Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it is possible to just fit the pieces with the buttons on for cruise etc or does the whole wheel have to be changed ?  Interested because i'm thinking of adding cruise....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've thought about this as well - it looks like the two 'corner' bits might pop off so you can replace them with ones that have buttons (I thought about trying to prise mine off tosee but decided better of it !)

I've like the audio controls on mine .....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about this as well - it looks like the two 'corner' bits might pop off so you can replace them with ones that have buttons (I thought about trying to prise mine off tosee but decided better of it !)

I've like the audio controls on mine .....
Yes must admit I would also like the audio controls as i have a car kit which is sited quite close to the volume button so this would be very useful, hopefully somebody in the know will answer later [:)]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I would assume there's wires attached to the back of the plastic bit so it's not just a case of pull them off and stick new ones on.. ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would assume there's wires attached to the back of the plastic bit so it's not just a case of pull them off and stick new ones on.. ?
Yes bound to be some wiring involved my initial question should have been more specific really, probably worth a visit to the dealers to see what parts are involved but then again I'm not likely to get much sense out of them am I [;)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have recently had a letter from my dealer offering to retro fit Cruise control to my golf for ?150? I have no multi-function steering wheel so i assume this fits on the left hand wand. The dealer is Spirit in Leamington Spa

Sarah

·
Registered
442 Posts
On the MK5, the multi fuction wheel don't have cruise control fuction like the Mk4, you still have to uses the control at the side of the steering.
on the pre 2006 spec MFS, you get the vol and track control as well as the telephone control on the button, but on the 2006 spec, seems they have replace the right hand side with MFD controls instead of track.
Apart from getting a new steering wheel, you will also need a new slip ring, and control module.. and might also require a differernt style Airbag..
I will be getting MFS install on my TDI as soon as i find out if i need a new airbag or not...

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now thats the photos we needed to answer the question - I said earlier that I felt my 'corner bits' could be prised off, but I didn't to try incase I broke it - good job I didn't as they are clearly screwed on.

What we need to do is pop off the centre panel of the wheel, remove the retaining screw for the corner bits, aquire the new corner bits with audio controls and wiring (hmmm, easier said than done ! - VW part number anyone ?), replace all , jobs a good-un

OK, so I like to make things sound easier than they are !!!, but it cant be far off that can it ? I mean, when I brought the car I could have spec'ed the MFS - its just a different wheel, so therefore the wiring behing the wheel and into the radio is already there ... right .... ?

Anyway, I'm sure its all academic as I very much doubt VW will sell just the corner bits - its a whole new wheel or nothing at all !

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now thats the photos we needed to answer the question - I said earlier that I felt my 'corner bits' could be prised off, but I didn't to try incase I broke it - good job I didn't as they are clearly screwed on.

What we need to do is pop off the centre panel of the wheel, remove the retaining screw for the corner bits, aquire the new corner bits with audio controls and wiring (hmmm, easier said than done ! - VW part number anyone ?), replace all , jobs a good-un

OK, so I like to make things sound easier than they are !!!, but it cant be far off that can it ? I mean, when I brought the car I could have spec'ed the MFS - its just a different wheel, so therefore the wiring behing the wheel and into the radio is already there ... right .... ?

Anyway, I'm sure its all academic as I very much doubt VW will sell just the corner bits - its a whole new wheel or nothing at all !
YOu can buy the 2 control unit either side and the control module in above the GTI badge... As i said earlier, you will also need a different cambus module and slip ring to support the extra controls. And its very lightly you need a differernt airbag. I am trying to work that part at the moment... theres differernt airbag part number for the MFS and non-MFS wheels..

·
Registered
81 Posts
i am looking to upgrade to a gti s/wheel. should i just go for the standard one or try to get the multifunction?

also will the multifunction give me added features such as setting the limiter or changing some settings or even changing tracks on a cd??

foxy could you get us a total price of changeover..

• s/wheel
  • multifunction control module
  • airbag(if required)

cheers

Baz

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
i am looking to upgrade to a gti s/wheel. should i just go for the standard one or try to get the multifunction?

also will the multifunction give me added features such as setting the limiter or changing some settings or even changing tracks on a cd??

foxy could you get us a total price of changeover..

• s/wheel
  • multifunction control module
  • airbag(if required)

cheers

Baz
Baz

Check my signature link for a gti wheel for sale..........if you existing wheel is same "type" (ie. normal/normal, multifunction/.multifunction, DSG/DSG) then your existing 3-spoke airbag will fit. If you already have a 4-spoke wheel, you'll need an airbag.....I have this too.

The MFSW is around ?350 and the airbag is ?450+

The canbus module would be around ?85.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi

If it is any help to anyone I have the communications workshop manual for the Mk V golf from when I was sorting out my telephone preperation earlier in the year.

One of the section in this describes how to remove and install the button and control unit and some information about fault finding with a VAGCOM. It unfortunately does not have any mention about paddle shift or the GTI wheel.

I am interested in just fitting the buttons to my 2004 GT TDI. Am I correct in thinking I just need the buttons and the control module or is their more to it than that?

Any advise or partnumbers would be helpfull.

Regards

DaveL

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wrong mate, they can be prised off. I did so with my car as I wanted to have those bits replaced due to them peeling. VW however have decided to replace the entire steering wheel under warranty...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Volkswagen do indeed sell just the MF buttons. I saw the parts picture at the dealer, and they come with a length of wiring attached, possibly the ribbon wiring seen in the above pictures. I have a post on this in the general MK5 forum, probably misplaced. I want also to install only the MF buttons, not just the whole steering wheel. Can any one tell me how to remove the steering wheel cover, and also the airbag to get access to the wiring and to remove the blank covers to replace them with the MF buttons?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram showing the parts required? Someone told me that you only need to plug in the MF buttons, you don't need a new airbag or any control units providing you have the three spoke steering wheel. My car is a 2006 se model and had the MFSW as an option, therefore I would have thought it would be prewired for the buttons.

