Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it might have been asked before, but can you retro fit a centre armrest to a MK5, I had a salesman tell me it cannot be done.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You can. Foxy sold one on the other day. It requies a different back part of the centre console, as well as the arm rest bits themselves. I guess the parts must all have numbers, but haven't seen a list.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, can be done quite easily, though not especially cheaply compared to the cost of it as an option when new.

I did this to mine, got all the bits from Vagparts, about ?230 if I remember correctly.

I also wrote a fitting guide with pics if you decide to go ahead.

You will need the data sticker info from your car so that wherever you buy it from can order the right colour bits etc.

A worthwhile mod though I think, even at the price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, can be done quite easily, though not especially cheaply compared to the cost of it as an option when new.

I did this to mine, got all the bits from Vagparts, about ?230 if I remember correctly.

I also wrote a fitting guide with pics if you decide to go ahead.

You will need the data sticker info from your car so that wherever you buy it from can order the right colour bits etc.

A worthwhile mod though I think, even at the price.
Hi, I would really appreciate that guide as I'm about to fit an armrest with centre console this weekend.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know it might have been asked before, but can you retro fit a centre armrest to a MK5, I had a salesman tell me it cannot be done.
It most definitely can be done. I fitted the armrest, the centre console with sliding shutter over the cupholders and the air vent ducting from the dash to the back of the armrest and it all works. If you can pick up the parts, its not too difficult a job and makes a big difference. Well worth it IMO.

Cheers to Foxy for supplying me with all the parts and cheers to Tooks for his guide that shows how to assemble the armrest section from scratch. If anyone is going to attempt the full fitting, feel free to give me a shout and I'll be happy to give as much info as I can.

Dave

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It most definitely can be done. I fitted the armrest, the centre console with sliding shutter over the cupholders and the air vent ducting from the dash to the back of the armrest and it all works. If you can pick up the parts, its not too difficult a job and makes a big difference. Well worth it IMO.

Cheers to Foxy for supplying me with all the parts and cheers to Tooks for his guide that shows how to assemble the armrest section from scratch. If anyone is going to attempt the full fitting, feel free to give me a shout and I'll be happy to give as much info as I can.

Dave
Thanks Dave,but I went the easy route and changed the car[:D]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Any chance of a parts list, with official prices, and that how to guide from somebody. I think this is a "must do". The interior looks cheap without it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any chance of a parts list, with official
prices, and that how to guide from somebody. I think this is a "must
do". The interior looks cheap without it.
Agree with this, it would be nice to see [:)]

·
Registered
19 Posts

Genuine Audi and VW retro fit armrest kits available for:

Car
Average price cloth

Average price leather

New A4 cabriolet *
?175.00

?195.00
New A4
?175.00

?195.00
A4 > 2001
?155.00

?171.00
A3
?175.00

?195.00
NEW A3
?163.00

?178.00
A6 98>
?168.00

?183.00
Allroad
?168.00

?183.00
New MK5 Golf
?235.00

?245.00
MK4 Golf
?166.00

?186.00
Bora
?166.00

?186.00

* Double cup holder available for the new A4 Cabriolet ?18.00+ vat

All prices exclude vat.

Retro fitting armrests is quite straight forward, all mounting hardware parts are supplied in the kits. There are *MANY* different colour and trim options that match up to the cars original trim, so we MUST have a copy of your cars data sticker to be able to order the correct parts!

Installations guides are available for A4 >2001, A4 2001>2005, New Golf 2004 onwards in .pdf format.

Please e-mail us with a copy of the sticker! the data sticker can be found in the service record book, or under the boot floor carpet (most Audi's) and looks like a white 3 inch square sticker with lots of codes printed on it.

Fitting the armrest involves cutting out the area marked in blue opposite. The area to be cut out, is generally pre-marked on the underneath of the console. You do not have to completely remove the console to fit the armrest, but loosen it enough to lift the back end to work on.

The mounting bracket bolts to the floor of the car and one long screw goes through this bracket up into the armrest to secure it to the car.

The armrest hinges up vertically so can be moved up out of the way when not required.

Average fitting time: 1Hr 30mins.

< Golf MK4 and Bora armrest

MK5 Golf >

The whole rear centre console is replaced with a new one that includes the armrest!

This new rear console / armrest has two very important points that must be understood.

1) There will be an air vent in the back of the console, this air vent will not be operational! You could make this work for not a lot more money, but the work involved would be very considerable! we cannot suggest it's done.

2) The console will have a power socket in the front of it. We do supply the power socket, but we do not supply any wiring for it, this you will need to wire yourself.

All of the parts in the picture opposite will be supplied in our kit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
According to this it's ?285! Do you have another link? Seems like a lot of money for an armrest!
If you go to there page and do a search in the shop on armrest it comes up as ?163.75, the drinks holder with cover and bottle opener is ?20.23 not too bad a price. Including vat and delivery would come to around ?220 for both.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
OK, thanks Dave. Found that here.

Much better price. Not sure that the roll top drinks holder shown is a direct replacement as claimed.

Posted Image

I think you'd need the section of console as well. This also carries the ducting for the air vents on the back of the armrest, so it's worth doing. As you say though, the drinks holder is a bargain. You could pay that for the bottle opener on Ebay!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts