Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ordered my HID kit last night got it from "genuine", they sell on here and ebay. Got the full kit for ?125. Which is ridiculously cheap so i am excited to see the quality and fit of the kit now! I bought the 6000k version for obvious reasons, colour and brightness at the same time. Anyone got any tips for me fitting? i will get progress pics as i fit it if anyone would like? So excited htink they will transform my car at night!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Interested to see what they look like!! I want Xenons too, but like the styling of the Anni lights... this might be the way to go.

'before', 'during' and 'after' pics would be cool.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,

Im hoping so, but i guess at ?125 it doesnt matter if theyre not amazing to be honest sort of throw away money. Will get the pics up if i get em b4 the weekend i hope! Anyone got any tips on fitting or anything?

opinions keep em comin

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the pics mate looks "fairly" straight forward. Going to give it a bash myself instead of forking out ?100 to get it fitted! Any tips you could give me beofre i start tearing my car apart as it looks like you have bought some extra materials like the wire housing tubing? also did you cut those holes in the backing on the lights? if so did you just use rubber bungs to seal them in?

Cheers!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Will definately be keeping an eye on this.

I have some aftermarket projector lights on my Bora, will these fit in? Do they not get too hot?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
All the bits in the pics where supplied with my HID kit, the only work I had to do for fitting where;

remove the front bumper
mount and drill holes for the ballasts
drill holes in the rear of the headlighs

The only advice I would give is look at changing your sidelight bulbs at the same time to some leds, say from http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ which will prevent making your like looking too blue.

Posted Image

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup to my knowledge they will fit, just regular H7 bulbs although for teh projectors you may use the D2S/D2R bulb not sure which one but no they are cooler than halogen so they shouldnt hurt your new healights if they are plastic as long as the bulb does not touch the lens! If i do get these in and am happy to recommend i will ask about a group buy to lower the packaging costs!

I think alot of people will be watching this one to see if i just wasted money or if it really is a decent kit!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks alot rfsteel for the info will have to check out my kit to see what it comes with because i guess all of them contain different kit! What bulbs are the side lights as i have heard some people say you can only get them from VW as they are offset? alhtough i am dubious about this comment i know someone must sell them? Are they 501's?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
thanks alot rfsteel for the info will have to check out my kit to see what it comes with because i guess all of them contain different kit! What bulbs are the side lights as i have heard some people say you can only get them from VW as they are offset? alhtough i am dubious about this comment i know someone must sell them? Are they 501's?
Not a problem, thats why were come here.

As for the sidelight bulbs, you are correct these are 501's. Though you will also be opening the other can of worms regarding sidelight LED bulb failure. Before I fitted the Ultraled ones, the previous 3 pairs had failed, but the Ultraled one's have now been going for over a year with no problems or failures.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44_55&products_id=525

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/375279.aspx

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right ordered them now ?10 not bad at all delivered! Now for the hardest part..... Waiting for both of them to arrive! :( makes me sad! will keep this up to date for all you peeps with millions of photos haha! Anyway once again cheers rfsteel you've been a great help and i am sure i will be asking more questions on this thread!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Why does the plastic housing need cutting?

Where do the ballasts draw there power from? The original light connectors?
The housing needs cutting to feed the power out for the balasts and to feed the power back into the bulb. The balasts take their power from the orginal bulb connectors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so my order is on its way now, it left eastern china at 4am so should be here by saturday and my new digicam came today (internet buying addiction) so will have some nice pics up for all of you on this super cheap kit!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,

Checked the DHL tracking number today and it was at my local DHL depot but nooone is at home so looks like a may not get em till tomorrow :( Camera is here now though so i can do a photo guide with them!

Getting excited now, also my LED sidelights came so will do a mini guide for them while i do the Xenons. Cheers for the link to them Rfsteel. anyway i expect to have them fitted some time this week but i am useless at posting photos so can someone post them for me if i email the stuff to you?

Cheers,

Jack

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol ok bud,

fitting them tonight if weather stays at 27 degrees! And i am a little snap happy with my new camera! Anyone on here good at posting pics etc? because i will write a guide tonight after i do it with all the pics and my opinion on the kit etc (quality, light output etc) I just dont know how to post pics easily! Been looking at them the last 2 days and they look good quality ballasts and wiring etc so lets hope all goes well! I will photograph every stage for you lot, also fitting the sidelights so will do that too!

cheers,

jack

1 - 20 of 31 Posts