Can anyone offer some more information on this, please...... Seems like many of us could fancy the idea of MFSW.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Volkswagen do indeed sell just the MF buttons. I saw the parts picture at the dealer, and they come with a length of wiring attached, possibly the ribbon wiring seen in the above pictures. I have a post on this in the general MK5 forum, probably misplaced. I want also to install only the MF buttons, not just the whole steering wheel. Can any one tell me how to remove the steering wheel cover, and also the airbag to get access to the wiring and to remove the blank covers to replace them with the MF buttons?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram showing the parts required? Someone told me that you only need to plug in the MF buttons, you don't need a new airbag or any control units providing you have the three spoke steering wheel. My car is a 2006 se model and had the MFSW as an option, therefore I would have thought it would be prewired for the buttons.

Can anyone offer some more information on this, please...... Seems like many of us could fancy the idea of MFSW.
Did you order the car with the MFSW or you just saying VW had MFSW as an option for the 2006 spec cars?
I guessing you didn't order MFSW option with your car and hence you want to fit the MF buttons?

If you didn't order the car with MFSW, then you will need a new cambus modules for the MF buttons ( around ? 120)
You can indeed buy just the control buttons for both side, but you will also need to get the button control modules to go inside the steering wheel to connect those 2 sets of button together. Depends which version of the slip ring been installed on your car, you may also need one of those (around ?50).
the last thing will be for you to work out how to fix them on the steering wheel, as those 3 parts are screwed down and not clip on to the wheel..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thansks for the help Aric! No, I did not order the car with MFSW (wish I had though!). In the order list, MFSW is an optional extra for the 2006 Golf SE model that I have. That is why I thought everything would be prewired with the necessary modules etc. in place. In the options list MFSW is not an option for every model, for example the S model, and my thinking would be that for those models, the canbus modules would be needed, but not for models where MFSW is an optional extra. I could be wrong though, but that is just what seems logical to assume. My dealer can't even tell me exactly what parts I need and says this is not a vw recommended retrofit! They also say they can fit a new MFSW but cannot guarantee it will work! Thanks a bundle to the dealer's support.

If I need the extra parts that you mention I will have to get them; I presume a new canbus (one or two?) module for the MF buttons and maybe a slip ring (pardon my ignorance but what is a slip ring and where does it affix to?). I presume I don't need a new airbag, as it is the same three-spoke steeringwheel as for the MFSW?

The bottom line is that I will have to remove the steeringwheel cover, and the airbag, to get access. Can you please tell me how to do that? I also assume it is not possible to just remove the blank covers that sit where the MF buttons will go without removal of the cover and the airbag?

Lastly, once everything hopefully is in place and connected, will I need any settings to be changed by the dealer in the computer or is it just plug and play? Oh, and what happens to the computer controls that are now controlled via the RHS wiper stalk? In the MFSW setup the computer is controlled via the RHS MF buttons. I have the highline computer on board already, it was a ?45 optional extra well worth it. The highline computer also come included with the MFSW factory option.

Hope you can help further,and any help is gratefully received. If I am successful in this I shall attempt to write/ illustrate

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, when i was looking at the parts came with my car, i have found they have already fitted a version of the slip ring design to be use for the MFSW. As far as i know, a slip ring is where the contact points between the steering wheel electical stuff and the car itself.. I am sure someone can explain better on this "Slip Ring".

There are differernt canbus modules around, the one i got is for uses with MFSW with gear paddles. I know there is another for just MF buttons, but not too sure the part number for that.

If you look at the MFSW picture above, you should be able to see there is another control unit above the GTI logo. This is where the 2 sets of button connects to. You will also need that, or at least a version of that.

There is no steering wheel cover, it is part of the airbag. You will need to unclip the airbag off from the back first before you can get that out. There are also some trims above the steering and dash need to be remove in order to get access to the back area.

Remember, only the 2006 spec buttons and module will control the Highline, so.. make sure you order the right version of the buttons and control modules.
As for to get everything working, you might have to get the dealer or vag-com to enable the modules and functions.. I am not 100% sure.. but thats what i been told, and thats the last part i need to do before mine will work!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Aric, for the useful information you provided. I guess only having a look will tell me if the canbus module is there or not. I'll be sure to order the parts for my exact car - will give them the car ID No.

I am still unsure how to undo the cover/airbag. Can you be more specific in how exactly to remove that. I am quite apprehensive to mess with it in case I break anything or the risk of the airbag activating!

Also, do I need a new wiper stalk, where the computer controls are at present? It could be that once the MF buttons are plugged in, and if required the car is programmed/coded for the MFSW, it will deactivate use of the computer control from the stalk and no new wiper stalk will be required. But I do not know for sure how that side of it will work. It could be that the computer will work both from the MF buttons and the stalk. Can someone with the MFSW installed as a factory option please confirm this?

Regarding VAG-com I believe it is possible to buy this tool and do the code resets oneself. Where is it available from, and what is the cost?

·
Registered
442 Posts
As far as I know, if you have ordered the car with the MFSW on 2006 spec cars.. then the control on the stalk willl be blank off, as control by SW. I am not too sure when fitted the MFSW on our cars, if it will disable the stalk controls, anyway, even if it did i dont' see why you need to replace that.. it just mean you can't uses those buttons...

YOu can buy vag-com, and i think its around 200 pounds.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts