted it a bit more. He has been there since October. Found him on the revo web site.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Don't know how you managed to post the topic 4 times or double replies in this thread but I'd just say give it time to update itself and be careful with clicking. The server has some issues at the moment.

·
Registered
737 Posts
smoking muzzle,

I would be very interested to have a ride in your car if possible; especially since I live in Lincoln. My car is identical spec to yours before the re-map and I'm considering the Revo option.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the SPS1 if i were you as you will hardly ever use it. You could keep an eye out on Ebay and the classifieds for the SPS3 tuning box as they are becoming more common and go for between ?100-?170.

Once you start getting used to the Revo head back down to your dealer and get yourself the 4bar programme and an SPS3 as it will increase the smile on your face another 20%.

Gotta love the Revo [^]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zekegti.

What does the 4 bar Revo do extra than normal revo. I presume more power but what is changed to get this power. Would I need to change other parts to cope with the increase?

You say another 20% smile factor. That will give me permanent face ache!

·
Registered
680 Posts
4bar as in 4bar fuel pressure regulator and appropriate REVO code to match.

With SPS3 there is more to be had.

Not all modesl have a 4bar option.

Presuming yours is an AUM engine code, and if so you can.

(same as my wifes 1.8T Lupo.. same engine, REVo 4bar code on it. did 253bhp and 270lbft when turned up with SPS3 & proper fueling [:D] )

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote: posted by Badger5 on 02/04/2005 19:59:32

4bar as in 4bar fuel pressure regulator and appropriate REVO code to match.

With SPS3 there is more to be had.

Not all modesl have a 4bar option.

Presuming yours is an AUM engine code, and if so you can.

(same as my wifes 1.8T Lupo.. same engine, REVo 4bar code on it. did 253bhp and 270lbft when turned up with SPS3 & proper fueling [:D] )

OMG!!!! - really can't wait to read about Mrs B's Lupo in PVW.

The lil thing must fly!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts