Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, is there anything you lot haven't done yourselves? [:O]

Would a dealer fit one, and any idea on cost from them? I'm wishing I had got it on the car to start with now..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks for the info, is there anything you lot haven't done yourselves? [:O]

Would a dealer fit one, and any idea on cost from them? I'm wishing I had got it on the car to start with now..
Well it's on VW UK's web site as an accessory £1200 ish , so suppose a dealer would fit it, for another £1200 [:'(]

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dealer price of £1250 includes fitting but doesn't include the disk, easy to do yourself though plenty of units turn up on ebay just make sure you get one with the navigation disk.  These can be pretty expensive on there own about £60-90 on ebay or £170 odd from the dealer. Version 3 is the mos recent one however it shouldn't be long until version 4 is out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks, It's really all to do with my sound setup really, I didn't take the satnav when I ordered the car (although I need it!) as I wanted to fit my own sound system in but I'm finding it difficult to get down to sticking that 'after market' look head unit in although the 'blue letterbox' ain't that pretty!

One more question .. does the satnav/radio have any preout's so you can plug an amp to it? If so that would solve all my problems!

Thanks again, bit new to the satnav scene [:S]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'd be inclined to see the VW satnav working first, I used a Mates Honda system on a journey to France, it looked great , but wasn't very user friendly, in fact my Wifes old Tomtom was much better to use.

One example, the Honda system didn't show distances to the next turn it said to take, nor did it say any distances when close to making that turn, unlike the Tomtom.

Also you couldn't do any programming whilst on the move, and pulling over to enter new instructions was a right pain, I understand it's dangerous for a driver to be doing this, but it would have been nice for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I find it pretty good to use, if you have the highline computer then the junctions are displayed on there, with a distance bar clicking down the nearer you get to the junction. If you have a portable system you might miss the fact that it's only displays a 'top down' view of the road rather than 3D.

The one complaint I have is that it's a bit slow in calculating the route initially and then re-calculating if you or the system changes it mid-journey but I do have the CD system. I believe the DVD system is much quicker, although you do lose the TMC traffic message facility (because VW haven't subscribed to it on DVD!) I think the DVD system could be slightly better sound wise as well, but don't quote me on that, the CD SATNAV system is a significant improvement on the RCD500 which I had before though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mmm been reading up and now realize that you would have to have the armrest cd changer to be able to use the nav and listen to cd at the same time, can that be fitted by a dealer also? And does anybody know if the satnav unit has any preouts to so you could hook an amp up to it??

I don't know what direction to go [*-)]

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Do you have an iPod? I've got the Dension Icelink and have the iPod in the glovebox, that way no need for the CD Changer or any CD's and I have my entire music collection in the car!

PS - You can't use the navagation and listen to the CD at the same time though you can listen to the radio and have the sat nav on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As thomask says above, the most practical setup is to have is the Dension icelink& Ipod. I have the cd changer in the armrest, but it is disconnected in favour of the ipod. With the ipod you can have you're whole music collection available, and then also available outside the car when you reach your destination. I have mounted the ipod in the pull down cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. As far as satnav goes, I bought a CD version from a seller in Lithuania for £350 and fitted it myself. It isnt as good as Tom Tom to look at or in terms of functionality, but it doesnt loose it's position anywhere near as much, and it pretty much locks on as soon as you start up - I have had many a hissy fit with the Tom tom units around cities where they loose the signal and refuse to lock on again for ages. The MFD2 units use the ABS sensors to follow your location on the map when the GPS signal is unavailable. So Tom Tom is better to look at and easier to use, but the Custom fit DX syetm is much more reliable, especially if you drive a lot in cities.

Steve

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
So Tom Tom is better to look at and easier to use, but the Custom fit DX syetm is much more reliable, especially if you drive a lot in cities.
Each to their own Steve but I thought the whole point of the OEM sat nav fit is that it looks a whole lot better and 'built-in' than a little Tomtom stuck to the windscreen!

·
Registered
310 Posts
The DVD unit does have pre outs pretty sure these are for the add on sound pack with the external amp, you need to get an adoptor cable to use them however these are easy to make (the unit has a pin out diagram on it for all the sockets on the back) or you can pick it up on ebay.  The unit also has a couple of line ins and video ins I noticed that the DVD one has a RGB in which should result in a pretty good picture. I found the unit has a massive jump in sound quailty from the RCD300 which IMHO had rubbish sound quality even adter mucking about with the settings, I plan to change the front speakers to Pionner ones as the old Gamma system in my Polo still sounded better so I hope the new speakers will bring another gain in sound quality.  I also put in a dension ipod link at the same time which works well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So Tom Tom is better to look at and easier to use, but the Custom fit DX syetm is much more reliable, especially if you drive a lot in cities.
Each to their own Steve but I thought the whole point of the OEM sat nav fit is that it looks a whole lot better and 'built-in' than a little Tomtom stuck to the windscreen!
When I said 'better to look at' I meant in terms of the information on screen and the 3d image, street names et.c,not the asthetics of the unit - I agree that there is no comparison between the custom fit and the 'stuck-on, wires trailing' Tom Tom look, theft potential....

Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
ive retro fitted the none dvd version with amp and sub also phatnoise

all works great just get the amp rumble through the speakers

which i carnt seem to stop if any one can help ive had to cut into

changer lead for the swith supply.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts