Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive had both. Retro fit were brighter and cast an even beam, OEM had a much better cut off but not as much light cast.

I started with retro fit, then went to OEM then went back to retro fit as the difference was very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Quote: posted by unikarl on 03/11/2004 09:39:54

Ive had both. Retro fit were brighter and cast an even beam, OEM had a much better cut off but not as much light cast.

I started with retro fit, then went to OEM then went back to retro fit as the difference was very noticeable.

are you sure they were adjusted right? ive had both, the retro did seem brighter but the beem was limited, the OEMS had a better spread of light and overall i found them better, also OEMS have a nicer appearance to oncoming cars, BUT if a stone breaks one its like a second mortgage to replace them!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine were definately adjusted right. The light cast was even, just not as bright as the retro's.

Ive had my retro fit xenons in 3 different cars now and they are way brighter than any other xenon equiped car I pull up along side. I have not got them pointing too high but the beam travels a long way ahead of me and retains its pattern as if it still had the Halogen bulbs.

I really cant fault them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote: posted by R44MS_K on 03/11/2004 10:10:13

any more input peeps??

the kit is provided with 4800k bulbs!! ideally i want 6000k...

Forgot to mention, my kit is rated at 6000k.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ram,

I've got 8500k retrofits - bought em off Rally_Chris when he was selling his Golf :)

I'm getting my tints this sunday if you want to look?

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will be working on sun so wont be at the mini meet / tint session but will ask amar what he thinks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
got my xenons from www.hid-lights.com.

With the exchange rate the way it is, these work out to be an absolute bargain.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had the VagParts retrofit kit in my Golf and have OEM Xenons on my S3.

The retrofit kit had a better light output and to be honest I preffered driving with these to the ones on my S3. However, the retrofit kit had no self levelling, no washers and no projector lens and for that reason - OEM is the way to go really!

·
Registered
385 Posts
The biggest problem with OEM xenon?s is the nuisance of "outrunning the beam". With the retro-fit ones you are in better control of the direction of the beam [via adjustable level guide]. With my M3 by 50mph I'm outrunning the beam! Pah! Retro-fit kits are good [esp. for the money] - I've had a pair on my Anniversary for quite some time now and they've been hassle free and have done me a good service.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Unikarl, thanks for those tips mate. You answered most of the things I've been wondering about in this thread.

Did you have to cut the back of your light units to get the bulbs to fit?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've got 6000k in mine and to be honest, they are little too blue. I think 4500-5000k would be spot on. Personal preference comes into play when looking at Kelvin temperature though, so it is at your discretion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 6000k retrofits and they are brilliant, look very blue when you first switch them on until they warm up though.

only thing is car must be MOTed in 2 weeks, should I take the retofits out for it to pass ????

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Mine passed it's MOT ok. They're 6500K (Vagparts) which are a little bit too blue for my taste.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts