Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 key fobs that I purchased, they are used.... Anyhow going through the motions of trying to synchronise them to my car... I'm having no joy...

I've put my key in the Ignition and tuned to ignition mode.... Shut the door.... press one of the buttons..... manuallly lock the drivers door..... press unlock button... then press unlock on the remote and it doesn't work!!!!

Can anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong..... I've looked at the part numbers on the new remotes and they are identical to my current ones!!!!

??????????????????? Please help

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
You need two existing key fobs to be progammed in already to be able to DIY this job,it won't work with just one.It means either a visit to someone who has VAG-COM,or to a VW main dealer.

Chris.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need two existing key fobs to be progammed in already to be able to DIY this job,it won't work with just one.It means either a visit to someone who has VAG-COM,or to a VW main dealer.

Chris.
Cheers...

I do have 2 original key fobs with my car.... But the casings are alittle tatty, so what I was trying to do is reprogramme these knewer ones that i have to keep it all looking nice...

While carrying out the procedure I had an original fob in the ignition and was trying to reprogram the knewer fob attached to my other key in the drivers door...

Am I doing it wrong then....??? Instead of pressing the button twice should I be pressing it thrice to tell the car its a thrid fob ????

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
This copied and pasted from VWvortex:-

1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.
3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
4. Press either button again once.
5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed.

It sounds like maybe you weren't actually locking the door,just putting the key in the lock?

Chris.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've just done this tonight with a new key. This worked for me.

1. Switch ignition on with old key,but do not start the car.
  2. Lock the drivers door with the key you want to program.
  3. Press and hold the remote unlock until you here the alarm chirp.
  4. Switch off the ignition.

This should program the key to the remote locking,but you will still need to code it to the immolbiliser.For that you will need your SKC code.

GOOF

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This copied and pasted from VWvortex:-

1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.
3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
4. Press either button again once.
5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed.

It sounds like maybe you weren't actually locking the door,just putting the key in the lock?

Chris.
Tried all that and still not working...... I'm so puzzled!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've now even tried doing this procedure with the fobs that are already programmed with the car.... Whilst one key is in the ignition and the other fob in the door, I still don't get this chirp sound.....

I wonder if having the car chipped recently has anything to do with it...????

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Have you got the right frequency key for your car?,as there are two frequencies..433Mhz and 434Mhz.If you split your old key and your "new" key,the frequencies will be printed on the inside of the button section.

Just a thought.

GOOF

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
It can't as it's all dealt with by the CCM (Central Conveniance Module) and immobilisor built into the instrument cluster,nothing to do with the ECU.Is the central locking working ok from the key,because if the CCM doesn't get the lock command,it won't fully go into programming mode?

Chris.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you got the right frequency key for your car?,as there are two frequencies..433Mhz and 434Mhz.If you split your old key and your "new" key,the frequencies will be printed on the inside of the button section.

Just a thought.

GOOF
Split the keys and both on the same freq 434 mhz

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can't as it's all dealt with by the CCM (Central Conveniance Module) and immobilisor built into the instrument cluster,nothing to do with the ECU.Is the central locking working ok from the key,because if the CCM doesn't get the lock command,it won't fully go into programming mode?

Chris.
Yes Chris.... Car locks and unlocks with no problems..... both with key and existing remotes???

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your car has been fully de locked is this a prob to get the key programmed to your car??

I only have the one key and am going to get a new one.... I have been told this will cost around 120.00 from VW.....

Just in the above post somebody put they need to lock the door manually from the outside........... what if i have no locks???

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
If your car has been fully de locked is this a prob to get the key programmed to your car??

I only have the one key and am going to get a new one.... I have been told this will cost around 120.00 from VW.....

Just in the above post somebody put they need to lock the door manually from the outside........... what if i have no locks???
VAG-COM then I'm afraid.

Chris.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So a VW dealer wont be able to help me? I still have the boot lock so can they do it that way?

If not where can i go to get this done? how have other people got round this

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
So a VW dealer wont be able to help me? I still have the boot lock so can they do it that way?

If not where can i go to get this done? how have other people got round this
Yes a VW dealer can do this for you as they do it all via the OBD port,the same way as VAG-COM is used.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Cheers man does ?140 sound correct
If that's just to program it,then no,that is way overpriced.It won't even take them half an hour to do it.If it's to supply a key as well,then that would be about right.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts