Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi Aric

Thanks allot for the information it is most appreciated... what did people do before the internet!

Ideally I would like to keep to the standard 05 MFSW with DSG paddles. Want to keep to the 05 style buttons as that is what is in the car handbook and I want to be able to operate my 'Full' VW Nokia 6310i telephone system that I fitted via the wheel as per the handbook too. You mention that the colour of the wheels is now black and not grey is this true of just the GTI Wheel or standard wheel too? Dont want to spend ?400 on a new wheel and it be a different colour to the dash.

Do you envisage any problems with the operation fo the DSG with it being a 05 model car? Will the single module change accomodate that operation?

Hope you can find the pictures they woudl be usefull too.

Regards and thanks one again for your help

DaveL
Sorry, the MFSW part number i gave you was the 2006 spec version.. ie.. with Menu control on the right hand side... and voloum on left. I am not too sure if u can still get the 2004-2005 version of the MFSW as new... but i can check for u. I will also check to see if the MF control modules on the steering will be different or if that also been replaced.

Mine is a 2006 spec car, and the standard SW and the dash are kind of black colour... I know earlier version of standard sw was gray... and earlier GTi SW was in gray/black. Not too sure about the dash in grey or not thou. Either way.. i think black SW is acceptable even if your dash is kind of grey.. its the other way round that i think i won't like... if your airbag is kind of grey colour...i am sure u can put some dash cleaning stuff to make it black / darker... unless u want to pay ?500 for a new airbag!!

THe telephone system should still work...at least there are the button on the MFSW... as i dont' have phone system installed, i won't be able to say for sure...
I haven't had any problems with the paddles for gear changes.. Paddles sw works for both DSG and normal auto tiptronic cars. As long as you have the right canbus module... you should be fine...

Oh,, you might also need a different slip ring to support the extra controls from the MFSW / canbus. The one you will need 1k0 959 653C... depends on which one your car came with.. . mine already came with the later version to work with the canbus module.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Aric,

I get confused easily. What would I need for get the MFSW working on my 2005 GTI Manual?
I guess u want to stick with GTI SW,, in which case... you will need:

MFSW with NO paddles: 1k0 419 091 BA, (2005 spec)
: 1k0 419 091 AN, (2006 spec)
Canbus modules to work with the MF modules.
Wiring loom for airbag.
and might need new slip ring too depends on which one u currently have..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Aric

Thanks once again for your help and advice it is most appreciated. If you can find out the info you said that would be most appreciated too and when I am 100% sure I have the right part numbers I will get onto the garrage and order the parts and then make the mod.

Thanks again

DaveL

·
Registered
442 Posts
Aric

Thanks once again for your help and advice it is most appreciated. If you can find out the info you said that would be most appreciated too and when I am 100% sure I have the right part numbers I will get onto the garrage and order the parts and then make the mod.

Thanks again

DaveL
do you mean to find out if u can still get the 2004-2005 version of the MFSW?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes (2004-2005 with paddels) and whether you can get in anthracite and not black. Do you have a contact at VW?

Cheers

DaveL

·
Registered
442 Posts
Aric, what was the total cost of everything?
I can't remember how much i paid it total... i try not to remember how much i spent on the car!!
how... the canbus modules was about 100, wiring loom about 25, GTI MFSW with paddles around 290, slip ring around 40 and if u want a new airbag... thats around 340... All price + VAT

Those were the price back in the early day.....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes (2004-2005 with paddels) and whether you can get in anthracite and not black. Do you have a contact at VW?

Cheers

DaveL
DaveL,

Just to remind u... if you do go for the standard 2004/5 spec MFSW, you won't get the off button on the paddles to turn off the override. as the 2004/5 spec MFSW with paddles was designed for auto tiptronic cars.. Only the GTI MFSW and 2006 spec standard MFSW with paddles have the off button

·
Registered
57 Posts
So does that mean that I need to move the gear shifter over to the left to activate the padles or are they on all the time?

The more look into this project the more complicated it seems to get, it may be less hastle to buy a new car!

I will have to give it some serious thought when I have all the information together and price it all up.

Thanks again Aric for you help and advice.

DaveL

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
In Aric's absence (i've been involved in his install and know about the paddle operation).

No matter what forward gear setting you s elect on the gear stick....you can "intervene" by clicking one of the paddles to take control.

If the GCU gets no commands from the paddles for around 15-20 seconds (if i remember correctly), it then resumes automatic changes again...

.....and so on.

Believe me - it was a doddle to do and if you scour eBay.de for parts, you can do the mod for alot less than RRP.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So does that mean that I need to move the gear shifter over to the left to activate the padles or are they on all the time?

The more look into this project the more complicated it seems to get, it may be less hastle to buy a new car!

I will have to give it some serious thought when I have all the information together and price it all up.

Thanks again Aric for you help and advice.

DaveL
The paddles Works in D, S, M. When use in D / S mode, when you press the paddles.. it will override the system and switch to M.. If you don't make any gear changes, then it will switch back to whatever gear mode you have on the stick. You can also switch back to D/S by moving the gear stick over to M and back to D/S. If you have the GTI DSG paddles / 2006 paddles then you will have the off button to switch back to D/S mode.

It isn't complicated at all, specially i have already given you all the info you need and parts required... All you need to do just get the parts from somewhere... and it is just straight forward swap.. all plug n play ready to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your right Aric I just need to now get on and do it and stop worrying.

I'll report back once I have made the mod and let you know how I get on, probably next month when I have a the money for the parts.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

DaveL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thought I would bring this up again. I have a 2006 spec GTi with DSG and paddles, but no MFSW.

I retro fitted the cruise control yesterday and now have the bug. I want to a add the MFSW buttons(2006 style)

As I have paddles, I am fortunate enough to have the slots for the MFSW buttons to screw into, so I don't need to replace my steering wheel, don't need a new airbag, Just need the buttons and possibly a new CAN module (1K0 953 549 AK) did not think to check it when I did the cruise control yesterday, Am I right by assuming it is the black plastic box of electronics under the steering colum, just above the steering colum lock??

Does anyone or can anyone get me the part no's for the MFSW buttons left and right.

Thanking you all

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thought I would bring this up again. I have a 2006 spec GTi with DSG and paddles, but no MFSW.

I retro fitted the cruise control yesterday and now have the bug. I want to a add the MFSW buttons(2006 style)

As I have paddles, I am fortunate enough to have the slots for the MFSW buttons to screw into, so I don't need to replace my steering wheel, don't need a new airbag, Just need the buttons and possibly a new CAN module (1K0 953 549 AK) did not think to check it when I did the cruise control yesterday, Am I right by assuming it is the black plastic box of electronics under the steering colum, just above the steering colum lock??

Does anyone or can anyone get me the part no's for the MFSW buttons left and right.

Thanking you all
Yes, 2006 DSG come with paddles steering wheel as standard, and as far as I know it is the same as the MFSW but with buttons remove. You should be able to get hold of those buttons:

Left: 3C0 959 537 B REH
Right: 3C0 959 538C REH

As for the Can modules, it depends on which one you have. You might already have the correct one.. ...549AK. If so, you might just need to enable the correct settings on Vag-com. As said before, 549Ak have now replaced all the old ones.

You might also want to check the Control unit inside the steering wheel where the paddles + MF button goes is 3c0 959 542, if not you will need it.

Its the box right at the bottom of the steering wheel...

Posted Image

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you for the fast response, those part no.s and answering my next question about the part no. for the module where the paddles plug into.

I'm assuming the contol module in your pic is just below the "metal work" and you can see the circuit board sandwiched between the plastic housing, Am I correct by saying this?

Thank you again

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought I would get of my backside and go have a look what I have in my car

Canbus module = 1K0 953 549 AG should be AK, wonder if mine will work?

MFSW connector = 3C0 959 542, so no problem there.

Anyway of knowing if my current CAN module will work with the new buttons? VW have so many varients of part no.s,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Right

I have now made the mod with teh wheel so reprt back with my finding:

So Parts I used where:

1K0 419 091 AF 7B4 - MF Wheel Leather for tiptronic - Anthracite
1K0 953 549 AK - Electronic Module for Steering Column
1K0 971 584 C - Airbag wiring harness
1K0 959 653 C - Return Ring with Slip Ring

Installation is as per Arics comments and quite straight forward (remember to disconnect battery whilst doing the work).

Posted Image

Wheel off and column trim showing module & Slip Ring

Posted Image

Back of Airbag

Posted Image

The Finished product!

However all was no rosey! After reconectign the battery and firing her up, All worked but I had lost power steering (orange wheel warnign light and orange ESP light). It turned out after a trip to the dealers that the steering angle sensor had lost its settings and had theirfore knocked out teh power steering. Had to take it into the dealers and get it hooked up to a computer to clear all the faults and calibrate the steering sensor. It only cost ?42 so not bad really. SO BEWARE IF YOU TAKE THIS JOB ON YOURSELF!!

I am very please with it now and love having the padles to play with as well as volume, telephone control etc. It is now the perfect car. It is also worth noting that the older style wheel also has the overide to turn off tiptronic, you just holf the '+' button for 2 seconds and the then swithches back to fully automatic.

If anyone has any questions then please feel free to post them on here.

Thanks for everyones advice and help allong the way.

DaveL

·
Registered
442 Posts
However all was no rosey! After reconectign the battery and firing her up, All worked but I had lost power steering (orange wheel warnign light and orange ESP light). It turned out after a trip to the dealers that the steering angle sensor had lost its settings and had theirfore knocked out teh power steering. Had to take it into the dealers and get it hooked up to a computer to clear all the faults and calibrate the steering sensor. It only cost ?42 so not bad really. SO BEWARE IF YOU TAKE THIS JOB ON YOURSELF!!
Sorry DaveL, I knew this all along as I had the same problem when i did mine.. nearly wet myself!! I have mention this already in the past, it must be on another post somewhere else.
This will also happens if you change the weight of your power steering settings. You just have to doing a full lock on each direction and it will reset itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now you tell me..... I think we tried that but to no avail, anyway it's all sorted and for ?40 I have piece of mind that all the car systems are 100% after the mod.

Loving the paddels.....

DaveL

41 - 60 of 142 Posts