Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Was in a REVO dealer the other day just enquiring. They told me that for my AGU engine they'd need to "change the chip". Now I asked what they meant by that and they replied "you can't just remap them like the later models".

To me that means chipping the ecu and not just loading code via the Diagnostic Port.

I know via reading the forum that you can't have advanced code (like two switchable programs) on my engine.

Am I being lied to or am I just wrong.

Had a search on the forum but it just backed up my view.

Thanks,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thats absolute B**Sh*T....Revo are the only manfacturer who can do a remap without removing the ECU AFAIK, I have had mine done and its a 99 AGU like yours, ?339 +VAT ....20 mins or so then a run around for a test ....WOW.

I would take that dealers name and report them to REVO themselves.

HTH

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Revo DO have to remove the ECU from cars with early non-DBW AGU engine.

Mine was done on a bench by a REVO dealer.....saw it with my own eyes.

By the way, you can use an SPS1 with an AGU to switch between Revo or stock modes.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Are you sure they dont mean they havent wrote a re-map for your engine code

I had to wait a while for mine to be wrote as they didnt have it for my engine , although they had wrote other code for the 4motions

·
Registered
246 Posts

By the way, you can use an SPS1 with an AGU to switch between Revo or stock modes.
how early? mine was a 99 plate AGU, anything before this maybe but ive certainly never heard of REVO having to remove the ECU, others do like custom code, Jabba ect.

The just uploaded it on mine via the ODB port ...job done

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
All AGUs are the same as far as I know. I've never heard of anyone having an AGU mapped through the serial port.

Revo are the only people who can recode the ECU without using some sort of piggyback chip.

Did you see them do your car?

·
Registered
411 Posts
My previous Golf was a 99 AGU. When I took it to Westec for Revo stage1 remap they took the ECU out to download the Revo, but frustratingly it just wouldn't accept the new map. They told me it wasn't uncommon for some VW ECU's to refuse the new map, but they also thought that someone had been in the ECU before. They advised that it would have to go to Revo and have blank Eprom fitted, which they could then remap successfully.

I p/x 'd the 99 for a 2000 ARZ a few days later which i'm very happy with. Gonna have it remapped next week. I can't wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats absolute B**Sh*T....Revo are the only manfacturer who can do a remap without removing the ECU AFAIK, I have had mine done and its a 99 AGU like yours, ?339 +VAT ....20 mins or so then a run around for a test ....WOW.

I would take that dealers name and report them to REVO themselves.

HTH
Well thats what I thought. And surely 20 mins isn't enough time to get ecu out, chip it, then reassemble.

Well i'm not gonna name and shame but I don't think i'll use them. They have had nothing but good reports on this forum. Although they did have a young lad in there at the same time, he was actually getting it done and they said the same to him. Thats why I didn't really question more.

Thanks for the replies,

Mav,

·
Registered
539 Posts
Revo dealers will take the ECU out of the car, plug it into a computer to download the revo code onto it. Then re-install it back into the car. They do not open the ECU to change chips!!!

If they have a laptop and 1/2 a brain, they can do all this with the ECU in situe by disconnecting the leads, provoding 12V and using the REVO transfer cable and a laptop...

Takes maybe 5 mins to upload the map maximum.

My advice is take the wipers off, then it's easy to take the plenum chamber off to get at the ECU. Wiper arms have a tendancy to stick!!

Oh if ur going Revo then get an SPS1 device to change between stock and chipped. Otherwise get a cheaper map...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
OK Dealer here so I will give you all the correct answer to this one.

There are two ways of loading Revo code into an AGU ECU.

If the dealer has a modified Revo cable it can be done through the Diagnostic port, if they don't then it has to be done as a bench flash. This is done either by completely removing the ECU and doing it on "the bench" or as we do it by unplugging the ECU and leaving it in situ and using the Revo bench flash cable to flash it in place.

As we flash the ECU in situ we usually use the cars battery to power the Revo cable / ECU.

The ECU is located under the scuttle cover so the wipers have to come off.

There are some circumstances where the ECU may need to be chipped to return it to stock first, though this is only true if it has a hardware style chip from another company already fitted.

Paul

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Cheers for clearing that one up Paul, I have never heard of this modified cable....is it a new thing?
Newish and most dealers don't have a modified one (us included) as Revo didn't have the extra parts at the time. To be honest though we have got the AGU proceedure down to a fine art so it doesn't take much longer and there aren't so many non-DBW out there so you come across them less frequently.

·
Vendor
231 Posts
Are you sure you weren't just misinterpreting what the dealer was saying? 'Some' people don't explain situations as well as others! If you could PM me the dealers details I'll find out what/why they would be saying this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies and giving me a definate answer,

I think they could have worded it differently but assumed I didn't know anything about the topic. Therefore "change the chip" could have meant load the code onto the chip.

Don't really want to upset anyone as I may get it done there anyway but it's good to know that REVO do care about there dealers customer service.

Thanks Again,

Mav,

·
Vendor
231 Posts
Hey mate, drop me an email anyway... last thing I'm going to do is upset them. Might require a quick bit of education in regards to terminology or model differences though!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was also told the ECU had to be removed to have revo installed. Argued a little as it's an AUM, realised they were talking rubbish and went elsewhere, they did NOT have to remove it. Apparently the dealers I called were mainly suburu tuners but do appear on the revo authorised dealers page....

Paul.

·
Vendor
231 Posts
You must have dealt with someone that doesn't normally do Revo there, unless they just weren't checking their application lists... which is very common!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just wanted to say, I had my '99 AGU REVO'd and watched them take the ECU out and flash it on the bench.  It's well worth it though, absolutely brilliant, although I don't really see the point of the switchable unit.  It's quite expensive and can' say I'd ever want to switch it back as it much more driveable with the REVO program!

·
Registered
680 Posts

how early? mine was a 99 plate AGU, anything before this maybe but ive certainly never heard of REVO having to remove the ECU, others do like custom code, Jabba ect.

The just uploaded it on mine via the ODB port ...job done
Remove sometimes, but certainly you have to plug direct into the ecu not the OBD port. Same for Custom Code.

Its true some ECU's dont want to take code for various comms reasons, and occasionally because a car has ben reverted to stock by a.n.other tuner (physical chip) and not everything aligns properly for reflashing. Custom Code have a handy application which overcomes 'some' of the issues. Very early ECU's however are not flashable (early A3 1.8T for example) as they need physical chip. (which Custom Code do also @ their HQ)

Would need to check ecu code to confirm what type it is.

regards

bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts